Calling All HIGH POROSITY Curlies... what is your hair routine

I have the misfortune (to some extent) of having very dry hair that is high in porosity and I am on a mission to find products rec.s and routines that might actually work. I just know that I cannot be the only one with hair that needs help...frequently. Thanks in advance...always.:laughing4:
Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
Leave-In: KCKT
Prep: ? Looking for the HG
Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
Stylers: PM Foam
Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you know if you are fine or medium or coarse?
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    I have porous hair and mine is fine - I'm using A0GPB co as my hair likes the protein in this.
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • lovemycurlzlovemycurlz Posts: 330Registered Users
    Do you know if you are fine or medium or coarse?
    I have coarse, very porous hair
    Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

I'm medium-coarse and porous (from hair dye).

Here is what I do now. It'll probably change when it gets colder.

Shampoo. I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] a couple of times a month.

On the average day that I get my hair wet, I detangle with Kinky Curly Knot Today. SOmetimes that is enough conditioning for me.

If I feel that I need more, I use another conditioner after that. If I need protein, I use Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner. I want low protein, I use Aubrey Organics White Camellia.

Then I rinse.

I then use the KCKT as a leave in.

Then I oil seal. You can search about oil sealing over on the 4a board. It really got my porous hair through the summer. I use a little bit of mango oil over top of my leave-in to help seal in the moisture. Sealing really helps me reduce high porosity frizz.

I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] as my gel. If the dewpoint is high, I like JoiGel Firm on top of that.

Once a week I do an acid rinse. i had use Bronner's Rinse, but am back to the simple ACV rinse weekly. I like a 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups of water ratio. Others use different ratios. I feel that this helps keep my cuticle feeling smooth.

I'm medium-coarse and porous (from hair dye).

Here is what I do now. It'll probably change when it gets colder.

Shampoo. I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink] a couple of times a month.

On the average day that I get my hair wet, I detangle with Kinky Curly Knot Today. SOmetimes that is enough conditioning for me.

If I feel that I need more, I use another conditioner after that. If I need protein, I use Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner. I want low protein, I use Aubrey Organics White Camellia.

Then I rinse.

I then use the KCKT as a leave in.

Then I oil seal. You can search about oil sealing over on the 4a board. It really got my porous hair through the summer. I use a little bit of mango oil over top of my leave-in to help seal in the moisture. Sealing really helps me reduce high porosity frizz.

I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] as my gel. If the dewpoint is high, I like JoiGel Firm on top of that.

Once a week I do an acid rinse. i had use Bronner's Rinse, but am back to the simple ACV rinse weekly. I like a 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups of water ratio. Others use different ratios. I feel that this helps keep my cuticle feeling smooth.
    OMG!! You have given me a wealth of info/help!! I too color my hair actually root touch up every 4 weeks professionally. I love that you gave me your routine. I am gonna try it. I never even thought of just wetting my hair on non "wash" days and putting in the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] as a detangler. Do you rinse it out? or just leave it in and add other condish if you need it? How can you tell if you need protein?

I am sorry about the q's but I think I have finally found some much needed answers to my hair woes!!

• shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I have fine porous hair, I co-wash every 2nd or 3rd day with Pears clarifying conditioner and low-poo every 1 1/2 -2 weeks with burt bees super shiny. To style I use Jessicurl RR mixed with MD gel or if my curls feel a little weighed down I use taft mousse. I scrunch a little with a microfiber towel then diffuse upside down for a few minutes then let it dry and scrunch out the crunch.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
    No problem! This stuff can take ages to figure out.

I detangle with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], rinse, and then use another conditioner if I need it. I then use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] again as a leave-in. I know it can seem like a waste of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], but it works for me.

If you follow my blog link in my siggy, look for a post about protein vs moisture. It will tell you (if you follow the link in that post) how to tell if your hair needs moisture or protein. I also have pics of what too much and too little protein look like on my hair.

The hard part is that porous hair can be helped with protein, especially if color treated. But, coarse hair often does not tolerate protein well since it naturally has protein. So, finding a balance can be tricky if you are coarse and porous. For me, I use keratin as it is the only protein I can tolerate. Others proteins make my hair feel like dry brittle straw. If you can tolerate some protein, you will have to go through trial and error to see which kind/s you can take and how often you can use it.

In the summer, I don't wet my hair everyday, and I can get third or fourth day hair most times.

In the winter, I need more moisture and I wet my hair every day if it is really cold since I need that moisture.

No problem! This stuff can take ages to figure out.

I detangle with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], rinse, and then use another conditioner if I need it. I then use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] again as a leave-in. I know it can seem like a waste of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], but it works for me.

If you follow my blog link in my siggy, look for a post about protein vs moisture. It will tell you (if you follow the link in that post) how to tell if your hair needs moisture or protein. I also have pics of what too much and too little protein look like on my hair.

The hard part is that porous hair can be helped with protein, especially if color treated. But, coarse hair often does not tolerate protein well since it naturally has protein. So, finding a balance can be tricky if you are coarse and porous. For me, I use keratin as it is the only protein I can tolerate. Others proteins make my hair feel like dry brittle straw. If you can tolerate some protein, you will have to go through trial and error to see which kind/s you can take and how often you can use it.

In the summer, I don't wet my hair everyday, and I can get third or fourth day hair most times.

In the winter, I need more moisture and I wet my hair every day if it is really cold since I need that moisture.
    How funny that you should mention what your hair feels like when you use proteins. I just assumed that I was protein sensitive because whenever I would use it my hair would feel brittle like hay. I couldn't get that crud out of my hair fast enough!! I especially ate wheat protein. Even in small amounts wheat protein pulls every ounce of moisture out of my hair so much so that it feels as though a slight breeze would break my hair off in bits. I can't take it in gels or mousses or condish. Now Keratin sound interesting. What are some keratin products that you have used?
    Thanks for the info on your blog. I plan on stalking, I mean visiting there soon. Hehehe.

For keratin, I have used the GVP Joico Reconstructor knock off from Sally's. I like it when I need a bigger hit. it does have mineral oil, which many curlies avoid.

I also like the Joico K-Pak Reconstruct regular conditioner. It's the "regular' version of the reconstructor. I have seen the small, airline sized bottle at Ulta if you wanted to try it for cheap.

You might be a type who needs to go some time protein free. I pretty much did it for 9 months. But, I think others coarse curlies can find one kind that they take at a minimal (or very minimal) dose if they are coloring or are porous. I'm more medium-coarse, so I can take more of the keratin.

Others also do well with the Nexxes Emergencee as a protein treatment. I think it uses collagen.

I can't stand wheat either. Dry city! When I first went CG, I used a wheat heavy leave-in and my hair felt like crap. I didn't know about protein at that time, so I thought that something was just wrong with my hair instead of knowing that I just didn't have the right stuff for my hair.

Del2C is also coarse and porous. My best guess is that she is more coarse and less porous than I am, although we still fall under the vague umbrella of coarse & porous. The two of us mesh with some products and clash with others, so she is good to give you a wider variety of product choices.

Magoo and I have similar product likes, so you can check with her too. The same for Misspam. IIRC Magoo is coarse too, but I can't remember their porosity.

If you color red, the ACV rinses can also be helpful. It does seem to help slow the fade down a bit - though that is in relative terms because red fades like mad.

• hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
    I'm coarse and porous too and it's a pain! My hair needs mega moisture- I use DTs as leave-ins- in the summer!! I've been protein free for most of 6 months- only occasionally using a light protein if needed.

It takes time to figure it out- so have fun. ANd READ READ READ. I found the first 3 months very frustrating, but I really enjoy it now.

If you need mega moisture, I love CJCRDT and KBB Deep condish. Those are my favorite for DT, condish and leave-in.

My other favorite products are in my siggie.

I find that I do best with gelly type products rather than creams. No clue if that's related to porosity/coarseness or not.
    med/coarse; porous; 2c & 3c
    protein sensitive
    too much glycerin and some oils give me stringlets

!!! LOVE SPRITZ AND CONDISH !!!!

co-wash: Fructis Body Boost condish
    low-poo: miss my LLL Green Tea, CJDF
    condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH
    style: faves: KCCC, DMCG, AOMMJ, CGG, Elucence Foam, FSG
    DT: JCWDT, CJCR, SS Deep Condish

My CG Journey: :confused: :banghead:
    :read2: :love1:
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I have 3b medium texture, very porous hair, my hair is on the thin side, but looks like it has a lot of volume when its curly. I also have a dry sclap. So I would really love to see what everyone similar is doing.

what I found works for me thus far:

Washing tips:
    pre-pooing with grapeseed oil on the length
    & messaging my sclap with coconut oil & aloe vera gel
    ** leaveing this on at least an hour

washing with 3 in1 Shiakhi-Amla-Brahmi shampoo bar- followed be ACV rise

Rise out Conditioner:
    GVP Condtioning Blam
    Trader Joe's conditioner w/ added grapeseed oil & aloe gel
    Both leave my feeling gooood and hydrated

I wash and condition every 4 days

I deep condition every other wash I use homemade dc mixes here's a few combos
    coconutmilk and hibiscus tea
    honey & coconut oil
    Amla & fenugreek
    some times all the above a once
    ** My sister has course hair and yogurt works wonders for her

Leave-in:
    KBB Hair Milk--Super for moisture & smells wonderful

Giovonni Direct leave-in
    ** Seal with a little grapseed oil

Stlying has been a challenge for me, I recently picked up the Ic Fansatia gel so I'm working with that now.

I tried Mixed Chicks but I have to wash my hair with a "real shampoo" to get the cones out more often.

Carol's daughter Hair Milk is good, but my husband
    just could not take the smell.
    **My sister has course hair and Jane Carter Makes a great leave-in the has really tame her hair, its more soft & shiny.

I hope this helps.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    Fine and porous hair here. My routine is:

Water wash, with a sulfate-free shampoo once a week. No protein conditioner with some added olive oil. Protein conditioner twice a week.

After rinsing, glycerine, shea butter and coconut oil to finish, then air dry.
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    I also have very dry, highly porous hair, with fine, medium and medium-coarse texture. In general, I agree with redcelticcurls about supplying moisture then sealing it in with oil. I need to co-wash my hair daily since it is dry. Then I use a rinse out then put in FSG which is very moisturizing. Then I seal it in with an oil mix I make myself. I use a deep conditioner 2xs a week to boost moisture levels. This routine works since I live in LA near the water. I think routines need to take into consideration the climate and dewpoints. The dews here are generally 40-60 all year round except during severe weather. You may need to alter your routine slightly depending on where you live.

The hard part is to find the balance of how much protein to use when I need protein. I use Aubrey Organics GPB as a co-wash when I feel my hair needs a protein boost, otherwise I am completely protein free. Since there are few true protein free, paraben free, and formaldaheyde free, and cone free conditioners out there (I have lots of allergies :-| ), I make my own cleanser, conditioner and deep treatment. They are super moisturizing with natural, nourishing ingredients and free of all the things I listed above. This usually does the trick.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Belasuna, you sound similar to me, in that my scalp is hypersensitive. I'd be really interested to hear of your recipes!! :):blob3:
    Sarah.

• AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    pelicano wrote: »
    Belasuna, you sound similar to me, in that my scalp is hypersensitive. I'd be really interested to hear of your recipes!! :):blob3:

+1

I am particularly interested in the concept RCC mentioned of sealing with oil. This may work for my daughter's hair that we are having such a hard time with. It is still very dry although better than before. We are using Tigi MM which works very well along with Aura Cherry Almond Bark and KBB Hair milk. We are avoiding most protein and when her finer hair gets too stretchy we also use the Kpak and then do a DT afterwords.

We've been using Qhemet Biologics CocoDetangling Ghee which is amazing to detangle but doesn't giver her too much moisture.

We have not yet found the lustrasilk anywhere on ground so I may have to order online.

So I'd love to know what oils you are using with yours!

I did order some sample sizes of Oyin, Afroveda, and more Qhemet biologics products to see if they help but they aren't here yet. Natural companies take a bit longer to ship.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    I got all of my oil sealing info by searching around on the 4A boards. I highly suggest searching there are asking a question there for more detailed answers than you might find here on the general board.

I use mango oil. I originally bought it because I thought that mango oil would smell like mangoes. Wrong answer! It kind of stinks, lol. But, I added some apple fragrance stuff I got as a free sample from a soap company and that took care of the smell.

Mango oil is solid/buttery at room temp. I don't like liquid oils for the most part because they make my hair feel crunchy, and I really don't like coconut oil alone.

The mango oil seem to have worked well for me. The tub has been lasting some time, and it wasn't expensive. I will probably re-order, but find some mango fragrance because I just want to smell like mango! :)

• AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Thanks RCC

I'm going to mozy over to the 4A board and check this out.

I have several fragrance oils I can use if I buy some mango oil since I also make my own FSG. I'll look into that. Since I wanted to try some oils and butters as well with winter coming (well winter for us is not too much different but late fall is our fire season and so it is usually very dry) it's a good opportunity to give them a go on her as well.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    I couldn't really find much on the 4a sub forum, but maybe I was searching for the wrong thing. :confused5:
    Sarah.

I couldn't really find much on the 4a sub forum, but maybe I was searching for the wrong thing. :confused5:

I think a new thread just happened to start up.

But, when I searched through the old threads, I used the advanced search feature. I searched "sealing" under titles in 4A. I also did a separate search under "oil*" Searching under oil alone won't help because it only had three characters.

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users

here are a few for you... :happy8:

how do you seal?

moisturizing and sealing

what is sealing?

sealing the ends of the hair

sealing with oil
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Thanks very much.:thumright:
    Sarah.

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    you are welcome!

here is one more: what has sealing done for your hair?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Does dyeing your hair automically make it porous?
    Does dyeing your hair automically make it porous?

For most people, yes. You have to get under/through the cuticle to deposit the dye with conventional coloring.

The only exception I know of (there are probably more) is Struttswife.

• TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Well I'm trying a few different things, but recently this has worked well--

Cowash w/V05 or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva Nopoo[/buylink] or both

Condition w/LVPNG and or GF Fortifiying or Mixed Greens

LI--AOHR. This is a big change. I used to use it as a rinse out, but decided to try it as a LI at it works well.

Styler--Well this is where evil Polyquat 11 comes in. I used to use MOP-C or LOOB quite a bit. My hair looks good the first day, but by the second it feels parched and horribly tangly. I think it's due to the negative charge doubling on my negatively charged porous hair or something. So they are gone. Actually using cones is better than the Polyquat 11 so far.

I don't know if this helps, but I am still switching things up a bit.

I really have no idea if I'm protein sensitive or not.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • baileys_trufflebaileys_truffle Posts: 34Registered Users
    Wow ... this is all so confusing.

Like, my hair seems pretty dry and i always thought it was highly porous but i use a deep conditioning treatment every time i wash it and it doesnt seem to get any better, if anything it seems to get drier.

What does that mean? o_O
    :notworthy: Embrace Your Curls! :notworthy:

Type: 4a :rolleyes:
    Texture: Fine/medium
    Porosity: Medium/high
    Routine: None as yet
    Natural for: 7+ years

Aim: To have long luscious healthy curls instead of the dry ones I've become accustomed to!
    Wow ... this is all so confusing.

Like, my hair seems pretty dry and i always thought it was highly porous but i use a deep conditioning treatment every time i wash it and it doesnt seem to get any better, if anything it seems to get drier.

What does that mean? o_O

It could be a few things.

Sometimes product/ingredient buildup or hard water buildup will make hair feel dry no matter how much you condition it.

Although it is more common among those with coarse hair, some proteins can make hair feel dry. The most common complaint is 'straw hair." It is less common in fine haired curlies, but it does happen, especially if your hair has a particular issue with one type of protein.

Too little protein tends to make hair feel mushy and stretchy, but some have noticed a dryness too.

Other ingredient sensitives. For me, I have my list of ingredients the dry my hair out. Sadly, this is very trail and error, and different for every curly. I know that panthenol and myristyl alcohol dry me out terribly but many others are fine with them.

Strength of conditioner. Sometimes the conditioner just isn't strong enough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file