What to do?

SemiramisSemiramis Registered Users Posts: 1

OK, so last time I got a relaxer was in late May and so far I have a little over an inch of new growth. I really wish that it would continue to grow a little faster. But so far, I've been getting through this whole transitioning thing without the need or want to return to my old ways.

One issue is that I've noticed that my hair gets tangled starting at where the processed hair and natural hair meet. This is killing me. I just hate it cause it takes time out of my day to detangle, but with a little elbow grease and some leave in conditioner, I'm surviving.

Another issue I'm having is that my new growth in front and around the edges feels hard and dry. No matter what I do, it just won't soften and it doesn't feel nice. I think I am a 4a/3c ... does anyone have any products ... something I can get at a drug store or beauty supply store would be a blessing, but if I must reach to order from the net, I have no problems with that.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :D
Starting Transition!
Last Relaxer: May 27, 2006
Hair Type: ?
Goal: To take it one day at a time... for healthy hair and accept what nature gave me.

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Semiramis wrote:

OK, so last time I got a relaxer was in late May and so far I have a little over an inch of new growth. I really wish that it would continue to grow a little faster. But so far, I've been getting through this whole transitioning thing without the need or want to return to my old ways.

One issue is that I've noticed that my hair gets tangled starting at where the processed hair and natural hair meet. This is killing me. I just hate it cause it takes time out of my day to detangle, but with a little elbow grease and some leave in conditioner, I'm surviving.

Another issue I'm having is that my new growth in front and around the edges feels hard and dry. No matter what I do, it just won't soften and it doesn't feel nice. I think I am a 4a/3c ... does anyone have any products ... something I can get at a drug store or beauty supply store would be a blessing, but if I must reach to order from the net, I have no problems with that.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :D

Semiramis,
    I went through a transition period, from 3C texturized to 4A the real me :) So it wasn't all that radical but I did have to watch out for those rough areas. Moisture is the key.

Combing in the shower with a good "slip" conditioner and a wide toothed comb is good - I like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink] (very moisturizing). I alternate with Curl Junkie Healthy Condition. The Curl Junkie products give my hair a nice elasticity when wet, & that might be good for transitioning hair that has 2 textures. I put oil in my conditioners, too (pure coconut or castor oil). This leaves my hair moisturized, clean with well defined texture even before applying styling product, and not greasy at all.

In terms of the edges, a pomade or a glaze smoothed or brushed in? You can also scarf the hairline to smooth it down. Currently I use Curls Euphoria Elixir which is a pomade that smells heavenly, like pina colada. It softens and detangles my dry hair. There are other posts on Curls goddess glaze being effective, but I haven't used it. I bet you will get other great suggestons, too. Have fun with your hair and new growth.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • drineybeardrineybear Registered Users Posts: 27
    hi semiramis,

i'm also transitioning (at about 4 months post relaxer now). like karenmc3 said, the key is to comb when your hair is wet. to detangle i use kids organic shea butter. you can get this at your local beauty supply store (bss). it's in a liquid form and makes my hair so easy to detangle after i wash it or if i wet it before slicking it back in a ponytail.

when my hair is dry i try not to comb it as much. i do brush it if i want to wrap it at night with a fake me out denman type brush :-). when i notice that my hair (new growth part) is really dry, i oil my scalp with wild hair growth, a product you can also find at your local bss. it doesn't have the best smell, but it makes your hair so soft and manageable. when i don't feel like going through the hassle of oiling my scalp i use jane carters nourish and shine (available at whole foods). it looks thick but when you rub it together in your hands it kind of liquifies and a little goes a long way and it smells better than the wild hair growth.

i hope all of this helps!
    Last Relaxer - April 2006
    Hair Type - 4a (so far from what I can see)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file