CurlTalk

bloating & abdominal discomfort - UPDATE #2

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
i posted here about having bloating & abdominal pain especially after eating some foods. i did go to a gastro doctor who asked lots of questions but said he didn't think it was anything but he pressed on my stomach and felt "fullness". i hadn't eaten that much so i don't know why he felt fullness but i have that feeling often. i try to really watch my diet, i exercise a lot. i'm nervous. dr. oz said on his show today that bloating and abdominal discomfort are one of the 5 warning signs of cancers.

i'm going fri for an upper gi test and an abdominal ultrasound. i think i'm jut freaking because there have been several cancer deaths, my grandmother died from colon cancer 4 years ago, my grandfather had been a long time smoker that had lung cancer that metasticisized to his brain died last dec. my aunt had bladder cancer that metasticized to her liver died last week. my close girlfriends mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer 2 weeks ago after surviving breast cancer from 3 years ago.

i'm just nervous. i'm rambling....
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• TheSunshineStateTheSunshineState Posts: 152Registered Users
    Wishing you the best of luck.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. ((hugs))
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    Just curious, did the gastro doctor test you for celiac disease? Its very common (1 in 100 diagnosed) and can be easily treated with a gluten free diet.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi luvmylocs, I'm so sorry you are going through this anxiety. If it helps at all, there are many reasons you could be having this problem and most of them are easily treated.

You don't sound like you have a lifestyle that predisposes you to stomach cancer (smoking does and very poor diet with no fruits or vegs.). I'll be thinking of you Friday and wishing you the very, very best. Please let us know how you are feeling and what the dr. advises.

Sending prayers and the best vibes your way....
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Could be simply IBS or lactose intolerance. Don't worry yet. Praying for you...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts and hope it's nothing serious!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    mdrb wrote: »
    Just curious, did the gastro doctor test you for celiac disease? Its very common (1 in 100 diagnosed) and can be easily treated with a gluten free diet.

That's what I was thinking. My neighbor is the picture of health and that's what she was diagnosed with also.

I hope it's nothing serious. I'll be thinking of you, S.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    (((hugs))) S~
    You know we're here for you!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    where is the discomfort exactly? upper or lower? right or left? all over? is it sharp or dull achy?
    and this is personal, but are you regular?

I had my gallbladder taken out a few years ago because I'd get horrible stomach aches after eating, bloating discomfort etc. Did they check your gallbladder at all? Typically, it's felt in the upper right quadrant though in my case the pain was more centrally located in the upper part of my abdomen and would shoot through to my back. An u/s confirmed stones, the did the surgery a week later.

Best wishes, thinking of you
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs722.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww223%2Fmamacurl7%2F" class="Popup
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fkatiebutton.rovia.com%2F" class="Popup
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Could be simply IBS or lactose intolerance. Don't worry yet. Praying for you...

This is what I'm thinking. I went through a bout of IBS when I found out that I was lactose-intolerant at 34. If I ate something, I wouldn't be able to button my pants. My waistline would expand a good 3-4 inches. Now, I watch what I eat --- I saw a nutritionist -- and take probiotics. I rarely have those issues now. But I'm still lactose intolerant.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    Have you been tested for food allergies at all? Good luck to you. Hopefully its nothing serious!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    big thanks everyone!! i appreciate all the positive energy and advice.

i AM lactose intolerant. i know that and i pretty much have eliminated dairy or if i have a little i know the consequences and i sort of deal with that.

this is more concerning because it is happening even without me eating dairy.

i've never been tested for ibs. i didn't think i had it but i don't know. i don't have issues with my bowels. i'm VERY regular. once or twice a day. i drink lots of water and eat 1-2 pieces of fruit a day and try to get in a decent, although probably not high enough, amount of fiber. so things move along nicely. i do notice when i have a lot of sweets or rich food my stomach hurts so i've backed off that completely. spicy foods and/or alcohol don't bother me so i feel like that's a good sign.

with celiac disease would things like rice or bread upset my stomach? they do not. i eat a lot of asian food which i love. i also drink beer without bloating or gastro distress. i've not been tested for celiac disease. what type of test is it (i.e. blood, etc)?

i thought about gall bladder but knowing where it is and the symptoms i didn't think it was that. i haven't had any sharp pains or anything. i don't eat a lot of the foods that would trigger a gall bladder to be inflammed.

my chief complaint is bloating and what feels like a distended stomach. i don't really feel nausea although a few weeks ago before i got into the dr. i was but i've really tried to watch everything i eat and mostly eat the foods i know don't cause any problems. it just seems like for as much as i work out my stomach shouldn't be so swollen/bloated and it's not always been like that.

i also know that if/when i'm stressed i feel it in my stomach...i always have. i don't know if my stomach is maybe upset because i've had some stresses going on.

anyway i appreciate all the insight from everyone.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    lots of positive thoughts being sent your way ((((hugs))))
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I hope you get that sorted out, lml. I would think cancer would be low on the list, you're so healthy in your lifestyle, both mind and body. Of course it can never be ruled out completely, but I would think the odds are very low for you.

Since you mentioned your lactose intolerance, I wanted to let you know about a new product that really helped me. Even when I tried to avoid dairy, it still was *everywhere* and I would get sick anyway. I tried this stuff and it's been fabulous. It's nice because you just take it daily [instead of taking it when you eat dairy, like with Lactaid]. It's a probiotic.

BTW, it's not that I think your problem is LI, obviously you've eliminated dairy from your diet. But if in resolving this current issue you end up having to eliminate another food category, being able to bring dairy back might be a huge help.

Anyway, thought it worth mentioning. I hope you resolve this issue soon, it seems like you're doing all the right things!
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I hope you get that sorted out, lml. I would think cancer would be low on the list, you're so healthy in your lifestyle, both mind and body. Of course it can never be ruled out completely, but I would think the odds are very low for you.

Since you mentioned your lactose intolerance, I wanted to let you know about a new product that really helped me. Even when I tried to avoid dairy, it still was *everywhere* and I would get sick anyway. I tried this stuff and it's been fabulous. It's nice because you just take it daily [instead of taking it when you eat dairy, like with Lactaid]. It's a probiotic.

BTW, it's not that I think your problem is LI, obviously you've eliminated dairy from your diet. But if in resolving this current issue you end up having to eliminate another food category, being able to bring dairy back might be a huge help.

Anyway, thought it worth mentioning. I hope you resolve this issue soon, it seems like you're doing all the right things!

thanks for the info wild~hair. i should have added that i take a probiotic. i switch up between a liquid acidophilus and the jarrow "dry" probiotic. i'll look at the one you mentioned though.

i have also started consuming (again) a daily fiber (mostly psyllium husks) in unsweetened cranberry juice and water. actually i am feeling better but still wanted to get tested for the stomach seeming swollen. i know right now i'm stressed and that has to be part of it.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    I hope it's nothing or, at the very least, something very treatable. There are so many things that can cause a bloated feeling, including fiber. Hubby has recurring diverticulitis, which makes him bloated. The fiber he has to take makes the bloating worse but it's better than diverticulitis.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'm sorry, LML. I hope you get good news. I had lots of stomach issues last year combined with weight loss, so I know how scary it is. I had seemingly every gastro/bowel test done before the doctor concluded I had IBS and was losing weight due to breast feeding. Hopefully, you will get equally re-assuring news.

Good luck!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I, too, hope you get some good news and relief! My mom's doctor suggested she try Align, it's an OTC. Mom swears by it and noticed that she's down 7 lbs.
    2b/3a.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    I'm sorry, LML. I hope you get good news. I had lots of stomach issues last year combined with weight loss, so I know how scary it is.

Good luck!

Same here, I had to go the ER once because of breathing problems/fainting. I was having very bad gerd/reflux which caused my heart rate to go up a lot and nearly faint.

I'm not sure what I had, but something caused me to be constipated for a while and make me sensitive to the common problem foods. I had signs of lactose and gluten intolerance. I got a test for celiacs but I didn't have it. I was on a very plain fruit and veggie diet(couldn't digest proteins or fat) for a while. It lasted about 2 months and I slowly started introducing normal food back and I've been fine since. I'm worried now though if my pooping is just a little off since it was around the same time last year this happened. I have no idea what triggered it. I just try eat healthier in general now.
    i'm so hoping that it is something that can be cured with diet modifications and consistent use of probiotics.

how do they test for celiac disease?
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    I found this link, but you might want to do more research, or maybe one of the curlies will have better info.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your appointment goes smoothly and it's nothing really serious. :)
    I found this link, but you might want to do more research, or maybe one of the curlies will have better info.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your appointment goes smoothly and it's nothing really serious. :)

thanks utopiastars! that actually was very helpful. i'm going to call my dr. and see if that is included in my testing friday. thanks girl!
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

I got those tests run along with a bunch of other tests. The only thing they found was that I had a vitamin D deficiency. I never did the stool tests since they didn't think it was bacterial or viral infection. My first GI doctor however did absolutely think I needed to have a colonscopy! (which I never got or needed)
    luvmylocs wrote: »

with celiac disease would things like rice or bread upset my stomach? they do not. i eat a lot of asian food which i love. i also drink beer without bloating or gastro distress. i've not been tested for celiac disease. what type of test is it (i.e. blood, etc)?

Symptoms of CD vary a lot from person to person, a lot of people don't even know they have it until it results in some kind of complication from going untreated. For me, I became lactose intolerant (which can be a symptom of CD) as well as having a lot of bloating and nausea after I ate. Some people have problems with their bowels, others just notice that they get sick with cold/flus all the time. Because the symptoms vary so much CD is really under diagnosed. Diagnosis usually comes when a patient initiates questions and asks for tests. Usually they start with a blood test, if the blood test shows anything they might want to do an endoscopy. I encourage everyone to get tested because its so common but so often misdiagnosed.
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    I have Celiac and thats the exact symptom. I had NO symptoms before I was tested, my mom, aunt, uncle, and cousin have all been diagnosed. After I was diagnosed and cut wheat/gluton out of my diet I noticed a HUGE difference. Its like I couldnt tell that I had symptoms until I knew what feeling good felt like.

The first test was a simple blood draw, then they did a full endoscopy looking for inflamation in the small intestine (which is pretty much all Celiac is, the small intestine gets infected and stops obsorbing nutrients) I have more info if you want it.

Just to add a bit more, I was always lactose intolerant too, it VERY common to have both....
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

Yep me too. A gluten free diet has made a huge difference for me, I rarely get sick and have much more energy than I used to. :hello1:
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    If there's colon cancer in your family history you may want to go for a colonoscopy. But it sounds like a dietary thing.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    thanks for all the info on cd!! do you all that have it just do a gluten free diet or do you also have to take medicine? did you notice any weight loss after you were diagnosed and made dietary changes? the reason i'm asking is again because for the amount that i exercise and the way that i eat, it seems like there's some extra "weight" bloating around my stomach that i want to shed that just seems stuck.

thanks sbb. my grandmother died of colon cancer but had a LONG history of digestive issues that she ignored. i mentioned it to my doctor but he didn't seem overly concerned. i'll mention it again though when we meet to discuss the results of the tests i'm having fri.

thanks again for everyone sharing their information and stories.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    my grandmother died of colon cancer but had a LONG history of digestive issues that she ignored
    Not to guano too much, but could you please elaborate on what her GI issues were? TIA
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    thanks for all the info on cd!! do you all that have it just do a gluten free diet or do you also have to take medicine? did you notice any weight loss after you were diagnosed and made dietary changes? the reason i'm asking is again because for the amount that i exercise and the way that i eat, it seems like there's some extra "weight" bloating around my stomach that i want to shed that just seems stuck.

thanks sbb. my grandmother died of colon cancer but had a LONG history of digestive issues that she ignored. i mentioned it to my doctor but he didn't seem overly concerned. i'll mention it again though when we meet to discuss the results of the tests i'm having fri.

thanks again for everyone sharing their information and stories.
    The usually don't recomment the colonscopy until 45-50, then then once ever 5-10 years (which I think is ridiculous), but with your history I would pursue it. It's a pricey procedure.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.