the (truly) coarsest, puffiest hair on the board: evaluate my routine please!

i need to get good photos taken outside but seriously, i haven't seen anyone's hair that is as coarse or dry, frizzy as mine. i mean wiry and hard puffy.
can you tell me if what i'm doing is right?
i have to get my hair soaking wet every day or it dreads up (literally) and loses any curls by day2.

i put the lustrasilk in. sleep in it. add more in A.M. and soak my hair in the shower (filtered water but hard water).

i put Sally's Matrix Cond Balm as leave-in and/or Giovanni Direct Leave-in. i add some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for definition. My hair is still wet by the end of the day and it's only starting to dry out when I go to bed that night. *sigh*

This is not working.

I have tried a couple gels and AOHR as leave-in with worse results. My hair has more of a wool look/feel than a curls or hair texture.

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    First, did you clarify when you went CG? If not, do so. If you did, try again (sometimes even CG things can just build up over time, for some people).

What Lustrasilk are you using? They are not all CG. Double check your ingredients. If you find a cone or mineral oil, toss it.

Your filter might not be doing its job. Try using bottled water for a few washes to see if there's a difference. If so, fix or replace your filter.

Sally's Balm felt gummy and producty if I left it in my hair, not all things CG are good left in your hair past the washing or DT stage.

Protein might be your problem, if you're coarse. I used Giovanni for about 2 months before it gave me straw hair from the protein in it. I gave it up and noticed a big improvement. Try dumping the Giovanni for a week or so.

Not everyone can do [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], so you might try ditching that, too. It makes some people's hair feel dry (me) and rough (me).

I don't use gels and if you're really that "wiry" you might not need one. My curls stay the way they are for the most part, and gel doesn't do anything except sometimes dry my hair out or make it stringy.

Some people don't like AOHR either, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. I have very inconsistent results with it myself.

Lastly, try some deep treatments. There are thousand products and recipes and tips for those all over this board and the internet. I personally like to add honey to my conditioner, plastic cap, sleep, rinse.

Hope some of that helps.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • dominicanadominicana Posts: 239Registered Users
    mm2ndj wrote: »
    i need to get good photos taken outside but seriously, i haven't seen anyone's hair that is as coarse or dry, frizzy as mine. i mean wiry and hard puffy.
    i have to get my hair soaking wet every day or it dreads up (literally) and loses any curls by day2.

i put the lustrasilk in. sleep in it. add more in A.M. and soak my hair in the shower (filtered water but hard water).

i put Sally's Matrix Cond Balm as leave-in and/or Giovanni Direct Leave-in. i add some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for definition. My hair is still wet by the end of the day and it's only starting to dry out when I go to bed that night. *sigh*

This is not working.

I have tried a couple gels and AOHR as leave-in with worse results. My hair has more of a wool look/feel than a curls or hair texture.

Hi hon,

I know how you feel. I feel like making my own category sometimes, especially when I see the hair that some of these ladies are calling coarse. If that is coarse then I have super coarse. :)

I've been meaning to take pictures of the back half of my hair it is exactly as you describe. EXACTLY. IT is frizzy when wet, never feels squishy or seaweedy with condish. I need half a bucket of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] in order to get get rid of the bulk and get some semblance of definition, but that kills the little bit of curl from the weight. When it dries it is a big cotton candy mess, with nothing to show that there should be curls. I don't know why my hair is so different. If you look at one strand from the two sections of my head they look the same. Its a mystery to me and nothing I do helps. I have been following OnyxCabello's no oils idea and atleast that has helped with the brittleness, but not much in the definition dept. I'm about to start doing a dt every night, just to see.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=86193

I;m going to come back and add a couple of pics so you can see what I mean.

Hopefully we'll find answers or peace to accept it as it is.

D
    Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    First, did you clarify when you went CG? If not, do so. If you did, try again (sometimes even CG things can just build up over time, for some people).

What Lustrasilk are you using? They are not all CG. Double check your ingredients. If you find a cone or mineral oil, toss it.

Your filter might not be doing its job. Try using bottled water for a few washes to see if there's a difference. If so, fix or replace your filter.

Sally's Balm felt gummy and producty if I left it in my hair, not all things CG are good left in your hair past the washing or DT stage.

Protein might be your problem, if you're coarse. I used Giovanni for about 2 months before it gave me straw hair from the protein in it. I gave it up and noticed a big improvement. Try dumping the Giovanni for a week or so.

Not everyone can do [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], so you might try ditching that, too. It makes some people's hair feel dry (me) and rough (me).

I don't use gels and if you're really that "wiry" you might not need one. My curls stay the way they are for the most part, and gel doesn't do anything except sometimes dry my hair out or make it stringy.

Some people don't like AOHR either, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. I have very inconsistent results with it myself.

Lastly, try some deep treatments. There are thousand products and recipes and tips for those all over this board and the internet. I personally like to add honey to my conditioner, plastic cap, sleep, rinse.

Hope some of that helps.

I find this to be very good advice. Listen to this, mm2ndj!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dominicana wrote: »

This is not working.

Hi hon,

I know how you feel. I feel like making my own category sometimes, especially when I see the hair that some of these ladies are calling coarse. If that is coarse then I have super coarse. :)

I've been meaning to take pictures of the back half of my hair it is exactly as you describe. EXACTLY. IT is frizzy when wet, never feels squishy or seaweedy with condish. I need half a bucket of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] in order to get get rid of the bulk and get some semblance of definition, but that kills the little bit of curl from the weight. When it dries it is a big cotton candy mess, with nothing to show that there should be curls. I don't know why my hair is so different. If you look at one strand from the two sections of my head they look the same. Its a mystery to me and nothing I do helps. I have been following OnyxCabello's no oils idea and atleast that has helped with the brittleness, but not much in the definition dept. I'm about to start doing a dt every night, just to see.

D

Coarse is something you really won't see in pics here, so it isn't something anyone can judge on someone else.

What I *do* see however, are many curlies confusing dry and rough with coarse. Plenty a curly has changed her mind about being coarse after getting their hair properly conditioned.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Here they are, the first is of my top and front hair. The other two is from the hair at the nape (?)
    I don't know what to do about it either and I don't understand why it is not responding like the other hair.
    3970804273_7f7f47ee0f.jpg

3971574106_7170916528.jpg

D

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Coarse is something you really won't see in pics here, so it isn't something anyone can judge on someone else.

What I *do* see however, are many curlies confusing dry and rough with coarse. Plenty a curly has changed her mind about being coarse after getting their hair properly conditioned.

That's very true I hadn't considered that.

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
  • mm2ndjmm2ndj Posts: 156Registered Users
    One Thousand Curls, Which products do you use?
    and it's true that CB leaves my hair feeling a bit sticky.

i really need some product rec's now that all of my leave-ins are out! THX!
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You mentioned you had hard water. When I had hard water, my hair felt dry and rough, and kind of hard. I used Aubrey Organics Swimmers shampoo once a week to remove the hard water buildup, followed by a ACV rinse and DT, and that helped a lot.
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

i wrote hoping for specific product and care recommendations.

Dominicana, you are right.

we can tell the texture of our own hair.

and our hair is coarse.

and really coarse hair does need it own forum.
    my hair has very little in common med or fine hair.

one thousand curls: what are you using and what do you recommend i use?

i love my hair but it is very different in texture than most hair on this board.

regimen advice for fine or med hair does not work on very coarse hair.
    likethegum wrote: »
    You mentioned you had hard water. When I had hard water, my hair felt dry and rough, and kind of hard. I used Aubrey Organics Swimmers shampoo once a week to remove the hard water buildup, followed by a ACV rinse and DT, and that helped a lot.

Thanks I may try this, depending on the ingredients(my hair hates, proteins, oils and glycerin). I haven't had much luck finding a shower filter locally.

D

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users

and our hair is coarse.

i love my hair but it is very different in texture than most hair on this board.

Have you looked outside of general and tired 3c or 4a?
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
    hypnotic wrote: »

and our hair is coarse.

This helps.

ALso, there are many threads where those of us with coarse or medium coarse hair have posted.

In a nutshell, it's stay away from protein and heavy use of moisture and emollients. Humectant use depends on the weather and porosity, Oiling may be helpful ro may be drying.

If someone coarse if following these recs and still having problems, then it is likely that something else is going on whether it's your water, product build-up, poor use of moisturizers, etc.

• Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte

and our hair is coarse.

I agree we do need our own forum. I think that was probably a huge setback for me when I was transitioning, and I think that how I ended up a pj. Trying everything possible for my texture and then some.
    I haven't had much luck finding a shower filter locally.

D

If you have a home depot in your area you can get a filter there, that's where I got mines for about $20 and you can get it offline.

and our hair is coarse.

In a nutshell, it's stay away from protein and heavy use of moisture and emollients. Humectant use depends on the weather and porosity, Oiling may be helpful ro may be drying.

I obviously can't speak for everybody else but as someone with coarse hair I definitely need moisture. It has actually done wonders for me, especially since I've bc'd. I stay away from protein, and try to use henna minimally once a month. Although I'm not CG, I definitely ensure that conditioner and DT are apart of my weekly regimen always. I also minimize clarifying. It's possible that your clarifying shampoo is stripping too much. Also how often are you clarifying? I like to use bentonite clay keeps my hair soft and its 100% organic.
    ith
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    This helps.

ALso, there are many threads where those of us with coarse or medium coarse hair have posted.

If someone coarse if following these recs and still having problems, then it is likely that something else is going on whether it's your water, product build-up, poor use of moisturizers, etc.

This is helpful too. I was so stuck thinking I must need more moisture, I didn't think about possible buildup even though I am CG. I guess cones are not the only things that can build up.

wild curls raquelle, thanks for the heads up I'll have to go check out HomeDepot and Lowes.

D

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    just a note, if you think you have water build up, make sure the water filter you pick up is for hard water. I've found that most of them at lowes and home depot only filter out chlorine or sediment and aren't for calcium, magnesium, or lime. Which is usually what makes water hard.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users

This is not working.

Hi hon,

D

What I *do* see however, are many curlies confusing dry and rough with coarse.
    Plenty a curly has changed her mind about being coarse after getting their hair properly conditioned.

100% agree. You can not really tell if someone have coarse hair by looking at pictures. People often look at my pictures and assume that my hair is soft and fine, but that is not the case - at all.

My hair is like wire - each individual strand of hair is very thick in comparison to someone with fine hair. Coarse hair has nothing to do with the tightness of curl, it is only about the size (diameter)of each individual strand of hair.

I agree with RCC, I think a lot of people think their medium or fine hair is coarse because it lacks moisture and because it feels a certain way - but this does not make a person's hair coarse. I notice people also often use the coarse descriptor to describe their damaged hair, but coarse hair is NOT the same as damaged hair. In fact, a large majority of people with coarse hair are asians and native Americans, I think most people would look at their hair and see the shine and strength in their "coarse" hair and definitely not call it damaged(Now - before anyone gets upset, I'm not saying you have to be asian or native american to have coarse hair or that all asians and native americans have coarse hair, I'm using this only as an example and a reference since I would think many people have seen asians and native americans with this type of hair).

OP, only you can tell if your hair is really coarse - look at each individual strand - is it thick, is it wiry - if yes, you probably have coarse hair. It's a gift, not a curse:flower:. My hair is wiry and I love it:love4:

Pretty much all of the products you described you're using gave me a problem. I couldn't use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] = frizz. I couldn't use Lustersilk = frizz and hard hair. I couldn't use Giovanni because it has protein = hard hair. AOHR worked initially, but then frizz.

The only way I got past all these issues, was to experiment, and the one common denominator for my hair issues was certain oils and glycerin. After I discovered this, I cut them out. Once I cut them out Pow-Dow!!

In order to experiment though, I had to clarify my hair. I had get rid of all the things that my hair did not like (certain oils, glycerin, protein, etc). Once I did this - I've been having great days.

The list of products I'm using now is small:

I wash with water then apply GVP Conditioning Balm, let it sit while I do my other shower things then rinse. I use KBB Super Silky as a leave-in (it does have jojoba oil in it, but it's low on the list - so far my hair has not been having issues with it). Over the KBB, I use HE Body Envy or Set Me Up or Aussie Instant Freeze as my styling gel. I've been doing this for a week, and day after day, I've been having excellent hair days.

Please don't get me wrong - I am not recommending that you use the products I'm using, I'm only telling you what worked on my coarse hair. You really have to experiment to know what your hair likes.

Oh, one other thing I've noticed after cutting out certain oils and other ingredients my hair didn't like, is that I only need a small amount of gel, compared to the loads of it I used to have to use in order to tame the frizz that those other ingredients were causing.

If you have issues with hard water and you decide to clarify, you might consider trying Redkin Cleansing Creme, I use this one, and it's very good plus it also removes mineral buildup.

Best of luck:flower:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
    how do you know if a shampoo will remove hard water buildup? Which ingredients should I look out for??
    TIA!
    D

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    how do you know if a shampoo will remove hard water buildup? Which ingredients should I look out for??
    TIA!
    D

I'm not sure which ingredient it is that actually removes the buildup - my knowledge about that is pretty limited. I do know that on the Redkin Cleansing Creme bottle - the label reads, "[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Hair cleansing cream[/buylink] shampoo clarifies and helps remove mineral deposits and styling product build-up on all hair types".

This is a product that was recommended to me a few years ago by a stylist that I really liked. My results were so good with it that I've kept using it over the years. I've tried other things, but they always left my hair feeling more stripped than the Redkin.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    I've always thought that 'coarse' was a bad word to do. It's incongruent.

Fine, Medium...Coarse?

Then again, 'thick' isn't good either. You can have thick hair that's fine...if you have alot of fine hair.

My hair is thick and coarse. The strands are really 'thick.'

Coarse hair doesn't automatically mean dry or damaged...
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    first, we should try to set up a forum for very thick strand hair.

because what works for less-thick-strand-hair may be detrimental to our hairs' well-being.
    (it's not about curl pattern). our hair is about individual strand diameter.

OnyxCalebo: which oils did your hair not like?
    how do you do your stylers (soaking wet or damp?)
    do you add to your DT?

RedCelticCurls: i have 3 Qs if you would answer them:
    1. when does the use of oil become a problem in your experience?
    2. which items are you talking about when you say "emoillents" as opposed to moisturizers or oils?
    3. why would a person with very thick strands and dry hair not want to condition their hair?

and for all of us with thick strand hair wanting to share and learn from each other: please mention specific products that worked or did not work for you and why if you can in responding to this thread. Thanks all! Alex
    does anyone know where i can buy Karen's Body Beautiful Super Silky?

i am so grateful to get hair advice from others with really thick strand hair and i cannot wait to get started!

thank you so much everyone! Alex :toothy4:
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users

because what works for less-thick-strand-hair may be detrimental to our hairs' well-being.

Instead, how about you use the search function and talk to other curlies with hair like yours, as you are doing now? Setting up separate boards for every aspect of hair would be largely frustrating to admins and people looking for general answers.

If you all are actually serious about proposing a new board for coarse hair, then you will also have to have boards for fine hair, low-porosity, high-porosity, oil sensitive, protein sensitive, emollient sensitive, glycerin sensitive, PEG- cone and castor oil sensitive... get my point? Trying to subdivide EVERYTHING into it's own little buddy group would become utterly ridiculous.

Threads like these are very helpful and accessible to everyone. I'm glad you ladies got helpful feedback and have a direction on how to improve your hair health. :toothy4:
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    To: Onyx and OneThousand Curls: thank you to the two of you for actually trying to help and posting to actually answer the thread.

and i hope you two can come back and help the many very thick strand curlies who have expressed interest in relevant hair advice!

Thank you to you two and to the other very thick strand curl women who understand that we need our own hair advice.

Perhaps if we use "coarse" or "thick strand" in our threads on this board, we can look out for posts that are going to be really useful for our hair?
    Alex :toothy4:
  • JusduitJusduit Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OperaCurls, your haircut it absolutely darling...LUV IT!!! :flower:

does anyone know where i can buy Karen's Body Beautiful Super Silky?

i am so grateful to get hair advice from others with really thick strand hair and i cannot wait to get started!

thank you so much everyone! Alex :toothy4:

You can buy KBB Super Silky directly from the website:

http://www.karensbodybeautiful.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=super+silky

or there is some on the Swap board if it's still available:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=85187
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak

do you add to your DT?

2. which items are you talking about when you say "emoillents" as opposed to moisturizers or oils?
    3. why would a person with very thick strands and dry hair not want to condition their hair?

and for all of us with thick strand hair wanting to share and learn from each other: please mention specific products that worked or did not work for you and why if you can in responding to this thread. Thanks all! Alex

I'm not a huge user of oils, so I haven't tried every one out there, but I've tried olive oil, camellia oil, caster oil, carrot, babassu, monoi oil, & vit e. None of these worked well in my hair:pale:.

I apply my styler to damp hair, not soaking wet - I can't stand the drips.

I actually used to add oil my dt until I realized that the oil was contributing to my problems. Now, I don't add anything to it at all.

To: Onyx and OneThousand Curls: thank you to the two of you for actually trying to help and posting to actually answer the thread.

and i hope you two can come back and help the many very thick strand curlies who have expressed interest in relevant hair advice!

Thank you to you two and to the other very thick strand curl women who understand that we need our own hair advice.

Perhaps if we use "coarse" or "thick strand" in our threads on this board, we can look out for posts that are going to be really useful for our hair?

You're welcome:flower:.

TIA!
    D

I think EDTA will do it.

Well, that is the thing to do, and this has been addressed again and again ad nauseum.

Also, using the search engine helps. This site is based on numeric typing, so I doubt that we will see texture based forums in the near future. Besides, it would also have to address porosity, which would then require 12-16 new boards to accommodate everyone.

Also, read, nappycurlycrown's blog. She has coarse hair, and it will be pretty useful.

do you add to your DT?

Sorry I missed this!

I don't like liquid oil in my hair for the most part; they leave it crunchy. The only exception is an expensive oil blend that I get from CurlMart, and I only use that in the fall and winter over top of hair that is already wet with a DT. I have never liked liquid oils on dry hair.

I do use mango oil, which has a buttery texture, on top of my leave in to seal. I use this more for my porosity than for my texture, but I think it may translate well elsewhere from what I've read from those who use it. Most of the oil sealing info I got was from searching around over on the 4A boards. Actually, about 95% of my routine has come from searching around on the 4A boards...

2. My preferred emollients are fatty alcohols. I love some fatty alcohols! Certain oils are also emollient, but they tend to be the liquid kind I hate. I also really like behentrimonium methosulfate.

StruttsWife's ebook is pretty in depth about dividing ingredients into categories. It is reasonably priced and well worth it.

CurlChemist, over in the ingredients sub-section in the CurlReading section of the site is also a great resource. There are years of interesting articles to browse and it really helped me with learning ingredients.

3. I never said that. I just think most people who think they have coarse hair really don't. Unless your hair strand is thicker than a strand of cotton thread from a spool, then you (gy) are probably just dry. As OnyxCabello said, most people confuse dry and brittle with coarse, when coarse is merely a descriptor of stand size and not of the condition of the hair.

It is more common to see coarse hair in Asians and Native Americans, and Del2c has talked about her heritage when she has mentioned her strand size. I'm medium coarse. Medium is more common in Whites. I get whatever coarseness I get from my father who is a natural redhead. For whatever quirky reason, it is not unusual (though you don't see it in everyone)for natural redheads to have coarse sized strands.

So, for some, what turns out to be coarse hair ends up being medium hair that, when conditioned to the hair's liking, suddenly gets overconditioned. At that point, you (gy) at least know what works!

Texture is a hard concept to fully grasp, and i had to ask my stylist for confirmation.

Coarse hair is actually one of the easier types to manage, once you learn what your hair likes, unless you are also highly porous. It is less resistant to damage than fine or medium hair, and you won't get limp overconditioned hair very easily. It holds up well and tends to look thick and full. The one hard part (it gave me a year's worth of trouble) is finding a low protein routine that most coarse haired curlies will need. Many, if not most, conditioners contain some type of protein. Finding a good one without protein, or with a protein that you hair likes can take time and lots of trial and error since what one coarse head likes may not be what another coarse head likes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file