Calling all Curly Gurus... anti- humectant products rec's please

I have very coarse, dry, color treated hair that is also very high in porosity. Therefore, I need to use anti-humectants always. Soooo my question is does anyone know if there is a product list of ani-humectants with or without cones out there? If not, can anyone tell me the names of some good AH with or without cones?
Thanks so much...again.:toothy4:
Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
Leave-In: KCKT
Prep: ? Looking for the HG
Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
Stylers: PM Foam
Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

Comments

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    coconut oil (and i guess all oils) are anti humectants. I think, let's see if anyone else chimes in:toothy4:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curlisto makes an antihumectant called "Finishing Pomade." It is like a souffle of cones but the label says it is water soluble. I like it because it is very lightweight. I also have color treated hair. I haven't had any buildup problems at all with it, but I low poo once or twice a week.

Frederik Fekkai makes a Glossing Cream that I like. It is very expensive though. It has more of a creamy moisturizing consistency than the Curlisto product and a touch of hold so it may make your hair greasy if you use too much. Redkin makes an anti-humectant pomade but I've never tried it.

You might try looking under the curl products section to see the reviews of these products to see if other curlies like them. Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • goldfishliberatorgoldfishliberator Posts: 5Registered Users
    Pardon my guano, please, but I have coarse, dry, highly porous hair too, and I thought humectants were a good thing to keep moisture bound to your hair (when humidity and dew points are right). You know, since highly porous hair can't hold moisture well.

How does an anti-humectant help? Or am I missing something?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, you're right. There is a long but very helpful thread about this somewhere, having to do with dewpoints. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is. I hope other curlies will point it out to you.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • lovemycurlzlovemycurlz Posts: 330Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Yes, you're right. There is a long but very helpful thread about this somewhere, having to do with dewpoints. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is. I hope other curlies will point it out to you.
    Hey Goldfishliberator and Curlypearl the Curlychemist posted an article about porosity in hair. In that article she speaks/writes about hair that is highly porous. If you type in high porosity in the search engine above you willfind her article posted on Aug. 3rd.
    Anyway in that article she mentions that hair with high p needs lots of moisturizers and emollients and anti- humectants in high heat or humidity. That is also what my hair guy said. He told me to use shampoos and conditioners that are rich in moisturizers and use anti humectants to "seal the deal" after I am done, ie; after my curl cream and right before before my gel or mouse. Hense I am looking for some products that would be considered anti humectants. Not to mention I am a product junky at heart. It doesn't take much for me to have a reason to look for new things to try on my hair. Hehehe.
    Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you live in a climate that is high humidity?? If not, then you need to change what you do with the Seasons. You don't need to avoid Humectants in Ideal dews 40-50's range, it's only in Extreme Highs or Lows in Summer ingreds such as described here

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point

In Winter lots of moisture by using LI's and rich conditioners and maybe a curl cream. Lustrasilk Shea Mango is excellent for Porous heads. You should check out Curl Junkie Curl Rehab it can serve you as a Condish and LI.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    What would we do without Del2C. You are such a wealth of good info! Thanks again. I live in Va.Beach and even in the winter we struggle with humidity granted it isn't as high as it is in the Spring and Summer but it is humidity none the less. Today however humidity is at 46% so I am assuming that I could get away with a humectant, right?
    Anybody.....?

• SouthernMossSouthernMoss Posts: 291Registered Users
    You can't go by the relative humidity (the percent number). 46% of 50 is a lot less than 46% of 90, right? You need to go by the dewpoint, which is a measure of the actual amount of water in the air.

Go to www.wunderground.com and look up the weather for your zip code. In the section where the temperature is, you will see the dew point. It is measured in degrees, just like temperature. There are some really good explanations of dew point that you can look up here on NC and on some of the members blogs.

The rule of thumb that I've seen is that humectants should be avoided when the dew point is low (below 30°F-40°F) and when the dew point is high (above 60°F). You'll have to experiment to find out exactly what your own personal range is, because it may be different than these numbers.
    Wavy, fine texture, med/high porosity (?), med density
    2cFii on the Fia System

Current products
    :
    Low-poo: JC GLS or JC HCC
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut (also do water-wash)
    Rinse-out: AO GPB, Mop C Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: BB FSG, BRHG, JC Oil Blend, BB Hemp, Grapeseed, & Clary Sage Hair and Body Butter
    Deep treatments: Nexxus Emergencee PT, Jessicurl WDT
    Occasional ACV rinses

mod-CG since June, 2009

sigpic.jpg
    Wow, I didn't know that. So tell me, does it matter if I have highly porous hair as far as humectants go? I mean since my hair is so porous do I ever need to vary my use of a humectant vs. and anti-humectant in dew points? I was under the impression that since my hair is so very porous I needed to use anti-humectants mostly. Thanks

• goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I have found if you happen to have highly porous hair, that you will still tend to frizz if you don't have an anti-humectant (like today, the dew point is 50, and when I took my son to school, my problem areas are all poofed out). I usually just make sure that my last layer is a gel or something else that doesn't have a load of humectants in it. Its the only way to keep the damaged parts of my hair from becoming a puff ball. Coconut oil as a pre-poo has really helped those troublesome areas calm down a bit. My problem is that my hair is fine, thin, and wavy, so its ridiculously easy to weigh down my hair. Finding a CG anti-humectant that doesn't slick my hair down to my head has been a challenge.

I was shocked when I took a look and my dew point is down to 50!!! Lol, It took till nearly october first for it to get down to 50 hehehe.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
    goobernut wrote: »
    I have found if you happen to have highly porous hair, that you will still tend to frizz if you don't have an anti-humectant (like today, the dew point is 50, and when I took my son to school, my problem areas are all poofed out). I usually just make sure that my last layer is a gel or something else that doesn't have a load of humectants in it. Its the only way to keep the damaged parts of my hair from becoming a puff ball. Coconut oil as a pre-poo has really helped those troublesome areas calm down a bit. My problem is that my hair is fine, thin, and wavy, so its ridiculously easy to weigh down my hair. Finding a CG anti-humectant that doesn't slick my hair down to my head has been a challenge.

I was shocked when I took a look and my dew point is down to 50!!! Lol, It took till nearly october first for it to get down to 50 hehehe.
    That is what I thought too, Goobernut, and that has, so far been my experience. I have tried glycerin and other humectants before with not much luck. I have had better luck when I mixed Paul Mitchell's Super skinny (an anti-humectant) with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. My only complaint with that mix is that I often get pieces of hair that wont scrunch soft and look stringy. But I don't have frizz!!Woop!!Woop!

Yeah, I used Super skinny before I went CG and was straightening my hair. Works great for that lol!

I've heard that PM Round Trip is supposed to be anti-humectant and not have 'cones in it. My stylist used it on me last time I was there. I wasn't super impressed with it, but I haven't really experimented with it either :)

I'm having really good luck with Artec Textureline Volumizing gel. leaves me with body, and keeps the frizzies at bay for about 12-18 hours :) I have to use a leave-in underneath or it feels like plastic though.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Honestly, I think that silicones are one of the most effective anti-humectants. In the summer I use a gel with a water soluble cone in it over my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

I also oil seal, like I explained in your high porosity thread. That helps a lot too. Putting some oil on my hair when it is wet with a leave-in in it helps me too.

VA Beach dew points will be fairly moderate today and a little sticky tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow would seem to be a good time to try out a nice anti humectant.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • nomilknoglutennomilknogluten Posts: 121Registered Users
    I use Aquelle aqua cream molding paste. I got it from Sally's. I use this in place of a gel, rubbing a small amount in my hands and then scrunching. The second ingredient is wax, which is an antihumectant. It works incredibly well when the weather gets dry (I live in a semiarid desert-like place) and also when I go to visit family in humid areas. But as del2c mentioned, when the dews are in the middle range, I slather on the humectants.

The only potential bad thing is that this has a lot of protein in it, so if you are protein sensitive it might not be for you.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/AquaCream-molding-paste/SBS-563116,default,pd.html
  • nnmaynnmay Posts: 41Registered Users
    I am not a regular poster, but I read stuff on the board all the time and have for years. I know I am not a scientist, but I am a math teacher and a few years ago, I took a semester meteorology class. I think (and notice I said think.....it is just my opinion), that people focus too much on the dewpoint and I disagree. I think it has more to do with the relative humidity. The definition of dew point is as follows:

"The dew point is the temperature to which a given parcel of air must be cooled, at constant barometric pressure, for water vapor to condense into water. The condensed water is called dew. The dew point is a saturation point. When the dew point temperature falls below freezing it is often called the frost point, as the water vapor no longer creates dew but instead creates frost or hoarfrost by deposition.
    The dew point is associated with relative humidity. A high relative humidity indicates that the dew point is closer to the current air temperature. Relative humidity of 100% indicates the dew point is equal to the current temperature and the air is maximally saturated with water. When the dew point remains constant and temperature increases, relative humidity will decrease."

If you live in a place like me where the humidity is usally bad and the temperatures are pretty mild all year, a dewpoint of 30 degrees would be very dry when the actual temperature in the air is 70 degrees. That would mean there is not much moisture in the air. Whereas, if the dewpoint is 30 degrees and the temperature outside is 32 degrees, it would be VERY humid and there would be a lot of water in the air. Am I wrong about this????? I am not trying to start an argument, but would love to start a discussion about dewpoint vs. relative humidity.
    I sorta understand the reasoning behind dew point vs humidity. I think the reason there is focus on dew point more than humidity is because the higher the dew, the closer to saturation you're gonna get. Southernmoss explained it very well one time, that made the lightbulb ding for me.

What still doesn't make sense for me is this. The dewpoint drops when it rains. I think it does because it gets cooler, but at that point the humidity is 100% (or close to it usually when it rains right?) so at that point, its very wet in the air, but the dew point is lower. So is rain an exception? I mean, that's a point where there is obviously a ton of water in the air, but the dew point is lower than it was before it was raining.

I had a chance to observe the dew point closely when I got the Wunderground app for my iPhone. It was neat to see the dew vary as the weather did. We have the "rainy season" here in florida in the summer, and I could always tell when it was gonna rain at my house, because it was raining (low dew, high humidity) at the weather station about a mile from my house heh.

• nnmaynnmay Posts: 41Registered Users
    Ok.....I am now revising my original statement because I have thought about it a little more. That will teach me not to post after a long, long, long week of homecoming activities at the high school where I teach. I should just make it a rule not to post on Friday nights because apparently I don't use my brain to it's full capacity. lol

I think what I forgot to take into account is the fact that the colder it gets, the less water the air holds right? (or am I wrong about this) So 100% humidity at 40 degrees would not be as much water in the air as 100% humidity at 80 degrees? Do I have that right? Or should I just stop posting tonight all together? lol

Where I live (Savannah, GA) the temperatures are pretty moderate in the winter. It is not unusual to be wearing shorts in November. My hair absolutely loves the winter weather. My hair looks soooooo much better in the winter here. Even if we have a cold snap and it gets down to the 40's (I know that's not a cold snap for most people)....actually my hair looks even better then. It seems like the more I pay attention to humectants vs anti-humectants, the worse my hair looks. If I keep my routine the same throughout the year, my hair always looks better in the winter. Well, now that I think about it, maybe it is my summer routine that I need to change. lol
  • SouthernMossSouthernMoss Posts: 291Registered Users
    nnmay wrote: »
    So 100% humidity at 40 degrees would not be as much water in the air as 100% humidity at 80 degrees?

Exactly!

I live in southern MS, so I deal with similar weather to you. I went CG in June, and have been dealing with our southern humidity the whole time. I'm SO looking forward to the cooler weather to see what my hair can really do.
    Wavy, fine texture, med/high porosity (?), med density
    2cFii on the Fia System

Current products
    :
    Low-poo: JC GLS or JC HCC
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut (also do water-wash)
    Rinse-out: AO GPB, Mop C Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Stylers: BB FSG, BRHG, JC Oil Blend, BB Hemp, Grapeseed, & Clary Sage Hair and Body Butter
    Deep treatments: Nexxus Emergencee PT, Jessicurl WDT
    Occasional ACV rinses

mod-CG since June, 2009

sigpic.jpg
  • loreasloreas Posts: 39Registered Users
    I have fine-medium, dense, high porosity hair and have been testing out products for high dew point conditions. Based on the curl chemist article I tried out John Masters Organics Pomade because of its anti-humectant ingredients. The problem is applying it. I am not really sure how to apply a pomade because I am used to using gels and mousses, scrunching them in my wet hair. I have tried using it with HE totally twisted gel/HE tousle me softly as a base before the pomade and unfortunately my hair still got frizzy.
    loose waves and curls with a few ringlets, fine texture, medium density, high porosity.

low poo: Avalon olive and grape seed
    cowash: Suave coconut
    condition: Aubrey GPB
    leave-in: Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor
    styling: HETT gel, HETMS spray gel, AO B5, BRHG
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    nnmay wrote: »
    Ok.....I am now revising my original statement because I have thought about it a little more. That will teach me not to post after a long, long, long week of homecoming activities at the high school where I teach. I should just make it a rule not to post on Friday nights because apparently I don't use my brain to it's full capacity. lol

I think what I forgot to take into account is the fact that the colder it gets, the less water the air holds right? (or am I wrong about this) So 100% humidity at 40 degrees would not be as much water in the air as 100% humidity at 80 degrees? Do I have that right? Or should I just stop posting tonight all together? lol

Where I live (Savannah, GA) the temperatures are pretty moderate in the winter. It is not unusual to be wearing shorts in November. My hair absolutely loves the winter weather. My hair looks soooooo much better in the winter here. Even if we have a cold snap and it gets down to the 40's (I know that's not a cold snap for most people)....actually my hair looks even better then. It seems like the more I pay attention to humectants vs anti-humectants, the worse my hair looks. If I keep my routine the same throughout the year, my hair always looks better in the winter. Well, now that I think about it, maybe it is my summer routine that I need to change. lol

:)

Yeah, last winter, we had some 100% humidity days, but that is pretty pointless when it was 5 degrees out. 100% or not, the air was super dry.

I have a page on my blog that talks about dew points and why I use them. I never look at relative humidity when it comes to product usage. I'm now pretty familiar with how my hair behaves in different dew points, and I just use the dew points to decide what to use.

Since you have mild winters, it makes sense that a lot of your focus would be on summer hair and how high dew points affect you.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can you please name that gel with the water-soluble cone in it for me to try. I have KCCC, getting major frizz, and I have high porous, coarse hair. I want to use my KCCC and I want to try your routine. do you use any pomades/silk sprays after hair is dry???

Honestly, I think that silicones are one of the most effective anti-humectants. In the summer I use a gel with a water soluble cone in it over my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

I also oil seal, like I explained in your high porosity thread. That helps a lot too. Putting some oil on my hair when it is wet with a leave-in in it helps me too.

VA Beach dew points will be fairly moderate today and a little sticky tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow would seem to be a good time to try out a nice anti humectant.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness