A question about henna

I'm about to try henna for the first time but I have a question:

I'm supposed to mix henna with something acidic, which of these is the least drying (of course if you have any alternatives outside those, do tell me):
-lemon juice
-apple cider vinegar
-white vinegar
-black tea

Note that I'm not hennaing for colour, mainly I want it as a treatment for my hair, so I don't want to end up with dry hair. So healthy hair comes in the first place for me then colour.

Thanks in advance :)
-3b, high porosity, medium/fine texture (I guess).
-CG-ing since 29/9/2008 (on and off)
-lifeless, limp curls that need all sorts of protein in the universe.

Comments

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have done many hennas and henna/cassia mixes, and my favorite way is just to use strong chamomile tea. Chamomile is very conditioning, and it makes rinsing nicer. I've used rooibos and regular teas with good results, too. Never tried acv, and lemon/lime were very drying to me...have fun!
  • CaladhielCaladhiel Posts: 134Registered Users
    Thank you, Curly Girl Fla :)

Chamomile! call me ignorant but I never knew that chamomile is acidic! :oops:
    Great, I'll try and get some, then.

One more question, please. Can I add some conditioner to the mix for more moisture? if yes when, before or after I let the hena sit in the bowel for a while to react (that is right before applying it to my hair)?
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's acidic enough :). Actually, lots of people only mix with water and still get the benefits and dye release. I've personally done glosses with pre-mixed, dye-released, frozen henna added to conditioner-if you're not after the color, adding the conditioner is great. I find the henna strengthening, but drying, so I always condition like a maniac afterwards. When I do a gloss, the moisture is much better...
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    And actually, in addition to what CG Fla said...

I DO use the henna for dye release, and it does just fine mixed with water and conditioner. *shrug* I think the acidic mixer might make the color even stronger, but it works just fine for me :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • CaladhielCaladhiel Posts: 134Registered Users
    Ok, I'll mix it with water and some conditioner only. If I liked the colour and I wanted more, I'll mix it with some chamomile tea next time.

Thank you so much Curly Girl Fla and MimsTX for your help :salut: :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file