Best way to deal with canopy?

battahbattah Posts: 273Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've been having issues with my canopy lately. Obviously, it's in worse shape than the rest of my hair, but lately the curls have just been wonky. Really frazzled-looking, not as curly as they used to be, and generally really tired-looking. I assume it's because of color - I'm transitioning back to my natural color, light brown, after years of dyeing it black (I don't want to color anymore). My stylist has been doing it gradually to minimize the damage, but I knew my hair condition would take a hit for a while as the new, healthy stuff grew out.

The canopy is pretty bad, though. Any suggestions on how best to deal with it as it grows out? I'm back on the CG wagon and I have no doubt that that will help. Should I do weekly deep treatments? Oil it? Pretend it looks ok and just wait for it to grow out? Any styling suggestions to deal with a frazzled canopy?

Thanks!
Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

Claim to fame - Inventor of plopping when it was called "the towel trick"!!

Comments

• likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had serious issues with my canopy before I got my water softener. The hard water buildup was terrible! I don't know if this could be an issue for you, just thought I'd throw it out there. Aubrey Organics Swimmer's shampoo once a week helped a lot :)
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    likethegum wrote: »
    I had serious issues with my canopy before I got my water softener. The hard water buildup was terrible! I don't know if this could be an issue for you, just thought I'd throw it out there. Aubrey Organics Swimmer's shampoo once a week helped a lot :)

I suspect i have hard water. Is a lo poo a good remedy?
  • etripolietripoli Posts: 119Registered Users
    My canopy is really damaged from significant heat styling over the past couple of years (I had to get bangs just to remove the really fried parts).

I found that doing DTs every other day for over a month along with a weekly ACV rinse really helped. I only backed off to a weekly DT once my hair seemed to be getting over moisturized, although I think my hair could stand for two DTs a week on a recurring basis (I just don't have the time!).

I really think a shower filter would probably help too, but I can't speak from experience (I've been meaning to buy one).
    CG Since 5/23/09
    3a - High Porosity / Coarse Texture on Crown, Medium Texture Beneath
    CO Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Cond.
    Condition: Salon Care Honey Almond Cond.
    Gel: Biotera gel
    DT: Honey, conditioner, EVOO(1x/wk)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file