Wearing my hair 2 work

MissCartersCoilsMissCartersCoils Registered Users Posts: 57
What do u say 2 the boss/company that thinks or says that your hair is unprofessional while u r tryna confidently rock ur twa they beat u down. As a result I have been wearing half wigs and quick weave to "hide" my hair... what should I do? i need my job but dont want 2 b robbed of my right to be natural. Also dont want to cause friction with the boss since a promotion is in the making. however I feel like a frickin prisoner whenever i cover up my natural hair... Suggestions please...
Last Relaxer- 10/2008:confused5:

Decided to go Natural 05/2009 after wearing braids due to damage:angry1:

BC- 06/2009:headbang:

Products For Now:sign9:

Co Wash: V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit

Leave In: TIGI Moisture Maniac

Deep Cond: Elasta QP DPR11(not so much n e more)

Styling: Eco Styler w/ Olive Oil, Smooth n Shine Curl Activator Gel w/Aloe,KCCC, MiraCurl Curling Gelly

-I am turning into a PJ @ least until I find my staples
http://twitter.com/MsCartersCoils

Comments

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    What do u say 2 the boss/company that thinks or says that your hair is unprofessional while u r tryna confidently rock ur twa they beat u down. As a result I have been wearing half wigs and quick weave to "hide" my hair... what should I do? i need my job but dont want 2 b robbed of my right to be natural. Also dont want to cause friction with the boss since a promotion is in the making. however I feel like a frickin prisoner whenever i cover up my natural hair... Suggestions please...

Read your company's dress policy. Most will just say, your hair must be "neat" and a tidy TWA is VERY neat and professional in my book. :)
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    Are there things being said directly to you are are you worried about the possibility of something being said to you in the future?
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • MissCartersCoilsMissCartersCoils Registered Users Posts: 57
    Well, my boss asked me when i did my bc and came to work y i didn't comb my hair that day and that i should present myself more professional. I have never been reprimanded on my dress or anything for that manner at work and I was very offended...

Styling: Eco Styler w/ Olive Oil, Smooth n Shine Curl Activator Gel w/Aloe,KCCC, MiraCurl Curling Gelly

Sadly, this sounds like something that has been faced by members on other boards working for AA managers.

Keep your twa neat. Put on some makeup and some cute earrings, keep your head up, and wear your twa with confidence.

Log every negative comment in case you need to build a case of discrimination.

There is nothing unprofessional abut a twa and confidence is what it is all about.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    Sadly, this sounds like something that has been faced by members on ohther boards working for aa managers.

Keep your twa neat. Put on some makeup and some cute earrings, keep your head up, and wear your twa with confidence.

There is nothing unprofessional abut a twa and confidence is what it is all about.

THIS and give as much detail as possible, date and time are essential. But if you can get who was there, what you were doing/context is even better.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Registered Users Posts: 418
    Well, my boss asked me when i did my bc and came to work y i didn't comb my hair that day and that i should present myself more professional. I have never been reprimanded on my dress or anything for that manner at work and I was very offended...

Is your boss black? You need to document every date and time something is said about your hair. And if this person is ignorant enough to put in writing hold on to it for dear life.
    I agree with logging dates and times, I should have been more specific. Sorry. That's what I meant when I said log every comment.

Many of us here work in professional positions and have held these positions while transitioning and obtained promotions and outside positions post BC so don't you let this person discourage you.

Stand your ground and let them know that your hair is neat and professional and that you will go to HR if they harass you in any way if it comes to the point where you have to defend yourself orally.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG

• msjaimmsjaim Registered Users Posts: 948
    def continue to document everything that was said to u & be ready to contact HR & EEOC if needed... I dare a MFka to tell me I cant wear my hair the way it grows out of my scalp. It seems like things have become an issue of a personal esthetic preferences v/s what is or isnt professional. ppl seem to be getting that ish confused.
  • Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Registered Users Posts: 485
    ITA with everyone else! Sounds like discrimination.

At my previous job, I got compliments on my hair. It was only two black women in my department including myself.
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
    Products in rotation (too many!):
    Shampoo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Giovanni Tea Tree
    Condish - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Trader Joe Nourish Spa
    Leave in - Sheamoisture Curl Milk, KCNT, Giovanni Direct
    Deep Treatment - Apoghee Two Step Protein Treatment, Giovanni Nutrafix
    Moisturizers - Carefree Curl Gold Spray
    Stylers - Sheamoisture Curl Smoothie
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    i would ask my boss for an explanation. are they really trying to say that your hair is looking unprofessional, or that they dont like ur hair. i'm sure you do ur hair and im sure it befits ur job. why would u go to work looking like a mess, u know? so maybe your boss just doesnt like ur hair and is commenting on how it is unprofessional in order to avoid sounding like discrimination. but it does sound like discrimination IMO as well.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • justicefighter1913justicefighter1913 Registered Users Posts: 253
    Sadly, this sounds like something that has been faced by members on other boards working for AA managers.

This is great information. Make sure that you keep the log and also consult the dress code policy.

If things get worse, you can always make a complaint to HR and/or file a complaint with your local civil rights commission....trust me, they see stuff like this all the time.

Continue to keep a positive attitude and hold your head up high:thumbleft:!
    Hair goals: 1) healthy hair 2) BSL by 12/10:viking:
    Recovering from a "scissor happy stylist "setback:tongue2:
    My Fotki: A work in progress:clock:
    thanks a lot 2 all my naptural sistas 4 helping me with this. I recently read my employee handbook again and had a one on one with my boss and his boss as well. In a nut shell i had to let them know that this is how my hair grows out of my scalp it was given to me by God, this is who I am and like it or not i will be like this 2moro! So, they apologized because they didn't know how this made me feel and said my courage and yadda yadda yadda was what they were looking 4 n a leader! I couldn't have done it without u ladys here!

Deuces!:brushteeth:

:hello1::headbang:

You go girl!!!

I am proud of you!!!
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG

• pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    Great job standing up for yourself!
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • ankerr87ankerr87 Registered Users Posts: 10
    Big Ups!! Just can't believe it's still happening.

I do love this website!! It's nice having people of all walks of life on here!
  • msjaimmsjaim Registered Users Posts: 948
    thanks a lot 2 all my naptural sistas 4 helping me with this. I recently read my employee handbook again and had a one on one with my boss and his boss as well. In a nut shell i had to let them know that this is how my hair grows out of my scalp it was given to me by God, this is who I am and like it or not i will be like this 2moro! So, they apologized because they didn't know how this made me feel and said my courage and yadda yadda yadda was what they were looking 4 n a leader! I couldn't have done it without u ladys here!

Im so glad u did this
    Thanks Yall!

• msmchymsmchy Registered Users Posts: 40
    I know it sounds stupid, but alot of non-blacks have no idea what our natural texture looks like and when they finally see it, they wind up saying something ignorant whether they realize it or not. My hubby who has only seen me in straight or curly weaves and my relaxed hair asked me, "Isn't that your natural hair?" after I told him I was transitioning. He knew I relaxed my hair, but again, the only "natural" hairstyle he'd ever seen is the iconic huge fro'. I'm so glad you talked to mgmt instead of stifling it and comforming like so many have done in the past. Rock on!
  • cayisha_azulcayisha_azul Registered Users Posts: 234
    :hello1::headbang:

You go girl!!!

I am proud of you!!!
    +1 - I'm proud of you girl. Sometimes people are just ignorant and need some information. I hope everything goes well with your promotion.
    Current Regimen: I am doing protective styles for the winter. Two Strand Twists and Twist Outs. Wet hair in the middle of winter is not cute.
    Favorite Products: Komaza Care Coconut Line, Kinky Curly Line, and Africare 100% Glycerin
    Never Again: Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, Garnier Fructis, Hot Oil Treatments
    Hair Type: Texture-Spongy, Strand Size-Medium, Curl Pattern-I in the front, O in the middle, and S in the back. 4a
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    The Director of Human Resources for my division rocks a TWA and looks fabulous. Your boss needs to get out of the stone age....and yes, there is black on black discrimination. As another poster suggested, make sure you are conforming to the employee handbook policies, and document everything. Have a friend,colleague, or another manager -- or all three- whose style opinion you trust give you a critique of your professional style profile.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • anonymous_24411anonymous_24411 Registered Users Posts: 12

i suggest speaking to someone in hr. as long as you're not rocking a pink mohawk, your hair should not be up for discussion. if you must, speak to a lawyer. they are discriminating against you.
  • anonymous_24411anonymous_24411 Registered Users Posts: 12

oops! you go girl i'm happy that you were able to resolve that in a professional and abrupt manner.
  • mwedzimwedzi Registered Users Posts: 86
    wow, thank you for sharing this story with us. I am so glad it worked out so well, and kudos to you for how you handled it. :salut:
  • justicefighter1913justicefighter1913 Registered Users Posts: 253
    Yeah!!!!! Congraulations!!! Way to quash that situation before it got out of control.
    Hair goals: 1) healthy hair 2) BSL by 12/10:viking:
    Recovering from a "scissor happy stylist "setback:tongue2:
    My Fotki: A work in progress:clock:
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    i know i'm late to the party but YAY!!!!:blob5:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file