porosity help

I have come to believe that my hair is just naturally very porous. It is very healthy, has no color and no relaxer in it but just doesn't seem to hold anything more than a few hours. I can put gel in it until it's as crunchy as a potato chip and within a few hours it looks fluffy and like I didn't put any product in it at all :dontknow:.

Does anyone else have this issue, or know what I might be able to do to correct it? I usually seal with an oil after applying product but that doesn't seem to be working anymore either.

3b/c mix; mixture of fine, med. and coarse texture with med-high porosity

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
:rolleyes:

http://public.fotki.com/crazycurlz21/
password:rupert

Comments

• OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like your hair may be low porosity, in that it does not allow moisture to easily get in or out of your hair - the "scales" on each individual strand lie flat making it difficult for products to penetrate. Putting oil on your hair actually makes it worse because certain oils act like a barrier making it even more difficult for moisture to get to the hair.

My hair is the same way. I also have extremely coarse hair in that each strand it thick and wiry.

What I recently found is that my hair HATES oil. I wrote about my experience with oils in my blog.

Once I eliminated oils from my hair routine my issues with frizz, hair hardness, and the need to apply excess styling products was gone.

In order to get back on track though, I had to clarify my hair, so that might be a good place to start if your hair doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Clarify, then deep condition. I like BioInfusion Conditioning Hydrating Balm, but since you already have GVP Conditioning Balm, you can use that as well, just leave it on and perhaps wrap a hot towel around or sit under a dryer if you've got one.

GVP CB is another favorite of mine - I use it daily now. Oil free products are not very easy to find, but they are out there. I personally like, the GVP CB, as I mentioned and also, HE Set Me Up, Aussie Instant Freeze, or HE Body Envy for a styling gel - all are oil free. VO5 and good oil free co-wash products. And Biotera has an oil free leave-in. All of these I've tried and like.

I recently took a chance and purchased KBB Super Silky, which does have jojoba oil in it, but it low on the list. I was just discussing this on another thread, but you may end up being on of those people who can actually tolerate certain oils. For example, I thought ALL oils for my hair were bad - And caster oil was the worst. But my hair has been tolerating the KBB Super Silky very well. This might be because the jojoba is so low on the list, and because it's combined with more water based ingredients such as aloe vera:dontknow:. At any rate, I've been using the KBB SS as my leave-in under one of the gels listed above and my hair is doing just fine.

So anyway, experimentation is the key, but perhaps the no oil theory might be a place to start.

Best of luck:flower:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    Hmmm, very interesting theory I had not EVER considered. My hair just always seems to not retain moisture after it's dry.
    I think you are right about clarifying though, I will start there. I was using castor oil for a while with great success but perhaps it's buildup or something that is preventing moisture from getting into my hair and ultimately staying there.
    One product that I know my hair hates that most seem to love is aloe. When I put it on my hair it feels like I'm applying straight rubbing alcohol, it gets all sticky and dries a frizzy mess, I try to stay away from things with aloe in them period. I've been considering a protein treatment as I over did the protein last winter and haven't really touched it since but if your theory is correct and I have low porosity would protein be bad?
    Phew, it's exhausting sometimes trying to have beautiful hair :confused4:

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hmmm, very interesting theory I had not EVER considered. My hair just always seems to not retain moisture after it's dry.
    I think you are right about clarifying though, I will start there. I was using castor oil for a while with great success but perhaps it's buildup or something that is preventing moisture from getting into my hair and ultimately staying there.
    One product that I know my hair hates that most seem to love is aloe. When I put it on my hair it feels like I'm applying straight rubbing alcohol, it gets all sticky and dries a frizzy mess, I try to stay away from things with aloe in them period. I've been considering a protein treatment as I over did the protein last winter and haven't really touched it since but if your theory is correct and I have low porosity would protein be bad?
    Phew, it's exhausting sometimes trying to have beautiful hair :confused4:

Well, if your hair is low porosity, you are already having trouble getting moisture in, so protein is just going to make it worse. Protein is another one of those "adding an extra barrier on top" kind of ingredients. Perhaps if your hair were on the weak side then a protein treatment would probably be a good idea. But if your hair relatively healthy and strong already, just overly dry - then moisture, moisture, moisture is really what's going to help get it back on track.

Interesting what you said about aloe - what kind have you used - just curious?
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    OK I was just commenting on your other thread regarding porosity. You leave me with no choice but to experiment more with my hair (oh darn :toothy4:)
    I'm stopping at Walgreens tonight and will pick up some Bioinfusion as well as a gel with no glycerine in it. I am going to cut out all oils, glycerin, and proteins from my hair for at least a week (is that long enough) and see what happens, if it's not better, I'll throw some protein in there to see how it reacts.
    I will have to clarify first, I hate using sulfates though, are they necessary if I've been using oils? What is a gentler one, if there is such a thing?

Oh yeah I used Walgreen's brand 100% Aloe Gel when I did use it, it's compared to FOTE I think.
    One other thing I was thinking about, it's been a while since I've processed my hair (colored or relaxed) but when I used to the relaxers always took really well which I attributed to being porous, but color never really did, could be because my hair is so dark. It does lighten in the summer to a reddish tint though - does that have anything to do with porosity?

OK I was just commenting on your other thread regarding porosity. You leave me with no choice but to experiment more with my hair (oh darn :toothy4:)

Gurl, I know it's a pain, believe me I do, but it's really the only way to find out what your hair likes:flower:.

I'm stopping at Walgreens tonight and will pick up some Bioinfusion as well as a gel with no glycerine in it. I am going to cut out all oils, glycerin, and proteins from my hair for at least a week (is that long enough) and see what happens, if it's not better, I'll throw some protein in there to see how it reacts.

Yes, a week should be long enough, I changed my routine for about a week - granted I was styling my hair daily - that is, washing, conditioning and styling daily, but yes, doing it for a week was enough for me to determine if making those changes was the right choice.

I will have to clarify first, I hate using sulfates though, are they necessary if I've been using oils? What is a gentler one, if there is such a thing?

I'm not really well versed in alternatives to clarifying - I know some people have used bentonite clay, which I have tried too, but it's been a while and I honestly can not remember if I was able to remove all my build up with just a bentonite treatment alone.

Some people like to use castile soap, which is supposed to be gentler, but I really can't speak to that.

I like to use Redkin Cleansing Creme, I've tried other clarifiers and they always left my hair hugely stripped. The Redkin cleans my hair, but it does not feel as stripped as other products I've used. Some people also say that V05 or Suave(I can't remember which one) has a good clarifier, but I've never tried either.

Oh yeah I used Walgreen's brand 100% Aloe Gel when I did use it, it's compared to FOTE I think.
    One other thing I was thinking about, it's been a while since I've processed my hair (colored or relaxed) but when I used to the relaxers always took really well which I attributed to being porous, but color never really did, could be because my hair is so dark. It does lighten in the summer to a reddish tint though - does that have anything to do with porosity?

Yes, how quickly or how well your hair takes in dye or relaxers, etc. has a lot to do with porosity. It's interesting that your hair took relaxers fairly easily but not dye, I've never heard of that, but then, I'm not expert in all this - perhaps your could ask StruttsWife about this one.

Have you had a chance to read through this thread - http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=76250 It's a lot of great info on porosity, texture, etc. If you haven't already - you should check it out:thumbup:

HTH:)

• dominicanadominicana Posts: 239Registered Users
    One product that I know my hair hates that most seem to love is aloe. When I put it on my hair it feels like I'm applying straight rubbing alcohol, it gets all sticky and dries a frizzy mess, I try to stay away from things with aloe in them period.

My hair hates straight AVG too :angry1:, but I have discovered that it does like AVG mixed with water in a spray bottle :love4:. It's almost like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in that it defines the curls. I tried the other day straight AVG and, my hair still hates its. A big, frizzy sticky mess. You mighthave to experiment how much water to how much AVG.

HTH

D
    Lady Valeria of the Isle of Neraida in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Central Florida Curly
    CG since May 5, 2009
    Hair Type: 3cCiii coarse\porous
    Conditioners: Bioinfusion HCB, CJCR, SpiralSolutions DDMT, BellaCurl MC, BellaCurl LE, KCKT, YesToCucumbers
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, FSG, KCCC, SpiralSolutions CEJ
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    I can say it seems to take about a week to really tell.

I posted last week about the dry (severely) state of my daughter's hair.

We ended up using Giovanni Wheat shampoo to clarify (oddly enough I could find no wheat or protein in this shampoo!) and then we altered her products. We did the pre-poo DT with coconut oil, EVOO, and Honey (all organic) and then we followed with the Aura Cherry Almond Bark and used that as a leave in as well. It worked wonderfully.

We also just tried Tigi Moisture Maniac and that works even better and it is fairly protein free and looks like oil free--and it is working wonders...except we can't use it on dry hair (hard hair = result) so we went back to Aura Cherry Bark one for leave in.

Her hair is much happier...and we figured out too much protein was a bad thing for her so we avoid it. We are seeing great strides in her hair now so will continue to monitor her protein (I sound like a Dr.! haha) and likely her oils as well and just use the ones we know she does well with.

Glycerin is o.k. for her if we use small amounts.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file