Let's Talk About......

butterflibutterfli Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Neophyte
skin care regime. While I was transitioning I noticed that my skin was breaking out. Not sure if it was the products I was using on my hair or my poor diet but I wasn't using any product on my face just washing with warm water. I started using proactive and it just got worst. Well anywho after I BC'ed I decided not to only take care of my hair, but my skin and my health. I began to eat healthy and increase my water in take. I also started using Queen Helen mint julep mask twice a week on my face. I have noticed a tremendous change with my skin and my weight. My skin is looking healthier and healthier. But I don't know what to do with the weather getting cooler now. For I have really dry skin in the winter.

So what I want to know is what will you all be doing to take care of your skin when the weather gets cooler and what is your skin care regime. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    I have really oily skin so my routine doesn't change between seasons. The main thing I do is wash my face 2-3 times daily making sure to get all my makeup off and exfoliate 2-3 times a week. I also make sure to moisturize. I know some oily skinned people do not think they have to moisturize their face, but my face feels so much better when I keep it hydrated.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    Hey butterfli, My skin definitely reacts differently based on which hair products I use in a particular week. I have tried a true products that i use with no issues but as soon as I experiment with a product whose first few ingredients contain coconut oil and/or shea butter, break out city for me.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • rosscdrosscd Registered Users Posts: 464
    Kr

Check out rinsesoap.com. They have a soap called tres clay soap and an oil called squaline oil that changed my skin forever. The products are reasonable and they are hand made by this lady named Heather. If you are interested in a sample, I can slice a piece of soap and send a little oil (which is my moisturizer). Let me know...
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
    rosscd wrote: »
    Kr

Check out rinsesoap.com. They have a soap called tres clay soap and an oil called squaline oil that changed my skin forever. The products are reasonable and they are hand made by this lady named Heather. If you are interested in a sample, I can slice a piece of soap and send a little oil (which is my moisturizer). Let me know...

Hey there, the soap, sounds like a winner. oil as a moisturizer? i'm scared!!! I suffer from adult acne and the thought of an any oil on my face makes me want to take off running. lol

I'm currently using Aviva Dead Sea facial scrub but it is running very low. For moisturizer I'm using Madina Black Seed Cream, which I love, but I wish it contained a sunscreen. I have an Ayurveda skin powder (can't remember which one) from Ekua that i've been too lazy to mix. I'm thinking about mixing enough for three days to try it out and see if it will hold up that long without drying out or going bad.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

• snappynappysnappynappy Registered Users Posts: 1,262
    Honestly i dont do anything to my face, and i have been told i have great skin, I get the occasional breakout, but that's about it. If i were to do anything i would be very minimal with slathering things on your face, and if at all make it be as natural a product as possible.
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
    Kr

I'm in LOVE:love7::love5::love4::love3:

The Tres Clay Facial Bar is the truth.

Thank you so much for the sample and the recommendation.

I've found my new facial cleanser.

Since using this cleanser for the past week and a half I have not have a breakout. Even after using the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp[/buylink] that contains Coconut Oil as a leave-in. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING that contain coconut oil makes my adult acne flair but Tres Clay Facial Bar truly kept it at bay.

I'm getting ready to place my order right now and refer the owner back to this thread for my testimonial. ;-).

Thanks rosscd.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG

• butterflibutterfli Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Neophyte
    Kr

Since using this cleanser for the past week and a half I have not have a breakout. Even after using the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp[/buylink] that contains Coconut Oil as a leave-in. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING that contain coconut oil makes my adult acne flair but Tres Clay Facial Bar truly kept it at bay.

I'm getting ready to place my order right now and refer the owner back to this thread for my testimonial. ;-).

Thanks rosscd.

I am going to definetely try that Tres Clay Facial Bar. Does it make your face feel dried out after? I have been looking for some all natural facial cleansers.

Rosscd, What else do you recommend from them?
  • rosscdrosscd Registered Users Posts: 464
    Kr

Thanks rosscd.

Yeah!!!! I am glad you like it. I am going to send Heather an email too; and make sure she knows rosscd is me.
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
  • newmenewme Registered Users Posts: 141
    I use dermologica for my face. I break out once per month at TOM but that would happen no matter what products I used. I used to use proactive but I found that it dried my face out horribly.
  • naturalnatnaturalnat Registered Users Posts: 124
    My facial care method isn't the most natural, but it works. I use CoCoa butter soap and a Biore astringent in the morning. At night, I just wash with the CoCoa butter soap.

Ambi has a facial mask that I love, but I haven't been able to find it lately.

When I started putting oils in my hair, I noticed my face breaking out so when I get home from work I put a hot rag to my face and just give it a good rinse. This seems to be working for me.

For facial cream... whatever I put on my body I put on my face. I don't break out except for that one time a month.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    I wash with Dr. bronners soap (or whatever I use for my body, which is usually diluted dr. bronners lavender or rose or sometimes CV rhassoul yogurt bar) and then apply the lotion/creme that I make with shea or cocobutter, distilled water, coconut oil, jojoba oil and veggie glycerine.
    That's it (oh and I use bare minerals veil to keep my face matte)

One thing I do on most days is exfoliate with my wash cloth (which is a nylon mesh cloth). My skin is SOOOO soft
    I don't break out at all
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    butterfli wrote: »
    I am going to definetely try that Tres Clay Facial Bar. Does it make your face feel dried out after? I have been looking for some all natural facial cleansers.

Rosscd, What else do you recommend from them?

Hey butterfli,

It doesn't leave my face dry at all and i have yet to put a moisturizer over it. I like to try a product on it's own initially to give a fair try.

The moisturizer that sher recommended to me was the Pure Bliss Squaline Oil for moisture but I was chicken due to my adult acne problem. lol
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG

• DBOO75115DBOO75115 Registered Users Posts: 119
    I do Oil Cleansing Method and I love it! I thought I had oily skin and then I started doing OCM and now I have no problems, i got rid of my blackheads too.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    For my face, I use the oil cleansing method - camellia oil, rose hip seed oil, castor oil and baobab oil in a 50/20/20/5% ratio. It's great. I cleanse my skin at night with Ponds Cleansing towelettes, then pat on some Cheryl's Herbs Moisturizing Skin Tonic. That's it.

For body, my favorite lotion is Organic Fiji Red currant. It's thick and I dilute it with water and add baobab oil to it.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    It was good reading all of the responses. But then it got me to thinking. :confused5: I'm either lucky or lazy. LOL

I don't do any of that. I wipe my face down with a warm wet facetowel every morning and that's it for the most part. About once a week I'll use an astringet to cleanse my afce because I have partially oily skin. I exfoliate about twice a month with the Wal-Mart brand cleanser. :dontknow: That's it. I'm pretty easy going.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Registered Users Posts: 2,149
    Kr

Hey there, the soap, sounds like a winner. oil as a moisturizer? i'm scared!!! I suffer from adult acne and the thought of an any oil on my face makes me want to take off running. lol

I'm currently using Aviva Dead Sea facial scrub but it is running very low. For moisturizer I'm using Madina Black Seed Cream, which I love, but I wish it contained a sunscreen. I have an Ayurveda skin powder (can't remember which one) from Ekua that i've been too lazy to mix. I'm thinking about mixing enough for three days to try it out and see if it will hold up that long without drying out or going bad.

Hey! I'm going to try the Dead Sea facial scrub. I am looking for an exfoliant. I tried a powder from Ekua's store too! I bet we got the same one. I've only tried it once, but it made my skin look a little brighter and it was so soft!! I freeze mine when I'm not using it and plan to thaw it out the day before I use it again. I'm going to try to use it 3 times a week. I leave it on for an hour during the weekend, 20 minutes during the weekday.:binky:

*I got the manjishta powder!
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Registered Users Posts: 128
    I use goat milk soap to cleanse and squalane oil to moisturize...

LT
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
  • sobecurlsobecurl Registered Users Posts: 313
    I use Origins on my face (cleanser, toner and moisturizer) and have for years so I'm not changing anything. I have oily skin, but I recently started using jojoba oil on my skin at night - just a pea sized amount - and I have had less breakouts since I started doing this.

When I'm lazy I'll use it alone after cleansing and sometimes I use it mixed with my moisturizer. In the morning my skin is so soft and less oily than when I use my moisturizer alone, so this will be a new staple in my routine.

ETA: oh...and I drink 2-3 liters of water a day and hot the gym every morning. Then after the gym I use the sauna for 20 minutes to open my pores. It's supposed to be really good for your skin but I use it more to relax my muscles.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
    I tried a powder from Ekua's store too! I bet we got the same one. I've only tried it once, but it made my skin look a little brighter and it was so soft!! I freeze mine when I'm not using it and plan to thaw it out the day before I use it again. I'm going to try to use it 3 times a week. I leave it on for an hour during the weekend, 20 minutes during the weekday.:binky:

*I got the manjishta powder!

Hey there, the one I got it Skin Life. Unfortunately, my lazy self has yet to mix it up and use it. I'm wonder if I can mix a little in a little glass jar and it will keep for a week so I can use is numerous times without having to re-mix. lol
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file