Why did you decide to transition? and how do you feel now?

SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
Just curious about everyone else's reason(s).

For me,
1. I was sick of such a long routine of blow drying, flat ironing, curling etc.
2. I was tired of frying and relaxing my hair and the effects (dryness,
breakage, weak hair, damage etc.)
3. I was begining to feel like I was lying to myself... My hair isn't
straight!! So why do I work so hard to get it that way and keep it that
way? It's not me.
4. I started to wonder what my natural curls looked like... I've almost
forgotten because I've been relaxing for over 10 years!!
5. Finally figured out, I don't need a relaxer to achieve the straight look
even if I wanted to try it again later.
6. I want to LOVE MY CURLS.
7. Finally realized NATURALLY CURLY HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL.

Now at 6 1/2 months into it, I'm finding that it definitely is challenging to stick with it. I am always having to defend my hair to opposing individuals (mainly a relaxed-haired coworker). Sometimes, I feel like everyone is staring at me when I wear my hair down and curly. Sometimes, I wonder if I still want to go through with it. I wonder the end result will look like. So far, I like that my hair has made progress. I'm on CG so I feel this has helped encourage curl in the relaxed part of my hair. I look at it as a learning experience- learning how to manage my hair (had no clue before NC.com), learning how to deal with the criticism; and now I know how to use a diffuser. I don't plan on doing the BC, I just can't let go so easy. Overall, I am proud that I've made it this far :D:D:D and my family has been really supportive :D:D:D which I am very thankful for.

edited to add: I've been wearing my hair curly every day since starting CG and haven't had the urge to straighten yet!
Lotsa 3c curls
Curly Journey Album
Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have

Comments

• Chriscurls MomChriscurls Mom Registered Users Posts: 13
    Hi Curlyblasian,

I have been on the board for about a week or so, trying to learn decipher and understand what transitioning was all about. i have read your many suggestions your, heartaches and more and feel like I already know you :wink:

I started this process, actually by accident. I received my last relaxer and color in 6/06. I had been without color for over a year because of problems in the last five to six years of hair breakage. I knew within 2 days when my scalped starting hurting and burning here I go again.

I grew up without a relaxer and received one my first year of college. I thought i had hit pay dirt because I did not have to wash, blowdry and curl, do wetsets and all those tedious things you have to do to keep up AA hair. My mother was extremely upset because she felt like the texture of my hair did not call for chemicals. So here I am 25 years later with chemical damage all in the name of being able to swing my hair and it look silky. You see over the years people have always complemented me on how "beautiful" my hair was :angel:angel.gif and i loved the attention. But in the last few years it has become more and more difficult to maintain. I took my hair more after my father and he has an extremely fine wavy curly mixture of hair, but it is also the most fragile, I am probably a mixture between a 3 b or c, can't figure out yet waiting for enough new growth.

As I read the post and replies on this board a good feeling started to come over me and i made a major decision that I am tired of the emergencee treatments, the visits to the dermatologist, the $125.00 or more salon visits, "I am not my hair" :lol: and I want ot be comfrotable in my skin.

Thanks for letting me vent :!: [/img]
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    transitioning, last relaxer 6/06
    Anything is acheivable if you believe
    PW - crisscross
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    because healthy hair is good lookin hair. Right now i feel mad because it takes so long but i'm happy i'm smart enough to do it.
    3b-3c CG
  • ParasolParasol Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 291
    I still had Dreads when my Sister from the US came over. The first thing I saw knocked me of my feet: Her stunning ,beautiful curls.
    I was so inspired and thought : Hey, she almost has the same texture like my hair, why don't I just give this a try??

And then I cut off my hair November 2004.
    At first I wanted to relax it regularly ,but then I found this site and CG. Now I'm still transitioning without the big chop and my hair is healthy as never before.

On the one hand I feel gret about my curls ,because I love them, on the other hand I dislike the two textures and how my relaxed hir behaves, but that'S ok.

• SexyCurlyGirlSexyCurlyGirl Registered Users Posts: 9
    one day i looked at my hair and thought: i really want to stop killing it. my hair has been relaxed for 3 years grows slowly and it breaks like crazy because of all the stuff i've done to it...i just want my curls back because i feel its time for me to go back to who i really am..and i think curls are the best...i have been transitioning for 3 months using a weave and will continue with the weaves so i can get the "big Cut" and because my hair grows faster when its braided up..good luck to everyone else!!!!!
    i was doing straight but now i want my curls back...
  • bubbles76bubbles76 Registered Users Posts: 288
    My reasons to stop relaxing (I'm natural now) were not as deep as everyone elses: I moved two hours away from the person I trusted the most to relax my hair. Being in the military, I exercised very hard three times a week, and I always sweated out a perm. So I just said to myself "what's the point in all this?" and stopped relaxing.

I transitioned, because I didn't think I had the features for short hair. I also wanted enough hair to pull back into a bun, so that people wouldn't be looking at me crazy in my military unit. I transitioned for 18 months. During that time, I discovered that AA women DO have choices about our hair, and that our hair does not have to be straight to be beautiful. I think that if I had chopped my hair early, I would not have had the appreciation for my hair that I do now.
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
  • Epiphany428Epiphany428 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I am new to the website. I have been searching for a site like this of about 3 months now. I decided about 4 months ago to stop relaxing my hair. I had a relaxer for about 20 years, since I was 13 and I just got tired of it. I have always loved natural hair. Off and on I would go natural then back to a relaxer. My relaxer has grown out in the back, but my ends are still straight. I cut some of them off, but now my hair is a little lopsided but its ok. Transition stage is a ugly one for me, but I am not going back to a relaxer. Plus I love my natural hair. I have a 4 year old daughter who I use MissJessies Baby Buttercream for her curly twists and she loves it. I will never straighten her hair either.

Since I am new, what does BC stands for? :D
    Last Relaxer: Apr 2006
    Still have straight ends :-(
  • elliemay72elliemay72 Registered Users Posts: 49
    "BC" stands for Big Chop! :D

I am transitioning because I got tired of "see thru hair" and little broken pieces of hair on my shoulders and the bathroom floor.
    Loving my natural 4a curls, coils and squiggles!
    elliemay72 wrote:
    I am transitioning because I got tired of "see thru hair"
    oh i so know what you mean! :evil: lol
    3b-3c CG
  • curlee4lifecurlee4life Registered Users Posts: 219
    Just curious about everyone else's reason(s).

For me,
    1. I was sick of such a long routine of blow drying, flat ironing, curling etc.
    2. I was tired of frying and relaxing my hair and the effects (dryness,
    breakage, weak hair, damage etc.)
    3. I was begining to feel like I was lying to myself... My hair isn't
    straight!! So why do I work so hard to get it that way and keep it that
    way? It's not me.
    4. I started to wonder what my natural curls looked like... I've almost
    forgotten because I've been relaxing for over 10 years!!
    5. Finally figured out, I don't need a relaxer to achieve the straight look
    even if I wanted to try it again later.
    6. I want to LOVE MY CURLS.
    7. Finally realized NATURALLY CURLY HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL.

Now at 6 1/2 months into it, I'm finding that it definitely is challenging to stick with it. I am always having to defend my hair to opposing individuals (mainly a relaxed-haired coworker). Sometimes, I feel like everyone is staring at me when I wear my hair down and curly. Sometimes, I wonder if I still want to go through with it. I wonder the end result will look like. So far, I like that my hair has made progress. I'm on CG so I feel this has helped encourage curl in the relaxed part of my hair. I look at it as a learning experience- learning how to manage my hair (had no clue before NC.com), learning how to deal with the criticism; and now I know how to use a diffuser. I don't plan on doing the BC, I just can't let go so easy. Overall, I am proud that I've made it this far :D:D:D and my family has been really supportive :D:D:D which I am very thankful for.

edited to add: I've been wearing my hair curly every day since starting CG and haven't had the urge to straighten yet!

My reasons are most of the above. I have been relaxer free since Aug 05, BC in May 06 (3 inches long). My natural hair is now 4,5 inches long and I love it! I can finally wear a headband and am now looking for scarves.

I was in Ireland for two weeks on vacation and had no worries, CW, styling lotion from Blended Beauty, a quick shake and I was ready to go.

Can't wait to see how my hair behaves as it gets longer.

:D

event.png

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
    BC: May 2006

Curly Blasian or any CGer's,

How do you CG on relaxed hair :?: I Read the curly girl book by Massey, but I am real confused because how do I know what type of hair I have?hence how do I know what method to use to care for my hair??
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    PW - crisscross

How do you CG on relaxed hair :?: I Read the curly girl book by Massey, but I am real confused because how do I know what type of hair I have?hence how do I know what method to use to care for my hair??
    I thought there was only one method :?
    3b-3c CG
    Was that confusing?? sorry,

I am speaking of types of curls?
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    PW - crisscross
  • SYBSYB Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Neophyte
    I chose to transition because I was tired of always having to get up extra early to flat iron my hair, spending half of my day at the Salon getting my hair done, and being a "slave to the weather". I truly felt so free after I started wearing my hair in its natural state.

Now that I am 100 percent natural, I truly have learned to appreciate my hair so much better than before. Even though my transitioning journey did hit a few bumps along the way, I am glad that I stuck it out.
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
    Was that confusing?? sorry,

I am speaking of types of curls?
    oooh! like how much moisture you need and what products work best.. my bad. :oops:
    3b-3c CG
    That's alright Blush, sometimes I tend to write like I talk, so after I reread it seems confusing to me also :lol:
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    PW - crisscross
  • melledelvanimelledelvani Registered Users Posts: 49
    I'm transitioning for similiar reasons. This may be a dumb question, but what is CG?
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614

I do the Curly Girl method a lot like whats in the book. I do the routine for the Corkscrew (tighter) curls. You'll be able to tell how loose or tight your curls are once you have like 2-4 inches of new growth but the longer the new growth, the more likely you'll be able to see your true curl pattern.

Now I don't wash my hair the exact same way as in the book-for example, she says when you first get your hair wet, you're not supposed to touch it, just let it fall naturally and let the water fall down naturally...
    Well I can't not touch it, I have to touch it and swoosh the water on my hair just to make sure ALL of it gets wet. my hair is pretty thick.

I wash my hair daily. I don't use shampoo at all. I use Suave Naturals conditioner to wash, then a more moisturzing one to condition. I use a diffuser almost everyday. I do not use silicones at all. I do deep treatments about 2 times monthly.
    hth
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
    I
    do the Curly Girl method a lot like whats in the book. I do the routine for the Corkscrew (tighter) curls. You'll be able to tell how loose or tight your curls are once you have like 2-4 inches of new growth but the longer the new growth, the more likely you'll be able to see your true curl pattern.

Now I don't wash my hair the exact same way as in the book-for example, she says when you first get your hair wet, you're not supposed to touch it, just let it fall naturally and let the water fall down naturally...
    Well I can't not touch it, I have to touch it and swoosh the water on my hair just to make sure ALL of it gets wet. my hair is pretty thick.

I wash my hair daily. I don't use shampoo at all. I use Suave Naturals conditioner to wash, then a more moisturzing one to condition. I use a diffuser almost everyday. I do not use silicones at all. I do deep treatments about 2 times monthly.
    hth

I started by using VO5 Teatree therapy shampoo and the elucence with olive oil as my moisturizing conditioner, leave some on as a leave in. My problem has been in the styling products, I am real sensitive to proteins (still trying to determine which ones) and I have been just trying products locally. I want to make a purchase this weekend, but still trying to determine which curl line will work best for me. I will post a picture this weekend and maybe you can give me some CG advice :wink:[/u]
    Chriscurls Mom 3b/c??
    PW - crisscross
  • edoras85edoras85 Registered Users Posts: 27
    The reason why i transition was pretty much because i was curious. Everytime it was time for my relaxer i always loved to touch my new growth wondering what it would look like natural. There really wasnt much of a transition time for me since i had braids for about a 9 months. That saved me lots of grief. After I took my braids out i got my hair cut and I've been natural ever since. It wasnt hard for me to except my shorter hair probably because i had over a years worth of growth. By the way does any one know of some great products i can use on my 3C/4A hair?
    3c or 4a...who knows?:confused2:
  • LadyJAHLadyJAH Registered Users Posts: 81
    I once heard that crazy is "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

I want long hair!!!!

For years I have been getting a perm every six weeks and my hair has continually gotten shorter and shorter. And the only time that my hair grew exceptionally long was when my mom gave me a curl (she was a cosmetologist) or when it was natural. Well, since I don't want to trade one chemical for another, I am going natural.
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Banned Users Posts: 772
    I noticed my hair had gotten thinner and was falling out in huge clumps... It didn't began to fall out untill after about 6 months the ends were just breakin off as well as it breaking off at the middle and there were NO new strands growng in i found my hair extremely thin not only at the ends but at the roots too...it starting growing back in different textures too, extremly curly and drawn up in the back, course and stingy on top... So i stopped relaxing it's been 3 years and my hair has not recovered :cry:
  • holly8holly8 Registered Users Posts: 632
    i feel bad for you curly so hair texture does change after perm
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • PreciousHoneyPreciousHoney Registered Users Posts: 254
    I got kinda tired of doin my hair, so one day I decided to go curly. I still had some curl even though I was relaxed and I got lots of compliments. People tellin me it looked a lot more healthy and they really liked it. So i figured what the hell, I will stop relaxing and havent looked back since.

I can also straighten it now better than I could with the relaxer. Just better knowledge about what to do with my hair I guess.
    Precious Honey :)
    3c with some 3b at the bottom.
    Im lovin HENNA
    Light protein use

Co-wash: Suave Daily Clarifying Co
    Rinse-out: Back to Basics Pom Peach (old bottle) or GVP Conditioning Balm
    DT: GVP Condidtioning Balm with heat
    Leave in: Elucence MBC
    Gel: HEBE or Aussie Instant Freeze gel.
    Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Balance
    http://public.fotki.com/Precioushoney/
  • curlytwin16curlytwin16 Registered Users Posts: 4
    for me it was a long journy before i decided to go natural. here are my reasons for doing so:

1. relaxers were drying out my hair. add to that the fact that after you relax you can't just let it air dry you have to blow dry it straight. (it's like; why relax if youre going to have to do that anyway?!)
    2. i wanted to know what my real hair looked like. i've been relaxing since i was 7 years old.
    3. i live in a moslty white populated area, and started getting tired of people asking me how i get my hair so straight? when i would reply "i relax" they would look so confused. i was starting to feel like i was pretending to be some thing i'm not. plus most white people including my friends don't understand why AA are the only culture that permantly alters the natural state of our hair. they don't know good hair or bad hair we are the ones who do it to our selves.
    4. i wanted wash and wear hair. most people think that it requires more maintanence and money to care for natural hair. but on the contrary relaxing your hair at the salon then getting blow dried and wrapped cost an average of $50 depending on the salon. thats $600 a year! now even with the little 2and 1/2in. new growth i have i just wash my hair work conditioning creme (sunsilk 24/7 creme for dry hair and mixed chicks are gods gift!) in my hair and let it dry!

i currently have 2 1/2 inches of new growth and love them. they are soft and elastic. when i wash my hair and put conditioner in it i love feeling the curls come to life; they just drink up the conditioner and then melt into silkiness. the relaxed hair just absorbed it and never felt like it had enough. its safe to say that i will never go back!
    Haitian/part cuban (my mother is half cuban ,but i consider my self moslty haitian) with transitioning hair, with coarse 3c curls in the front to back center and fine 3c/4a hair on sides, 4a hair on nape of neck (kitchen).
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Registered Users Posts: 678
    i have gone natural twice, and both were for vastly different reasons.

the first transition took place when i was 13. i told my mother that i wasn't going to spend another six hours in a hair salon to get my long hair done. i had all that hair and didn't do a thing with it other than wear it in a ponytail. it was just a waste of time and money.

the second transition was at 17. i didn't have the courage to call my mama's bluff about allowing me to go to my junior prom with a press n curl. she said i "had" to get a relaxer. it was cute, but it wasn't me. after a week, i wanted my puff back. i transitioned about six months then cut my hair.

i am happily natural :D i love that whenever i have the urge for straight hair i can do that and in a few weeks go back to my crowning curly glory. being natural is the best of both worlds.
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
  • NaturallyCurlyVixenNaturallyCurlyVixen Registered Users Posts: 37
    The first time I transitioned was because I wanted to see what my natural curls looked like and I wanted to stop putting harsh chemicals in my hair. This is my second time transitioning and I am doing it this time because my scalp was burned badly by the relaxer I received on Saturday, and my hair isn't healthy anymore, it's fried and weak. I realized how beautiful my natural hair is and I want it back. I like feeling unique with my curly hair, instead of having straight hair like everyone else-- I took it for granted. I want the freedom that natural hair gives me, meaning-- that I won’t have to put any chemicals in it every few months, and it's easier to take care of. Plus I don’t have to get trims as often because my hair barely splits when it's natural (I went 8 months w/o a trim and only needed 1/2 inch off when I finally did trim it) I am transitioning because I want that freedom back.
    *~Asia~*
    All natural for the second time since October 30, 2010 after cutting the last 3-4 inches of t-laxed hair. I am learning to love and style my curly 3C/4A hair without frying it with the flat iron :mrgreen:

My goal is to have BSL hair again in 18 months! I'm a PJ and always on the look out for my Holy Grail! :laughing6:
  • pharmgrrrlpharmgrrrl Registered Users Posts: 3
    I decided to transition because I was tired of being a hypocrite. I teach in a predominately Black school, and I was telling my students to love themselves for who they were created to be, and to be the best them that they can be. Yet, every three months, I was reaching for the jar of relaxer and making my hair do what it was not intended to do. I wanted my girls to understand that they didn't need to buy hair by the bag, or put harmful chemicals on their hair (or in their bodies) for them to be lovely.

I discussed my transition with my students, because they're bold and will ask questions. There were days when the hair was frightful. I have the grad school ID photo to prove it! But it also meant that when I came in to school and was having a hair disaster because the Twist-out didn't quite take that day, my students knew that my bad hair day was serving a higher purpose. :D

I transitioned for 10 months, and it's been since April 2005 since I had my last relaxer. I did the big chop on Valentine's day 2006. I've never made a better fashion decision.

To anyone wondering if it's worth it, be patient. It's definitely worth the wait!
    Take No Prznrz
  • mahogony_pearlmahogony_pearl Registered Users Posts: 4
    Honestly, I just want to see what my natural hair looks like and I want to show the world MY beauty.
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    Because I wanted crazy wild curls! Although I always had what seemed to be healthy relaxed hair. It never grew past a certain point and I could not be free with optional color choices.

I was natural for a yr and a half got a texturizer. HATED IT! because they weren't my beautiful tiny ringlets. It was average waves like everyone else. Grew that out slowly once again getting trims every 2 or 3 months. And now Ive been natural for a year and a half. And love the flexibility. When I want it straight I rollerset or flat iron. Or Blowdry- I just bought a bio-ionic blowdryer. Its def the ish has received the nickname "conditioner with a cord" and a metropolis flat iron. Both very expensive but my hair never feels mistreated or dry. Those tools are specially helpful now in the winter.

I get frustrated sometimes that because of shrinkage, by the time my hair dries my curs look so short but it looks so pretty. People always want to pull on them . I cant blame them I cant keep myself from playing with them all day.

Now I'm just wondering should I invest in a curly cut! hmm tsk tsk tsk!

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • teppuMteppuM Registered Users Posts: 19
    how do you find out what type of curly hair you have? i'm reeeeaaally trying to not go back to relaxer but i'm tired of not being able to do anything with my hair. and i'm too paranoid to chop off my relaxed hair because i'm worried that i won't like my natural hair and i'll have gotten rid of the length
    (which isn't really much, it's just that whole "i have to have long hair to look female!" thing =p i know, i know, it's goofy)

i've got alot of new growth but some of it i think it still the weird hair you grow after you relax and your hair follicles are still flipping out. and just knowing that relaxer makes them do that in the first place is another reason why i want to stop using it.

my main reasons for trying this is because i want my hair to grow, which it isn't really doing with relaxer beause of breakage, and i have an affinity for dying my hair blue, which involves a little bleach and bleach and relaxer do NOT go well together -- but i've seen people with natural hair who bleach their whole head and it remains relatively happy
    i just want to know what options my natural hair would have before i make a huge committment... becaaaaaaause to be 100% honest, i don't think i would like the way an afro would look on me, and i'm wondering if i've got the kind of hair that would just turn into an afro and do nothing else

i've got some little coils, some odd loser big ones (i wish i had a head of THOSE) some that are kind of wavy, and then some of the Z-shaped stuff, and whenever i read anything about curly hair, there's an odd sort of attitude like "if you've got Z-shapes, there's nothing you can do with it!!!!"
    bleh...

aaaanyway, this semi-neurotic post has been brough to you by teppuM =p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file