anyone do intervals on a treadmill?

2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I've been gardening and walking outside all summer, but now I need to get back to the gym. I want to do interval training on a treadmill. Does anyone have any good iphone app or downloadable program that they use? I'm looking for something like the audio program for the C25K, but just for intervals.... TIA!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Comments

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    2poodles...I've been using this...love it!
    http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86
    btw...don't let the w/s scare you! :laughing4: Suz is one :cool: chick :D
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    hiya Poodles,
    I don't know much about doing intervals via iphone etc, though have done intervals in the past and sort of just make them up as I go. Intervalling by the minute or mileage. What are you looking to do, where are you at?
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm just wanting to do some interval training - without progressing to all out running. I've done the C25K program in the past and continuous running is too hard on my spine with my scoliosis. But interval training is supposed to be a good way to get cardio in a short amount of time. So, rather than watching the timer on the treadmill constantly, I was hoping there'd be a podcast or something I could put on my iphone that I could use that would prompt me to alternate speeds every so often.
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    I see, that would be more practical. Sorry I'm not much help with those, I agree though that looking at the treadmill every so often does get tedious and sort of can kill the workout. Maybe you can just go by song, assuming that most songs are around 3-4min, run for 2 songs, walk for 1 (etc) and kind of set up your playlist so that your run songs are higher energy, feel good run songs, and your walk songs are a little less intense (though are not snoozers, save those for cool down ;)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    What about just doing select weeks in the middle of a running-interval program that meet your needs?

I'm doing the podrunner freeway-to-10k program right now, and I'm on week 3, which is 6 repeats of 5 minutes run/90 second rest. Would something like that work for you?
    Thanks for all of the good ideas - I'm gonna look into them!

• runnerchickirunnerchicki Posts: 475Registered Users
    I almost always do my intervals on a treadmill. It is the best way for me to hit my pace consistently through the workout. The treadmill forces me to keep my speed up.

But other than that, I avoid the 'mill like the plague.:pukeright:
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • BattleWitchBattleWitch Posts: 144Registered Users
    2poodles wrote: »
    I'm just wanting to do some interval training - without progressing to all out running. I've done the C25K program in the past and continuous running is too hard on my spine with my scoliosis. But interval training is supposed to be a good way to get cardio in a short amount of time. So, rather than watching the timer on the treadmill constantly, I was hoping there'd be a podcast or something I could put on my iphone that I could use that would prompt me to alternate speeds every so often.

I do interval training because of my bad back. I had surgery back in '01 where they removed part of the bulging disc pressing into my sciatic nerve. I found someone in the last year who's helped me manage the constant on and off pain that made working out consistently very hard, and he recommended interval training rather than walking at one fast speed for 30 minutes. I'm now up to 50 minutes with 5 minute slow/10 minute fast intervals. I've been picking up speed as I go along and including hand weights.

I'm a little OCD, so I got a Timex watch that watches my heart rate and has a timer for interval training. I love it but my only complaint is that you can't set it up for 4 5-min. intervals and 3 10-min. intervals. It can only be all 4 5-min./4 10-min OR 3 5-min./3 10-min. etc. A bit of a pain in the a** but I work around it. I also got a Sansa Clip player and I put several playlists on it that I've specifically built so that the music is my guide to when to change from fast to slow rather than staring at my tread's timer or checking my watch too often. I can manage the player through Windows 11 and have several different workout playlists depending on my mood, making it very easy to use (the combination of the watch and the music really helps).

Anyway, if you're interested in the watch, here's the link:
    http://www.timex.com/dp/B001JH6Q24?ie=UTF8&n=267158011&timexBrand=core

There are other types you might like more from Timex and from different companies but this will give you an idea of what to look for.

Good luck.

--BW
    DB's Daily Leave-In, DB's Natural Coils Curling Jelly, DB's Avocado & Wild Plum Twisting Cream, Curl Junkies Smoothing Condish, CJ's Smoothing Gellie, Qhem Burdock Root Butter Cream, Alma & Olive Heavy Cream, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
    Hey - thanks for the link, BW - I'll look into it. I like the idea of programming a watch or something to do the thinking for me. And I'd love to do intervals to music...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file