CurlTalk

Sore scalp???

Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users
For the past 2-3 weeks my scalp particularly in the front has been extremely sore. But only sore in certain places. I thought at first it was due to hairpin/ bobbypin placement but my scalp was sore even when doing wngs.

Any theories?
confused curls
addicted to henna

Fotki

Comments

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    No answers or solutions but I can relate. My crown area can get really sore like I've been pulling on it but I know I haven't. It would be sore when washing as well as when dry. I noticed it last winter for the first time.

I've noticed that some product gets left on in that area by accident when I'm washing and maybe it was an allergic reaction of some kind? It comes and goes.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I hope you get some responses because Im having the same problem. The area near my crown gets really sore for reasons I'll probably never know. I don't place bobby pins there, my hair is never pulled back tight, and I haven't manipulated my hair in almost two weeks. I started dry detangling gently w/ my fingers and it hurts to even lift the hair around that area.:pale:
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
    :dontknow:I get this sometimes..but I always thought it was from my scalp being dry at the time. It seemed to go away after I washed it and applied some type of moisturizer.
  • ThkchkThkchk Posts: 203Registered Users
    My scalp does this as well. If I do a scalp check I usually find an abrasion or scalp pimples. If you have those be careful and get it checked. I had a case of it last summer that lead to severe damage to the crown that is still recovering.
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users
    Thkchk wrote: »
    My scalp does this as well. If I do a scalp check I usually find an abrasion or scalp pimples. If you have those be careful and get it checked. I had a case of it last summer that lead to severe damage to the crown that is still recovering.

I have not experienced anything like this. It's just sore to the touch.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    had the same issue last week. the crown towards the front...very sore to touch. i had no abrasions or scalp pimples.i can tel the scalp itself was just tender as hell. it happens every now and then. i would just try to massage it
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users
    I've been doing that I just find it very strange. I would have no problem dealing with it if I knew this wan indicator that my hair was growing.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    for me, the hair in that area is most fragile. its wiry and most breakge occurs in that area...i wish i knew why in the hell the madness was going on too
    I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone knows what causes this or also experiences this and has some tips. I'm having this soreness again at the crown. It's not see through but it is thinner in this area.

I don't comb hardly anymore or pull my hair tight even for my pony puff. I've also been rinsing really well in that are just in case it was an allergy but it hasn't changed. If this keeps up I may go to a derm.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • sassywillowsassywillow Posts: 829Registered Users
    I had this problem for awhile and here are a few things I did to alleviate the problem which eventually went away. Sometimes I get a sore spot in the crown and I wash that spot with Neutrogena t-gel or t-sal.

1. Put aloe gel on the spot to cool it.
    2. Use unscented hair products.
    3. Try t-gel or t-sal on that spot as it could be dermatitis.
    4. I saw a Derm and he gave me a cortisone cream for the spot. I wouldn't advise it though because it can make the scalp skin thin which means it will always be sensitive to strong scents. To this day I am highly allergic to strongly scented products
    5. Rene Furterer has an oil for sensitive scalps that is a cooling peppermint that worked for me.

If I can think of what else I used I will edit post. HTH
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
    Thanks Sassywillow. It does tingle/burn at times but is mostly sore. I'll start putting AVG on it and see if that helps.

SL APL BSL MBL
  • dmarie21dmarie21 Posts: 213Registered Users
    :dontknow:I get this sometimes..but I always thought it was from my scalp being dry at the time. It seemed to go away after I washed it and applied some type of moisturizer.

Same with me. It totally seems to be little areas of dryness. If I wash my hair or add a moisturizer to the area(s), it stops.
    My Fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdmarie21%2F" class="Popup
    Porocity: totally sinkable
    Texture: fine to med fine (stand size pic)
    Products I Like: Qhemet--Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm mixed with Burdock Root Cream, Vatika, apple cider vinegar rinse, Baba de Caracol, CON Argan shampoo
    Searching For: better understanding of what my hair is all about
  • BambiFirebrookBambiFirebrook Posts: 33Registered Users
    If you used to wrap your hair and no longer do that could be what is causing the pain in your crown area. After a few weeks of no longer wrapping my hair I experienced a lot of pain in the crown area. This pain was similar to the pain I would experience when I initially started wrapping my hair years ago. My mom said it had something to do with redirecting hair growth and it would go away with time... I would just massage my scalp with a little oil to deal with the pain.

(I hope that doesn't sound confusing...)
    [url]http://imjustalexx.blogspot.com/[/url]

Here to learn and grow....
  • DecagurlDecagurl Posts: 107Registered Users
    Do any of you notice that these sore spots appear in the same area, or if the hair in this sore area differs a bit from the rest of your hair? I notice that my crown has a reoccurring sore spot near the posterior fontanel. My hair is coarse, wavy and grows disproportionately faster than the rest of my hair in this area. Its like my asian blood only comes out in this spot. Unless you have an infection or follicular disorder, it may be due to a change in growth or a surge.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a, porous, medium, fuzzy reddish brown stuff.
    Aubrey Organics HSRose Conditioner
    Suave Naturals Shampoo
    Eco-Styler Gel
    Coconut/Olive Oil sealants

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmorefitthanyesterday%2F" class="Popup
    Decagurl wrote: »
    Do any of you notice that these sore spots appear in the same area, or if the hair in this sore area differs a bit from the rest of your hair?

It's always in the same place. Right at the very top of my head. It's looser and feels thinner than the rest of my hair.

SL APL BSL MBL
  • nmsnms Posts: 134Registered Users
    This probably won't help.

I discovered that my scalp tenderness (towards temple) came from a persistent sinus infection. Once I treated the infection, the soreness went away.
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    Bumping b/c I have the same issue, hoping for more responses.
    dmarie21 wrote: »

Same with me. It totally seems to be little areas of dryness. If I wash my hair or add a moisturizer to the area(s), it stops.

I think it was dryness. After having it for 2 weeks the soreness has been gone for 2 days ever since I started putting Na-PCA w/ aloe vera spray that I got from Whole Foods directly on the area.

01407.jpg

I was using oil before I bumped the thread and it didn't help. This spray is straight moisture. I think my shampoo was drying that area a little too much.

SL APL BSL MBL
  • sassywillowsassywillow Posts: 829Registered Users
    dmarie21 wrote: »

I think it was dryness. TAfter having it for 2 weeks the soreness has been gone for 2 days ever since I started putting Na-PCA w/ aloe vera spray that I got from Whole Foods directly on the area.

01407.jpg

I was using oil before I bumped the thread and it didn't help. This spray is straight moisture. I think my shampoo was drying that area a little too much.

Good stuff. I use it as a toner for my face. Mega moisture!
    Ah...to be a well pampered pootiecat. I can sleep on my owner's lap. Roll over on my back when I want my stomach rubbed. Purr with delight. Suddenly jump off and walk away for no reason. Not respond when I am called. Throw my leg up and lick with intense abandon. Sleep 85% of the time. Hang my head off the couch and view the world upside down.:laughing5:
  • freecurlfreecurl Posts: 281Registered Users
    I also experience this. Not sure if is from me massaging my scalp more often. I also noticed it yesterday, soon after my detangling session. Not so much today. Will be waiting for more responses.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    this happens to me sometimes. out of the blue my scalp will be sore to the touch. and then like magic, a few weeks later, i notice that my hair magically seems longer. i don't know how or why it happens or even if there is a correlation between the two, but for me sore scalp=hair growth spurt.
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I was once told that it was related to emotional stress....idk I have the issue from time to time. Not from scratching my head either. Just tender....
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • curlicious11curlicious11 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I get sore scalp too sometimes. I was just thinking today that maybe it's from co-washing too aggressively? When I first started CG, I didn't really massage my scalp long enough when co-washing so it never seemed to be clean enough. So I began to co-wash for longer and I think I sometimes massage my scalp too hard. Any thoughts?
    My hair specs:3a/3b, fine/medium texture, low porosity, low elasticity, medium density

low poo:
    live clean fresh water, TJ nourish spa
    condish:
    suave strawberry & coconut, live clean, LVPNG, TJ nourish spa
    styling:
    AVG, HESMU gel, HESMU mousse
    treatments:
    egg PT, ACV rinse
  • hellorosahellorosa Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have this tenderness problem too at two specific spots on my scalp. While braiding my hair this morning I found that those spots in particular are drier than the rest of my scalp. Odd..
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 884Registered Users
    Finally others with this problem. I'm not alone. My hair started out tender in two spots and at first I also related it to bobby pins. So I quit that. Then I noticed even pulling my bang to the side, which I've done for years when I want it out of my face, man was that hair sore after taking the clip out. almost as though it can't stand being pulled in the opposite direction. I thought it was me sleeping in a satin scarf,so I quit that. I couldn't put it up in a pineapple, ouch! Now, that I've quit that. It can handle ponytails, but not me going in and doing a scrubbing cowash, it's worse wet, obviousyl because it's heavier with the water. Even the water pressure from my shower makes it very painful to wash. I"ve gone to dermatologists and regular docs, no one knows what it is. But I thought less water, maybe I'm drying it out. Can't comb it withuot a slight burn. What is going on with us people?? I've bought so many different shampoos/conditioners, thinking ti was allergy, but how can it be that I don't like anything?? I dont think it's allergies, I go for dryness, btu we've got to wet our hair to style it. And yes, massaging, I think I was massaging too hard!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Posts: 439Registered Users
    I noticed my scalp would be sore after wash day/twisting day. I scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers, then I twist tight at the root for my twists to stay. If I do no more manipulation than that and oil I'm usually okay
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    i dont have this kind of problem, but i do do quiet a bit of stuff to keep a healthy scalp, im really into using natural things to grow my hair. Everything i use i research first, (i would NEVER let anything new touch my hair with out me knowing what it does). lots of natural things have many different benefits. same things i have tried and used are:
    Rosemary: growth stimulator, anti inflammatory
    Ginger: growth stimulator, helps against dandruff
    Stinging nettle: helps against dandruff, sore ichy scalp, gives hair a wonderful shine and softness
    marshmallow root: (same as nettle) also gives amazing slip
    (pure) argan oil: helps with EVERYTHING, dry ichy scalp, repairs hair, helps against dandruff, anti inflammatory, softness, shine and helps fade scars
    tea tree: helps against dandruff, anti inflammatory disinfects
    peppermints: calms and growth stimulator
    I have tried all this myself, in the past 2 months my hair has SHOT out, so i can say that it helps with growth. my boyfriend get dandruff and red sores and flacks on his scalp, i message a mixture of (pure) argan and tee tree in his scalp and with one application the next day his dandruff is mostly gone. so i no that helps. i am also pretty sure if i didnt do that that my scalp would be pretty messy as well......
    i do hope that it might help somone else :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users
    I used to baggy all the time. Now whenever I do I get a sore spot somewhere on my scalp. Since I've stopped baggying I've no longer had this problem.

On my EVO
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    this happens to me sometimes. out of the blue my scalp will be sore to the touch. and then like magic, a few weeks later, i notice that my hair magically seems longer. i don't know how or why it happens or even if there is a correlation between the two, but for me sore scalp=hair growth spurt.

I'd have to say I've noticed the same thing. The soreness comes out of the blue, then disappears just as quick and then it just seems like my hair is longer. Idk whats up w/that but I'm not complaining (ab the growth I mean not the soreness!).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Posts: 891Registered Users
    I don't know why but whenever I grease my scalp, after a few days it starts to get sore. It is sore when moving my hair (parting, detangling, styling, etc). It took my a few times of this happening to figure it out. I just clarified and stopped using grease and it solved the problem.