Suave vs. V05

What one do you use? Have you had any problems with either?

I was using Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner as my co-wash, but I bought two bottles of V05 Strawberries and Cream conditioner today because it was on sale ;) I'm hoping my hair won't change at all with V05, because it seemed to be liking Suave.

For you, which one is better?
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use both of them. All different kinds of Suave Naturals and VO5 moisture. I use a ton of em. They both seem to work the same for me.
    Cheap and effective co-wash and light condish.
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • MokahDeeLyteMokahDeeLyte Posts: 132Registered Users
    Same here. They both seem to work the same. The Suave is a tad bit thicker, and I love the smell of the Tropical Coconut, but either one will do.
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use both, and I like both, too. But, I kind of like the Suave Coconut a little bit more. It tends to make my hair a little softer than the VO5.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I also like both, but prefer Suave. I have lots of bottles of both in all different scents. My favorite scents in the Suave are the Cherry blossom and the coconut.....in the Vo5, I like the tea therapy and I just picked up a bottle of the kiwi lime. I find the suave is thicker.....just a matter of preference. I love the fact that they are so cheap. I use them mainly as rinse outs and not for co-washing as much. For co-washing I find that the clarifying (suave) works great. HTH.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • NicaCurlsNicaCurls Posts: 164Registered Users
    I like the V05 better. The fact that it's thinner makes it work better as a co-wash for me. I love the Tea Therapy ones.
    Pacific Northwest 3a/3b, medium all across the board, possibly porous.

Low-Poo: Trader Joe's Refresh
    Co-wash: V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile, Giovanni TTTT
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm, Yes to Tomatoes, EO Chamomile & Honey
    Leave-in: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Sonoma Soap Company First Crush
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT
    Gels: BRHG, Biotera
    Stylers/Mousses: Komaza Coconut Pudding, Curls Goddess Glaze
  • CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    NicaCurls wrote: »
    I like the V05 better. The fact that it's thinner makes it work better as a co-wash for me. I love the Tea Therapy ones.

Ditto
    CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
    Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    The tea therapy ones are the best! When I was still a 3b, I used the calming chamomile as a co-wash and it made my hair soooo soft! I wish I had the chance to use the vanilla mint one, because vanilla is my all-time favorite scent!:love4:Right now I'm using L'Oreal EverPure products and they smell SOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!!!!!
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Ditto

+2

My hair doesn't care for Suave as a cowash. It's too thick for my tastes ans seemed to build up.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
    i've been using suave, but am planning on trying the vo5s at some point. and the nice thing is if i don't like it i'm only out like a dollar! plus i can use the unwanted conditioner for shaving my legs. :lol:
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Posts: 260Registered Users

Mmm Blackberry Sage Tea smells sooooo good! This is an excellent reminder that I need to pick up another bottle.
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • NicaCurlsNicaCurls Posts: 164Registered Users

Mmm Blackberry Sage Tea smells sooooo good! This is an excellent reminder that I need to pick up another bottle.

I haven't tried the Blackberry Sage. I think that's the next one I'm going to pick up.
    Pacific Northwest 3a/3b, medium all across the board, possibly porous.

Low-Poo: Trader Joe's Refresh
    Co-wash: V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile, Giovanni TTTT
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm, Yes to Tomatoes, EO Chamomile & Honey
    Leave-in: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Sonoma Soap Company First Crush
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT
    Gels: BRHG, Biotera
    Stylers/Mousses: Komaza Coconut Pudding, Curls Goddess Glaze
  • Aklyen124Aklyen124 Posts: 22Registered Users
    I've been anal with co-washing in terms of what has any kind of protein in it. V05 has some panthanol, which turned me off to it. I won't knock it, it's a great cheapie but I have want to co-wash with moisture exclusively. That's why I chose Suave.
    Revenge is a dish best served with a splash of irony.:afro:
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hated Suave so much for making my hair limp, whispy, frizzy, cobwebby , straight and unmanageable. I didn't even bother with the VO5. I went back using GTTT because it has better ingredients. Now I only co-wash and "shampoo" 1-2x a week and do water washes to save $.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I tried the Suave several months ago and didn't like it as I like thicker conditioners even for co-washing plus it didn't really seem to do anything for my hair. Picked up a bottle of VO5 this week while in Dollar Tree but have not used it yet.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Suave Coconut is my all time favorite (and it's what I shave with too) and I also love VO5 Kiwi Lime and Moisture Milks.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • AntjeAntje Posts: 94Registered Users
    I'm a suave girl, and that is because I cannot buy the vo5 conditioner in my region.
    And I think it is a little silly to buy only one bottle of conditioner on the internet
    2c waves curls.

Started the CG routine again!! since Februari 8 2011

http://www.glamourace-collies.blogspot.nl/
  • MarcieaMarciea Posts: 148Registered Users
    I started out with VO5 (Blackberry Sage) for a cowash because it is supposedly lighter weight than Suave and I really don't like it.

I find that on the days that I just water wash and use my rinse out my hair is much happier than when I cowash. With cowashing I feel a little weighed down and stringy looking.
    3A!
    Low Poo: GTTT, TJ's Refresh

Rinse Out: LVP, TJ's Nourish, GFTN, 365, SSCC
    Styling: HEBE,
    Biotera Curl Cream/Gel, Marie Dean, EW SAJ, Pink Boots, Re:Coil, KCCC, CK
  • IrisChacon1984IrisChacon1984 Posts: 158Registered Users
    I tried V05 Moisture Milks and it was a little drying for me, (still have the bottle.) The only way I can use it is if I add Olive Oil to it.

I like Suave better.
    Last Perm: August 2007
    BC: June 21st 2008,
    3C/4A Thick Curly/Kinky texture, low porosity

Products:
    Pre-Poo - EVOO
    Poo- Creme of Nature (Red Label), KCCC
    Cowash - HEHH & HENOYF, Aussie Moist
    DT- Herbal Essence Hydraliscious Reconditioning Conditioner
    Leave in-KCKT, KBBHM (EM)
    Moisturizer: OHM Frank Juice, KBBHB (VL)
    Oil: Coconut Oil, Olive Oil
    Styling: KCCC, QBOHHB.

http://public.fotki.com/ShiraLaCocolita/

• botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    I tried V05 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream condish :) I like both Suave Naturals Coconut and V05 Strawberries and Cream!

They both moisturize my hair very well. I have yet to try V05 Tea Therapy ^_^

And I also want to try Suave Ocean Breeze :)
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

• mushroom_headmushroom_head Posts: 118Registered Users
    V05 Freesia works great as co-wash, but I recently discovered that it contains protein, which normally my hair doesn't like/need. After switching to Suave aloe and waterlily, I haven't notice any difference. :dontknow:
    Coarse, thiiiick, porous, drrrry, 2c, dislikes proteins, likes ACV!
    Suave or V05 for co-wash, Garnier Nutrise triple nutrition and sleek & shine, Matrix Biolage conditioning balm, FSG and LA Looks sports gel.
  • mnekaw3mnekaw3 Posts: 69Registered Users
    I use both Suave and VO5 and I can't really tell a difference in my hair.

My most recent purchase was White Rain - Tropical Coconut. I think I like this coconut scent BETTER than Suave's coconut.

Does anyone have opinions on White Rain for co-wash?
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    White Rain works as well for me as Suave and VO5, but it's too flowery or chemical smelling for me. But that's just my nose. My hair likes it just fine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • tonsofcurlztonsofcurlz Posts: 323Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I usually like thick conditioners so I thought that Suave Coconut would be perfect but it has no slip for my hair. The V05's are thin but seem to coat my hair in a way that makes co-washing easier. The V05 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint conditioner is my favorite.
    3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
    Low Poos:
    MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
    Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
    Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: SOF540.
  • elixandreaelixandrea Posts: 31Registered Users
    my vote is for VO5...suave dries my hair out :sad1: the blackberry smells sooooooooooooo good!!!
    Last Relaxer: 7.26.09
    Natural Mindset: 10.10.09

Hair Type
    Med. Tex., High Porosity, High Density, High Elasticity

Routine
    Poo:
    Coal Tar/ Nizoral (As Needed)
    CoWash: VO5 Tea Therapy w/ Salt (2-3 X a week)
    DC: ORS Replenishing Pak
    Leave In: Diluted VO5
    Seal: EVOO
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Loved V05 when I cowashed. I still love it for rinsing out ayurveda powders....has great slip.
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    I use Suave, but that's only because I like the Green Apple Scent.

I need to find other green apple scented hair products
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
    V05 Freesia works great as co-wash, but I recently discovered that it contains protein, which normally my hair doesn't like/need. After switching to Suave aloe and waterlily, I haven't notice any difference. :dontknow:

But if your hair responded well to it, it seems all right to use...

• tattooedmommietattooedmommie Posts: 145Registered Users
    I like V05 better. Suave seems to frizz me out and not give me quite the clumps that I can get from V05. I like the fact that it's got a thinner consistency because I can distribute it more easily. I use it as a rinse out and a leave in.

Love the tea therapy.

Miss the Sauve Coconut smell though.
    I'm keeping it simple and curly... Jonna
    A Girl And Her Curl
    Tweet Me
    3a/b
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users

+1 exactly.

I really like that it is thinner for the co-wash. Ditto for my daughter..thinner is easier for her to actually work into her really thick hair. I also like the scents of the VO5 better...I love coconut but didn't really care for the Suave Coconut condish.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users

I prefer VO5 too, maybe because my hair is fine but I usually add a drop or two of oil, hardly any of them have any at all. And I love the smell of that blackberry one, too bad I found it at a drugstore that's not close from me, no one else has it though so I'll have to go that way one of these days.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file