color/highlights

april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
i am debating if i want to get highlights. in the past i have gone to carmen/carmen which is one of the top spas in my area. but it seems like highlights take away some of my texture and my hair becomes kinda wavy and stringy. can someone tell or direct me in the direction to acheive color or highlights that won't take away my curls.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,482
    This is a hard question.

Whenever I have gotten highlights I never noticed a texture change.

Ouidad, whom I have always gone to, claims that when they do highlights they paint the sections according to your curl pattern. I don't know if that matters or not.

Have you used a protein treatment after the highlights have set to see if you can get some bounce back?

I would recommend amla as many women have tried that and gotten a good result, but I don't know how light you are going and I wouldn't want it to stain.

Perhaps there are some stylists/colorists on board who can chime in.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
    i've never tried amla(looks kinda messy and scary), the only protein treatments i've gotten where from the stylist and i have no clue what she used. i actually thought that the highlights damaged my hair and she said no my hair was healthy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,482
    i've never tried amla(looks kinda messy and scary), the only protein treatments i've gotten where from the stylist and i have no clue what she used. i actually thought that the highlights damaged my hair and she said no my hair was healthy.

I would say any time you lift color you have the potential to damage. Perhaps your hair was ok.

This is speaking from my experiences with Ouidad and color.

Anywhere from 3-5 days before I get highlights I do a protein treatment. Usually Ouidad DT or I am sure another protein DT will suffice.

Then I wait until after the color has set, about 2 weeks and then I start doing bi-weekly protein DT's [alternating moisture DTs] etc...
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file