Does anyone hate co-washing?

Hi guys!

I've been following a modified CG routine for a while now, but I'm having some issues. I low-poo about twice a week. I tried co-washing several times, but my hair was extremely stringy and oily after I did it, and it loses its curl. I have naturally oily skin and hair, so I was wondering if frequent conditioning is really necessary for ALL CGs.

Are there any other CGs out there who can't co-wash or who don't condition very often?
:batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Conditioner
: Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
Styling
: Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

Comments

• lauroon212lauroon212 Posts: 5Registered Users
    How long have you been following the CG method?? For a period of about 2 months after going CG my scalp felt oily and my hair was stringy but after that my hair and scalp got used to it. I noticed it more when I straightened my hair but when it was curly it wasn't such a big deal.
    Products: DevaCurl No-Poo, DevaCurl OneC, FOTE Aloe Vera Gel

Tricks: Plopping, finger curling, NO RAKE AND SHAKE FOR ME!!
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    Make sure you're using a really light conditioner, look for a CG conditioner that says 'clarifying' or 'for volume' on the bottle. Also, a lot of people assume that you have to co-wash every day which is how they get over conditioned and stringy. Personally I co-wash ever second or third day and just water wash in between.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Same here. I cowash twice a week, and do a rinse and scrub on the other days. It takes a while for your hair to get used to not having its moisture stripped away by sulfates. Once it does, the oil production really does slow down, which helps your face too. Also be sure you're rinsing ALL the conditioner out when you cowash. Scrub your scalp under rhe running water when you rinse, and get off every trace of the conditioner. Once your hair doesn't produce as much oil, you may want to try leaving some in, but for now rinse it all out. Hang in there! It does get better.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CG does have an adjustment period for some people. However it's suggested that wavies use a low poo. So perhaps you just need to low poo every so often. There are many people on here who low poo and if you're wavy - it's still considered CG.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • Ape94Ape94 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have oily hair/skin and it took a couple of months before I could co-wash regularly without my hair feeling dirty and gross. And I still can't co-wash with just anything. Giovianni's TTTT is really the only conditioner I can co-wash with. I tried a handful of the Suave and VO5 conditioners as a co-wash, but after a couple of days, my hair would always be too oily and I'd have to wash it with a sulfate free shampoo.
  • alidanalidan Posts: 111Registered Users
    I tried to co-wash once and ended up with a wet head. My hair takes forever to dry and as a result my style was ruined and I ended up just wearing a bun to work. I think my hair has low porosity, so unless I go under the dryer co wash is a no go for me. :sad5:
    Rock your own style, dance to your own beat
    BC'ed on 12/19/09, transitioned 9 month 12 days and loving every Minute.
    Products LOVES:
    SheaMoisture CES, Ecostyle OO, Long Aid gel, castor, Olive & jojoba oil, Shea butter, V05 Strawberry, Cream Of Nature Argan Oil treatment, Crece Pelo, Silicon Mix, NuNATT, Karite masque.

Products lines I would love to try: Miss Jessie's, KBB , Qhemets and Hairveda.

http://public.fotki.com/Antiguancurlygirl
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

I use the cheap Suave Naturals conditioners for my co-wash. I probably only did it once or twice a week, and it was still unbearable. I have been modified CG for a few months now, so I wonder if co-washing it just isn't right for me. I only low-poo once or twice a week anyway.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hate cowashing. My hair gets just plain nasty.

Keep using a low poo if that's what works for you.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hate would be too strong a word.

But my hair does seem better if washed with shampoo at least once a week. I don't use a lot, and keep it toward the scalp, just let it run by the length as it's rinsed out, that's the way I've always washed it. It kept it healthy even when super long so doesn't seem damaging.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    somewhere i read that wavy hair (and your signature says 2b) might need to be low poo'd more often (maybe the curly girl book?). i think your hair is not as dry as curly hair.
    maybe try cowashing every other day. or, just low poo every day. as long as you are not using a sulfate, it should be okay.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users

but you still do it, right? i'm just asking b/c you have great hair, so i just want to make sure you actually get that hair by co-washing, you know what i mean? do you low-poo, too?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am not a fan either of cowashing. And because of that I have been shampooing (loo poo) for the past 3-4 months daily. I do not notice my hair looking worse because of my nasty habit. :lol:
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    *LC* wrote: »

but you still do it, right? i'm just asking b/c you have great hair, so i just want to make sure you actually get that hair by co-washing, you know what i mean? do you low-poo, too?

I use Giovanni 50:50 clarifying/hydrating low poo about once or twice a week depending on how my hair feels, weather, etc.

I tried cowashing for a long time, but my hair always stayed greasy and limp.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I don't co-wash. I water wash daily, with a weekly no-sulfate shampoo.

Personally, I'd try to 'wean' yourself off the shampoo by just reducing how often you shampoo, so your oily scalp starts to reduce the oil it throws out. I used to shampoo every other day before I started all this.
    Sarah.

Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    I'm definitely a fan of low-pooing. I tried the co-wash thing for many months changing up my products, rotating with low-pooing. My hair just looks healthy and more bouncy with defined curls when I low-poo. Right now, I'm low-pooing every day. But, I plan to start experimenting due to the change in weather with doing just a water wash/condish every other day then low-pooing on days I don't water wash/condish. I'll see how it goes.
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file