Are You Starting To Realize Your Mortality?

LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
I know I am. I've lost both of my grandparents and my Father. My Mother is 78 and will be next. After her, it will be ME. I feel like my time is coming. It's inevitable. I know this is natural, but it bothers me. I'm not ready to be next in line. :sad5:
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't given it too much thought. I used to work at a nursing home where the average age of my patients was 87, so, at 47, I still feel real young! My brother-in-law died this summer, though - and he was only 57.

I'm more concerned with doing what I can to stay healthy - eating nutritious food, exercising, etc. I do feel more aches and pains than I used to - and I certainly don't have as much energy in the evenings as I did when I was younger. Of course that's probably because I morphed into a morning person over the past 15 years....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes I am. Two of my Mom's brothers have passed away and she is the oldest and not in the best of health. It's scary but I try not to dwell on it.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    when 2 friends (even tho they were several years older), one my best friend, died, that for me is when it really hit home. i thought that wasn't supposed to happen til much later in life....

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Registered Users Posts: 2,364
    Wow this has really been on my mind lately. I didn't think about it too much until I hit 40 when I got divorced..and even then it really wasn't until this last summer when I turned 43 I really felt focused on it.

I think the yearly Dr. visit (that I put off for many years and just started doing again this year) scared me as my triglycerides are high. It is really the first time I've "felt" my age.

Seriously there are times I think about it and I just want to hyperventilate I get scared and freaked out. I try to control it though in front of the kids. I've lost my fair share of people young and older around me as well..my grandma is 91 this year--and mad that they took her license away (alzheimers) as she just bought a new red camaro 2 years ago! :sign5:
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Oh, yes. Especially now that my father is in bad health and I look after him. I've seen what it is to slowly lose your physical and mental abilities over a long period of time -- it's not pretty.

I've taken out long-term care insurance for myself. I have no kids, so I will need someone to take care of me when I've lost my marbles!
  • OBBOBB Registered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    i realized my mortality when i was in my early 20's. its part of the reason i travel and do the things id like to do. now im ready to settle down. strange i know.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    I went through a really bad bout of this in my mid-30s, right after my dad died. I sort of came to an understanding of it during a year or two of fixation, although I do think it's an ongoing process as one ages.

As a result of this coming to terms with it, I am hopeful that when my time comes, if I'm aware of it coming, that I will be able to remain present and accepting of it, even to a small degree.

Currently I'm watching my mom age, sometimes it feels like it's happening right in front of my eyes [she's in her late 60s].

So I'm currently coming to terms to how the body and mind change as you grow older. When you're young and you see all that, you truly think it will never happen to you. At some point, you are hit with the reality: yes, it will happen, because it is happening! It's been hard to come to grips with it, it's so easy to be superficial and focused on my outward appearance while I was young.

Now I'm trying to turn my attention to instead developing relationships, hobbies and talents that hopefully will carry on, no matter what's happening to my physical body or appearance. That makes the whole idea of mortality less daunting, to me.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Yep, which is why I am focusing more on fam & hubby & I doing things together for us. I am hoping things start to get better for my folks & GPs situation. They need to be enjoying their retirement years. I want that for myself, as well...
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think about such things regularly but when I'm feeling down these thoughts pop in my head --
    - who will take care of me if I'm sick or when I'm old (single, no kids)
    - who will think of me or remember me (no kids, no burial plot or headstone)

It gets worse this time of year (I hate cold weather) or when I'm just having a bad day.

But those thoughts don't last long. Life flies by and I don't believe in an afterlife so I try to enjoy every day.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, after my father died in 2005. That's when I decided to sell my 1962 Beetle. I realized that if he could die (I thought he'd be around forever, bugging my brother and me), I could -- would -- die.

So I got a safer car.

As for a legacy, I don't think I'll leave one. There are better writers out there than I; better dog rescuers; better wavy redheads.

But I sure will miss waking up in the morning. Although, if I start wearing old lady shoes, I hope someone will take pity and end it for me.

images-2-1.jpg

(also note avatar)
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Registered Users Posts: 659 Curl Neophyte
    I've realized it since my dad died when I was 29 and he was 67.

I don't worry about it at all though.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I've decided to write a book. It will be just for my family. The title will be "Kay, Mommy, and Nana." These are the 3 people I've been in my life.

I would love to know more of the personal details of my relatives who have passed on. Some of them I never met, because I wasn't born yet, but I have pics of them and would love to know who they really were. Not just this was your great great grandmother and she was a homemaker, etc. I want to know their thoughts, their struggles, personal details.

My book will start with my earliest memories and progress until I die. I told my daughter that once I'm gone I want her to have it bound, so it won't get torn up and let any of the family read it, if they wish. With my life they will probably need to be over 21. 8-)
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    An ex's mom wrote a book about her childrens' childhoods. None of them read it.
    Hey! Don't rain on my parade here.:laughing4:

If no one reads it, at least it will be therapeutic for me. I do think there will be some with my curious blood who will read the book.

I wouldn't write about someone else's life. Who knows what that person is really thinking and feeling.
    From Michael Berg:

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Someone will have a nice laugh reading the letters hubby & I wrote to each other early in our relshp... :laughing4:
    But, as I told hubby, if/when some things are found/discovered, I'll be dead, so I won't care! lol
    I don't want my book read until after I'm dead. It would be too embarrassing to reveal all when I'm alive. Seriously, my life has been pretty crazy. I love the fact that it is, because it will make interesting reading, but........
    From Michael Berg:

• fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Yes, this is on my mind a lot more since (a) I'm getting older (duh!) (b) my mother died (my father died when I was little) (c) I was diagnosed with a congenital heart condition (IHSS) which may or may not shorten my life -- it's unpredictable, but I had to have a pacer/defibrillator "installed" at a young age for that sort of thing -- (I'm 55)

I, too, am single, no kids, youngest child in my family so if the heart thing gives me a pass, it's quite likely I will be the last of my family alive, with exception of one nephew.

My main concerns are trying to stay healthy and active until the end (and we all know how much control we have over that, sometimes) -- I don't really fear death but, like most people, I fear illness and infirmity and not being able to care for myself.

My other concern is seeing that my dogs are cared for and in a good home if I die before they do.

I've thought about not having more dogs after these two are gone (they're 5 and 6), but I can't imagine my life without dogs, either!
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I've been aware of it since my teens. That's why I'm determined to be as healthy emotionally and physically as I can be. Life is too short to be miserable or sick (some things are diet/lifestyle related) if you don't have to be.
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    Not really. I'm 46 and in great health. Both my parents are still living, in their early 70's and in great health. My maternal grandparents lived to the ripe old ages of 98 and 103. They lived in their own home and managed quite well, even up till the end.

What I do think about occasionally is living to be as old as my grandparents and wondering if I will be able to take care of myself or have to be stuck in a nursing home somewhere. Frankly, I would rather go sooner than have to live out my years alone, being taken care of by strangers and just waiting for the grim reaper. :cry:

I don't dwell on these feelings, however. Life is too precious to worry about these things. I want to be engaged in the here and now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Registered Users Posts: 295
    my mortality hit me like a ton of bricks about 4 yrs ago when my 17 yr old son died in a car accident, needless to say I haven't been the same mentally, emotionally or physically since then, what really makes it even harder is that their are no prospects of grandchildren since he died.

All I can say is to live life as well as you can and enjoy the family you have, your children and grandchildren are your mortality so treat them well.
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyHaze wrote: »
    my mortality hit me like a ton of bricks about 4 yrs ago when my 17 yr old son died in a car accident, needless to say I haven't been the same mentally, emotionally or physically since then, what really makes it even harder is that their are no prospects of grandchildren since he died.

All I can say is to live life as well as you can and enjoy the family you have, your children and grandchildren are your mortality so treat them well.

Wow. That's so sad - I can't imagine anything worse than losing a child. Peace to you - be well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyHaze wrote: »

i am so sorry. i cannot imagine the pain you must feel. you are so right that we need to enjoy what we have.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    CurlyHaze, my heart goes out to you. You have suffered all of our worse nightmares. (((HUGS)))
    From Michael Berg:

• CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Registered Users Posts: 295
    Thanks to you all for your comments, It is takes courage for people to comment when someone loses a child because people just don't know what to say, so I thank you all for your wishes and thoughts.
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file