DT for dry, thick hair....

Just another recipie...

1/2 of an avacado, chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 tbs of olive oil
3 tbs of honey
1/2 a can of coconut milk

Blend all the the ingredients together in a blender. Freeze the rest to preserve it.
mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.

Comments

• klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    tried it. . . love it. . . thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• SherrybpSherrybp Posts: 20Registered Users
    I want to try this recipe this morning. Can anyone tell me if you apply this on dry hair or damp hair?
    3B very thick long colored corkscrews
  • klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sherrybp wrote:
    I want to try this recipe this morning. Can anyone tell me if you apply this on dry hair or damp hair?

I put it on in the shower, on wet hair.
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    does the avocado have to be ripe? mine is hard as a rock and i didn`t do the mixture as yet.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • honeebuttahoneebutta Posts: 15Registered Users
    holly8 wrote:
    does the avocado have to be ripe? mine is hard as a rock and i didn`t do the mixture as yet.
    Hi Holly8,
    Just my opinion, but I would let the avocado ripen so that you can mash it into the mixture. HTH

:) HB
    BC'd 10/1/04- will NEVER go back to relaxers!!! Coils, curls, waves & frizz. Currently using Curls CC,MS&GG, homemade jojoba jelly,castor oil, coconut oil &IC Fantasia Gel. Revlon Colorsilk Color. Still searching for that HG combo.
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    honeebutta-thank you i used the mixture 2 days ago but i didn`t have the honey,i think that the hot oil treatment is better for my hair.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
    holly8 wrote:
    honeebutta-thank you i used the mixture 2 days ago but i didn`t have the honey,i think that the hot oil treatment is better for my hair.

Hi Holly,
    I have tried honee ( :lol: )I mean honey, I mean honey mixed with conditioner and it works like a dream. My hair was smooth and the curls popped. Next, I plan to mix honee w/jojoba, coconut, almond or olive oil as a hot oil treatment. I'll let all know how it goes.
    BC'd 10/1/04- will NEVER go back to relaxers!!! Coils, curls, waves & frizz. Currently using Curls CC,MS&GG, homemade jojoba jelly,castor oil, coconut oil &IC Fantasia Gel. Revlon Colorsilk Color. Still searching for that HG combo.
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    So how does a hot oil treatment with honey work? Is there some kind of recipe?
    What is the method?

Thank you
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    stellaBaby wrote:
    What is the method?

Thank you

Hi SB,
    Depending on your hair length, warm 1/4-1/3 cup of jojoba, coconut, olive or almond oil in the microwave(you have to experiment w/ the time depending on your microwave). Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey. Test it for temperature before you use it. Apply to your hair especially the ends. The mixture is drippy so I apply it over the sink or tub. Let sit w/ a plastic cap for as long as you want and then shampoo once very lightly w/ a sulfate free shampoo. I use Curls Cleansing Cream. Let me know how it goes. :)
    honeebutta wrote:
    stellaBaby wrote:
    What is the method?

Thank you

Hi SB,
    Depending on your hair length, warm 1/4-1/3 cup of jojoba, coconut, olive or almond oil in the microwave(you have to experiment w/ the time depending on your microwave). Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey. Test it for temperature before you use it. Apply to your hair especially the ends. The mixture is drippy so I apply it over the sink or tub. Let sit w/ a plastic cap for as long as you want and then shampoo once very lightly w/ a sulfate free shampoo. I use Curls Cleansing Cream. Let me know how it goes. :)

Hey HB :)
    Thank you for the tip and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out, I just have a few questions- I apologize but I wanna do this right.

Do I need to have all those oils, can I just substitue with any of these oils instead for example this is what I have on my shelf coconut, rosemary, peppermint, sweet almond, vit E, lavendar.

And can I use an acv rinse instead of a shampoo to clarify or at least the v05 lime conditioner?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    stellaBaby wrote:
    honeebutta wrote:
    stellaBaby wrote:
    What is the method?

Thank you

Hi SB,

Hey HB :)
    Thank you for the tip and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out, I just have a few questions- I apologize but I wanna do this right.

Do I need to have all those oils, can I just substitue with any of these oils instead for example this is what I have on my shelf coconut, rosemary, peppermint, sweet almond, vit E, lavendar.

And can I use an acv rinse instead of a shampoo to clarify or at least the v05 lime conditioner?

No problem SB, I'm more than happy to help. You can use any and/or alll the oils except the peppermint in combo w/ honey. I wouldn't clarify because that would defeat the purpose of the oils by stripping them out of your hair. I'm not sure about the conditioner. Anyone on the boards have any opinion about conditioning washes after hot oil treatments? I'm thinking that the conditioner might make the oils really gooey and hard to rinse out. You could use a castile shampoo which is quite gentle. Let me know how it all goes. :D
    honeebutta wrote:
    No problem SB, I'm more than happy to help. You can use any and/or alll the oils except the peppermint in combo w/ honey. I wouldn't clarify because that would defeat the purpose of the oils by stripping them out of your hair. I'm not sure about the conditioner. Anyone on the boards have any opinion about conditioning washes after hot oil treatments? I'm thinking that the conditioner might make the oils really gooey and hard to rinse out. You could use a castile shampoo which is quite gentle. Let me know how it all goes. :D

Hey :)
    why can't i mix peppermint with honey?
    i think i might try this on my 10th day without shampoo- which is today.
    Okie wish me luck lol/
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    stellaBaby wrote:
    honeebutta wrote:

Hey :)
    why can't i mix peppermint with honey?
    i think i might try this on my 10th day without shampoo- which is today.
    Okie wish me luck lol/

Hi SB,
    Congrats on your 10th day w/ no poo! It's not that you can't use the peppermint oil, I just wouldn't because it a stimulating oil and very strong. I use it to give myself a stimulating scalp massage NOT as part of a HOT for the hair itself. I mix it w/ a little aloe vera gel and massage it into my scalp, then CO wash. Maybe you could do the scalp massage and the HOT at the same time. Multitask.........your hair and scalp @ the same time. Hmmmmmmmm........ Good luck. :)
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    Oh gosh sorry for not answering any of the questions! I'm glad you liked the recipe, klloydmajestic!

:arrow: I apply this after I take a shower. First I shampoo, either with a CG friendly one if my hair is really dry, or with a sulfate one if my hair just needs a little moisture but has build up. Then I dry with a t-shirt and apply the DT. I leave it on for 30-60 minutes.
    :arrow: Like honeebutta said, the avocado should ripe so you can blend it easier.
    :arrow: For hot oil treatments, I usually do the ends only or else my hair gets oily. I wouldn't use peppermint because it could be irritating, but pretty much any moisturizing oil (except mineral) is good. I like jojoba, olive, and coconut. I really want to try avocado, shea, and sweet almond.
    :arrow: After hot oil treatments, I don't condition wash or else I'll get overconditioned. I might use a gentle shampoo if I used to much oil. Usually, I just rinse and leave a little in.

I hope that helped!
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file