Do dew points make a difference if you spend most of your time indoors?

Hi everyone! I need some help, so I'm turning to you wonderful ladies...

I stay indoors 99% of the time because it's really hot where I live (close to Dubai). Do you think the dew point can still affect my hair even if I'm only outside for less that 2 minutes?

Dews in my area have been in the high 70s. I didn't think they could reach me though, since I'm inside so much. But maybe I was wrong???
2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009

Comments

• tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Usually my hair will look great all day if I don't go outside. The second I go out it starts to swell and frizz.

So if you're inside no it probably wouldn't effect you too much. But the minute you go out it will start to have an effect.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • CaladhielCaladhiel Posts: 134Registered Users
    No, I don't think it'll affect your hair as long as you are inside in an air-conditioned place of course.
    However, since the humidity is that high, if your hair actually gets affected I'm sure you will notice your hair swelling and some frizz.
    -3b, high porosity, medium/fine texture (I guess).
    -CG-ing since 29/9/2008 (on and off)
    -lifeless, limp curls that need all sorts of protein in the universe.
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I agree with the lovely ladies above. My hair will look just fine until I have to step out side.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Posts: 250Registered Users
    Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

Thanks! :)

Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it does matter.

Most of us spend 90% of our time indoors, yet most of us are affected by dew points and weather changes anyway.

I work and live indoors. I exercise indoors. I live by the dewpoint although I am not outdoors all that much. After all, indoor environmental controls are set by what teh weather is outside.

Dry air outside means dry air inside, especially if you have the heat on. AC does not cut out all humidity.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    Well, yes, dry air is still dry air, but she specifically mentioned that her dew point is very HIGH. So, in that case, its a huge difference from being inside with dry air-conditioned air vs. super humid outside. And as a general rule, the colder the air, the less moisture it can hold.

Also, in the winter, people run their heater, so that makes the inside air hot, but there wasn't all that much moisture in there to begin with, so usually we end up drying out the inside environment as well. (not that I have EVER run my heater for more than one week at a time)

I answered her the way I did because I assumed she really wasn't going anywhere. If she were going back and forth to work -- even if all she were doing was going to her car, to go to work, to then just go inside to work, then I would tell her to work by the dew points. Does that make sense?

My hair will poof just taking my son to school in the mornings. It will NOT poof however if my husband takes my soon to school instead. It waits to poof when I go pick up my child heh. So, I took her at face value when she said 2 mins lol.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Posts: 250Registered Users
    Absolutely; where I live there is a huge difference between the humidity inside & outside.
    What I was specifically getting at was whether the effect of the humidity was proportionate to the amount of time spent outside. According to Goobernut and Tinah, it doesn't matter how long you spend outside, the second it gets to your hair you're done for. That's good to know I guess!

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If it didn't matter, there wouldn't be such a fuss about it I suppose. ;)
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file