Cost of a Haircut

hopcurlhopcurl Registered Users Posts: 18
I need to know, what do you pay for your haircut?

Why, 'cause I was so excited this morning when I got an email from Ouidad saying a new salon in my area is trained to cut curly hair. I went to the link and he charges $95! My old hairstylist now charges $85 (I was paying him $50) This is for only a haircut. Nothing else.

Is this normal? I'm really discouraged.

Comments

• CurlyCowgirlyCurlyCowgirly Registered Users Posts: 299 Curl Neophyte
    Depends on where you live...My first Deva cut was $75 because a consultation was included, and will go down to $62 there-after. When you have healthy hair and you get a proper hair cut, you don't have to go as often, so really it adds up to about the same cost. My curls look SO much better after my Deva-cut too, so I really recommend it!!
    Low/Med porosity, very fine, low/med elasticity & density, 3A
    AKA hard to work with hair!

Low-Poo: Kenra Volumizing shampoo, AG Fast Food shampoo
    CO: AG Ultramoist, AO GPB, Nature's Gate Aloe Vera
    Gel: GFCC mousse, HETT, Aquage Megagel
    Also: Aloe Vera juice or Alba Leave-in. Weekly ACV rinse.
    Wishlist: YTC low-poo, Elucence poo, Bioterra Curl Creme, AGEbeautiful Strengthening trtment, SS Repairing Protein Trtment, LuxyHair ext's
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    I paid about $80 for mine. It is worth it because I used to have to get a cut every couple of months because my hair shape would start getting funky. With this haircut, it lasts me about 6 months! It ends up being the same cost.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • hopcurlhopcurl Registered Users Posts: 18
    I guess if my hair was long then I'd feel okay with paying that much. But my hair is really short and I have to cut it every 4 weeks! (It grows really fast)

My hairstylist uses the Deva method. And he did a great job, at first, but I'm taking a break since he's gotten slack and just doesn't give it any kind of style.

Here's the thing, and I'm so sorry to complain, but all I get is my hair washed and cut. No styling and it is basically short - like a guys, seems like a high price for short hair....to me anyways.
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Hi there, as a stylist, I think I can help you out. If your hair is short you don't qualify for a Ouidad cut. It has to be a certain length before you can get the Carve and Slice. I would stick with the most cost effective haircut you can find if it is short. You should spend your money on products instead. Even a Deva cut is a stretch for you if your hair is shorter that 5 inches all over.
    Good Luck
    Cynthia
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I was paying $18 every 3-4 months. I found a great curly stylist at JC Penny's. Now I get a free (self) cut every 6 months. :toothy4:
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Registered Users Posts: 1,828
    I go to a "junior stylist" at an exclusively curly salon in my area (all the stylists are deva trained and they don't really have very many straight clients). At my salon, there are junior stylists, master stylists, and the owner. Basically, junior stylists are newest to the staff and are still building clientele and getting experience, but they have been deva trained. Master stylists have been at the salon for a while and have an established client base and experience. Junior stylists are $45 for wash, cut, style. Master stylists are $55 for the same services. The owner charges $75 for a hair cut from her directly.

Long story short, I pay $45 for my haircuts and I get around 5-6 months out of them (I could honestly get more, but I prefer my hair short so once it gets to a certain length I can't take it anymore and wanna hack it all off!).
  • Dancebabe885Dancebabe885 Registered Users Posts: 38
    Wow I'm so jealous of all you above posters! The salon I was going to charged me $100 for deva. The only reason I went there was for my stylist who is amazing. However, my stylist left that snooty place, and now hopefully my cut will be cheaper since her new salon charges much less.
    3a
  • hopcurlhopcurl Registered Users Posts: 18
    curlpro wrote: »
    Hi there, as a stylist, I think I can help you out. If your hair is short you don't qualify for a Ouidad cut. It has to be a certain length before you can get the Carve and Slice. I would stick with the most cost effective haircut you can find if it is short. You should spend your money on products instead. Even a Deva cut is a stretch for you if your hair is shorter that 5 inches all over.
    Good Luck
    Cynthia

this is really helpful! thank you so much. I definitely don't qualify for Ouidad or Deva cut since he was cutting my hair much shorter than 5 inches.

I'm going to look around more. There are only 3 hairstylist here that are on the Salon List. Terrified to start trying the beauty salon that aren't listed as I have had a "ton" of bad hair cuts.
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Glad to help
    Cynthia
  • conberryconberry Registered Users Posts: 12
    I think it really varies a lot depending on where you live. I'm in the suburbs of a midwest city. When I first moved here (from NYC) I checked out a lot of salons. Prices ranged from $25-80 for a haircut.

I went to a Devachan trained stylist in a fairly wealthy suburb and the haircut was $75 and completely not worth it. I had to go back to have the cut fixed!

Almost a year later I finally found MY stylist, a wonderful woman who works at a suburban salon right outside of the city. This woman is also Devachan trained and sees almost all curly clients. A haircut with her is only $35.

So even in one area, I think it can vary a bit. I'm guessing large metropolitan areas like NYC, LA, DC will be more expensive than the midwest suburbs.
    Botticelli and Corkscrew. On CG plan since Jan '03. Lover of Deva products.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file