How quickly does hair grow on average?

GottaLoveCurlyGottaLoveCurly Posts: 56Registered Users
I want my hair to grow at least two inches (5 cm) by April. Is that possible? How quickly does hair grow on average? The internet told me it grows 1.25 cm per month. I don't want to wait that long!
How quickly does your hair grow??
Embracing my curls!
Type of Hair: 2b/3a
Conditioner: GF Triple Nutrition / HETS Conditioner
Mousse: HETT Mousse
Gel: GF Curl Enhancing Gel
Extra: Aloe, Aveno and Honey!! :D

Current hair length: Just past shoulder length!
Goal: To have beautiful BSL hair!:love4:

event.png

event.png

Comments

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I want my hair to grow at least two inches (5 cm) by April. Is that possible? How quickly does hair grow on average? The internet told me it grows 1.25 cm per month. I don't want to wait that long!
    How quickly does your hair grow??

Girl, if your hair didn't grow at least 3 inches by then there is something seriously wrong with your insides! :toothy7:

Just kidding, :sunny: but they say hair grows a minimum of 1/2" per month to as much as 1" per month.

Then weather and exercise play a part. Warm/hot weather make hair grow faster. Exercise appears to have a similar effect.

Then you know about nutrition and then there are some supplements that you can take to lengthen the hair's growth phase {so that it doesn't go into the resting and shedding phase} and other supplements to boost growth.

I think I personally fall into the range of 1/2" to an 1" a month, but my downfall is breakage. So I am growing but not retaining.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hair grows 1/2" per month on average. Along with the growth, protecting your hair will help a person see the full results of the growth (not wearing it in styles that pull the roots tightly or damage the ends).
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • carberrycarberry Posts: 74Registered Users
    well it depends . it can grow anywhere from 1/8" a month to 1 1/2" a month .. maybe even more or less . it all depends on the person . just measure your hair every month and you should get an idea of how much it grows once a month on average . if you take hair pills , such as gnc ultra nourish-hair , it can help your hair grow . it might not make it grow faster , but it will help retain length and help your hair grow its fastest ! :)

my hair usually grows an inch a month , and sometimes 3/4 a month during school because of lack of sleep :(
    2a/f/miii/normal porosity
    wavy, hip length, very thick
    hair length journey:
    december '08 12 inches long, shoulder
    june '12 31 inches long, hip
    summer 2012 goal: in between hip and tailbone
    Ultimate goal: tailbone or or maybe classic length
    my hair loves henna !

:love5:

event.png

• IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair grows on the average of 1/4 to 1/2 inch a month.
    Somewhere I read that in warmer climates hair grows at a faster rate but I am unable to find where I read that.

I measure my hair growth by the grey roots on top of my head! Which I call the skunk line. In 4 weeks it's about 3/4 of an inch.

Since I am happy with the length I have I wish it to grow verrrry slowly so I don't have to dye the roots so often!!!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    carberry wrote: »
    well it depends . it can grow anywhere from 1/4" a month to 1 1/2" a month .. maybe even more or less . it all depends on the person . just measure your hair every month and you should get an idea of how much it grows once a month on average . if you take hair pills , such as gnc ultra nourish-hair , it can help your hair grow . it might not make it grow faster , but it will help retain length and help your hair grow its fastest ! :)

I need to figure out what these people are doing! :p
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
    My hair usually grows about 1/2 a month (i'm able to measure it by the grow out of my hair color)..but I have breakage as well which is i think mostly from getting my hair flat-ironed.

I've been taking MSM 2x a day, have yet to try Biotin, and I just started back taking B Complex so we'll see how that works.
    http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!:tshirt:
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I think it really depends- I used to think there was something really wrong with me because I wasn't making the "average" of an inch a month. All the women I know (including myself) would DIE to get an inch a month, I really don't know anyone who gets that much unless they're on the internet LOL.

For me, I average about 1/4 of a standard inch or a little less a month despite treatments, growth aids, exercising, diets, you name it, it has absolutely no effect whatsoever. I also notice that my hair seems to grow faster in the winter. So I'm a whole bundle of opposites according to what others are guessing at about hair growth.

Really, it's going to depend on you. I wanted to show you that something is average because some people will be more and others less, and it's all up to what's normal for you. I'd say that in your case, it could be possible. Most important thing for you to do is take care of your ends, so that whenever you do get growth, you don't end up knocking it back down by the damage that will happen to your ends. Perhaps looking into more protective styling will help (it certainly helps my fragile hair!)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• carberrycarberry Posts: 74Registered Users
    carberry wrote: »
    well it depends . it can grow anywhere from 1/4" a month to 1 1/2" a month .. maybe even more or less . it all depends on the person . just measure your hair every month and you should get an idea of how much it grows once a month on average . if you take hair pills , such as gnc ultra nourish-hair , it can help your hair grow . it might not make it grow faster , but it will help retain length and help your hair grow its fastest ! :)

I need to figure out what these people are doing! :p

hehe i know it's all genetics i guess :)
    2a/f/miii/normal porosity
    wavy, hip length, very thick
    hair length journey:
    december '08 12 inches long, shoulder
    june '12 31 inches long, hip
    summer 2012 goal: in between hip and tailbone
    Ultimate goal: tailbone or or maybe classic length
    my hair loves henna !

:love5:

event.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I usually get a full inch per month.
  • crazygirlslovecurlscrazygirlslovecurls Posts: 19Registered Users
    my hair grows uber fast. i cut so the ends just brushed my shoulders and less than a month and a half later it is down to just an inch before my bra strap. (both of these are mesured when wet.) but my cousins hair barely grows at all. go figure. so yeah she's right it really does just depend on you.
  • SuccinctSuccinct Posts: 34Registered Users
    Everyone's hair grows a lil different. In the past while I was doing martial arts and working out and eating right I was getting over an inch per month. But once my metabolism slowed down and my eating habits went *capooot* my hair growth wasn't as rapid as before.

I would agree with the concensus here that it's going to max out at about 1" to 1.25" per month.

Biotin and MSM are great aides... as well as prenatal vitamins...
    Hair Type: Very Fine 4a
    CoWash: VO5
    Fav Product: HEHH
    Hair Oil: Jaloma Coconut/Olive/Castor Oil Mix.
    DC: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle
    Last Relaxer: August 15, 2009.
    BC: October 1, 2009

Currently: Rocking my TWA...4" and growing.
  • dmiller311dmiller311 Posts: 122Registered Users
    The Bargello Vitamin Regimen gets a lot of acclaim for hair growth. I recently started doing it and have seen a good amount of growth.

Consists of
    : Daily Consumption of the following vitamins

-5mg of Biotin
    -A woman's multivitamin
    -Calcium
    -GNC's Ultra Nourishair
    -1000 mg of MSM
    -Silica
    -Flaxseed Oil Capsule

So far I'm pleased. I wasn't sure how fast my hair grew before but its been growing quite nicely.
    3c with some 3b in there
    Current Faves:
    Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In
    Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
    HE none of your frizzies
    Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel
    Diez en Uno Super Conditioner

http://www.crownnglory.blogspot.com/

comic-p.jpg

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    3/4"-1" is above average growth. Most people get about 1/2" per month.
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Posts: 457Registered Users
    my hair grows about .62 inches a month. with exercise and proper diet it could easily grow 1" a month.
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file