Bad to co-wash and condition every day?

Is it? I've been going CG since August 13 2009, and I've been co-washing and conditioning my hair every day (before that I washed my hair every day). So far I haven't had a problem with it...should I just continue doing it since it works for me?
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Posts: 272Registered Users
    i was wondering the same thing because i wet my hair everynight because i have 3b/c hair with kinky roots and dry brushing on my roots causes breakage. Someone please answer
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • bergasaurusbergasaurus Posts: 375Registered Users
    Do what your hair needs, when your hair changes, change your routine. This may work for you for a while but you may end up overconditioned, in which case just do it less often. You may need to do more conditioning in winter. In other words, don't fret about it unless your hair tells you to cut it out :)

KsLiZCuRlZ: why are you dry brushing? I was a brush addict for a while but it's really bad for curly hair. Yes it will cause breakage. Many people don't detangle or comb their hair ever unless it's loaded up with conditioner. I am one of those, but I will finger comb it to get out big tangles while dry. I've gone three days without combing if I'm lucky - 1st day hair, 2nd day hair, 3rd day up in a french twist. That was such an alien concept to me a few months ago :)

To both of you: find out your hair type, & porosity. This will make a big difference in your routine. If your hair is dry, condish every day; coarse and porous curlies are dry, if I understand correctly....this may help you too.
    No cones since 08/25/09. Occasional low poo.
    Fine, normal to low porosity (still not sure which), ii, 3a/3b curls
    Playing with products: HEBE Mousse, BRHG, AOMM, HESMU. Nothing blows my mind just yet. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    KsLiZCuRlZ wrote: »
    i was wondering the same thing because i wet my hair everynight because i have 3b/c hair with kinky roots and dry brushing on my roots causes breakage. Someone please answer

Yeah, you really shouldn't brush, whether your hair is dry or wet. I comb my hair with my wide-toothed comb in the shower when it's covered in co-wash to get the tangles out easily. And when I hit a bad tangle, I don't pull through really hair. I dab on some more conditioner, let water run on it, and slowly comb through it.

I think it's okay to slowly comb through it with a comb and loads of detangler/conditioner, but just wetting your hair a little and brushing will seriously destroy your hair!

Thank you, Bergasaurus, that was helpful :)
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I low poo and condition and style every day with no ill effects.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • dernhelmdernhelm Posts: 84Registered Users
    I have been co-washing every other day since July. For the past month I was wondering what the heck is wrong with my canopy, it was so soft, fuzzy and undefined. It finally dawned on me that my canopy was overconditioned! Yeah, it was a "duh" moment. I used some poo and it was so much better! My ends, however, love conditioner. So, like bergasaurus said, my hair has changed and now I need to change my routine. My hair is very fine but I have a ton of it and it tangles like mad if I don't condition it every other day. But on the other hand since it is fine, it gets overconditioned easily. I think I'm going to try to co-wash every three days and then water wash and condition ends in between, throwing in a low-poo once a week.

As long as your routine is working for you, go for it. Just listen to your hair, it will tell you when it has had enough.
    very fine/dense/high porosity
    No heat styling

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, you really shouldn't brush, whether your hair is dry or wet. I comb my hair with my wide-toothed comb in the shower when it's covered in co-wash to get the tangles out easily. And when I hit a bad tangle, I don't pull through really hair. I dab on some more conditioner, let water run on it, and slowly comb through it.

I think it's okay to slowly comb through it with a comb and loads of detangler/conditioner, but just wetting your hair a little and brushing will seriously destroy your hair!

I dont brush all my hair down...i have to brush the roots down with gel because a comb won't do anything. I am african american and have thick roots that a comb will not lay down. In the shower, i use a detangling comb and conditioner, i nver brush to detangle, only to slick edges into a ponytail. Lol i'm not crazy i never brush th length of my hair only the very tip of my hair line
    CG..yep that's me!

I dont brush all my hair down...i have to brush the roots down with gel because a comb won't do anything. I am african american and have thick roots that a comb will not lay down. In the shower, i use a detangling comb and conditioner, i nver brush to detangle, only to slick edges into a ponytail. Lol i'm not crazy i never brush th length of my hair only the very tip of my hair line

Okay okay, sorry....didn't mean to offend you. :)

• island_curlisland_curl Posts: 40Registered Users

Is it really that bad to brush? I brush my hair wet and it usually has lots of condish in it in order to distribute product and create clumping..I use a comb but it doesn't help with clumping and i've used a denman but that created lots of breakaways. :-(
    Hair Type: 3B and/or 3C depending.
    No-poo
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals (Coconut and Tangerine)
    Products:Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Plus :love4:
    Too bad HEHH has a cone-it gives great slip. :protest:
    Sometimes use Honey, Olive oil and condish as a DT
    Need a cg gel (can't wait till I get to Sally's!)

Okay okay, sorry....didn't mean to offend you. :)
    Oh no..if i thought someone was doing that i would be going crazy too lol
    CG..yep that's me!

Is it really that bad to brush? I brush my hair wet and it usually has lots of condish in it in order to distribute product and create clumping..I use a comb but it doesn't help with clumping and i've used a denman but that created lots of breakaways. :-(

Well, as long as you're being really, really gentle and your hair is drenched in conditioner, it shouldn't be that bad...:)

• jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Just out of curiosity, how do you manage to get good clumping from a brush on wet hair? I haven't touched a comb or brush to my hair (wet or dry) in yearssss... My secret to awesome hair and great clumping is to smooth water over my hair when I get out of the slower (to activate clump-forms) and then smooth whatever product I'm using on my hair in 3 sections, being sure NOT to finger it through, since smoothing leaves clumps undisturbed.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file