hair looks darker when curly

burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does anyone's hair look darker when curly? my hair is a dark auburn red. when its curly, it just looks slightly brown (compared to a burnette, it looks red, compared to blond or black hair, it looks brown). when i straighten it, it looks much brighter. is it the hair products i am using? my siggie is what i use.

is there anyway for my hair to look red when curly and not brown? (no dying)
para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
wash with Low Poo or Poo
condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
Play with ACV

Comments

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I don't think it could be the products you use.
    This happens to me as well. When I straightened it a while ago it was a much lighter brown and actually had a reddish tint in the sunlight. When it is curly it is a much deeper, darker brown.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, yes, yes. My hair looks so much lighter when straight. I thought it might just be my camera, but my MIL mentioned it this weekend when i starightened.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    is it crazy to assume that curly hair absorbs light while straight hair bounces light off? thats why straight hair looks lighter? just because of the way the light hits it? kinda like when your playing with a red laser light. if you put it on something solid, the red dot will appear. but if you point it at the sky, or something without a flat surface, you cant really see a round red dot?

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Could be. It does make sense.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    is it crazy to assume that curly hair absorbs light while straight hair bounces light off? thats why straight hair looks lighter? just because of the way the light hits it? kinda like when your playing with a red laser light. if you put it on something solid, the red dot will appear. but if you point it at the sky, or something without a flat surface, you cant really see a round red dot?

I think it's a combination of this and some of the products. There are some products that people mention that darken their hair--[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for one. Also, if you combine a hard hold gel with a medium hold gel--and don't distribute evenly--there are darker areas. Especially noticeable with blond hair!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • SurlycurlySurlycurly Posts: 156Registered Users
    I've noticed this too. When curly, my hair is a dark, cola brown. When straightened, it's a lighter brown color, with even lighter parts throughout.
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Not crazy at all. Straight hair is a flatter surface and light reflects off it better. Think wood versus metal. Some products will enhance the effect even more but in general, curly hair doesn't shine like straight hair because it isn't as smooth and therefore absorbs more light.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair looks much less gray when it is curly.
  • battahbattah Posts: 273Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would think moisture would have something to do with it, too. When we style our hair curly we generally use more product, and the hair is more relaxed and moisturized, thus looking darker (like how your hair always looks darker when it's wet). When it's straight it's always a bit drier, and I know I use less product to straighten my hair than I do to style it curly.

So I guess what I'm getting at is the density - all the moisture and curl products make the hair appear denser, letting less light through, and thus looking darker?
    Trying to figure out porosity - medium to low, I think? Medium texture, rapidly greying, and free of dye/relaxers since 2010. 

Claim to fame - Inventor of plopping when it was called "the towel trick"!!

• blubutterfly04blubutterfly04 Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair looks darker as well. It was more noticeable when I was blonde so when I would straighten my hair it was super blonde, I felt like a different girl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 9-1-09, Modified CG 1/10.3a/3b mix
    Low Porosity
    No Co-Washing, Using Mild Shampoos, Lo-poos: Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Moisture Shampoo, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    Low-poo/Clarifiers: ACV rinses
    Leave in's: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
    DT's: Coconut Oil, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque,
    Stylers: AG:recoil, LA Looks Mega Hold Gel,
    ** Air dry ONLY, I love plopping!**
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Posts: 1,024Registered Users
    It's because the way the hair twists, it cast shadows over exposed hair.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    How funny..I've gotten comments from my coworkers that my hair looks much darker now that it is allowed to do its curly thing!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file