How long from TWA to Pony-Puff

newmenewme Registered Users Posts: 141
I did my bc in December 2008. At the time my twa was approximately 3 1/2 inches. I'm wondering when I can realistically expect to be able to pull my hair back in a puff. Not a headband, fake-out puff (which I do quite frequently) but a real pony-puff. I know that hair grows on average 1/2 inch per month but I'm just wondering how long it took some of you ladies to go from a twa to a puff. Thanks.

Comments

• april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
    it really depends 1st of all can you do a wet bun or ponytail? looking at my hair when i wear it out it looks like i could never make a ponytail, but when i co-wash sometimes i pull it back when it's wet, and i get nice full ponytail and it stays that way after it dries. i had my hair layered/devacut in april and i couldn't make a ponytail at all, so that's almost 5 months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Everyones view on a pony/puff is different I guess. My hair is so thick when its loose and dry a REAL ponytail is not happening for me . so I make a puff and when its wet it shrinks to my head about 1 inch.... I try not to manipulate my hair wet so I never tried it soaking wet.

My head is super huge and my hair grows out and not down , I made a puff in the middle of my first year and Im in the middle of my second year natural. My hair is 6-9inches
  • newmenewme Registered Users Posts: 141
    This doesn't bode well for me. I'm 9 months into my natural journey and I can't make a puff wet or dry. At the rate I'm going, it'll be 18 months in and maybe, just maybe the sides will be long enough to include in the puff.:angry2:
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    I also did my big chop in Dec 2008 (but with something like 2 inches) and I have been wondering the same thing. I'm hoping I will be able to do one by next June, which will make two years after my last relaxer. I think that the size of one's head, thickness of hair, how tight your curls are and average rate of growth have something to do with it.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • naturalnatnaturalnat Registered Users Posts: 124
    If I recall correctly it was about 6-8 months after the BC that I could pull my hair with a long silk 1/2" wide, 2' long piece of material.

About a year after, i was able to pull it back with an elastic/ponytail holder (when straightened it was just above my shoulders).

To be honest, even though I now can pull it back with an elastic, I still use the really long piece of material. It seems to pull the pony back smoother and doesn't get tangled.

I found it easier to pull my hair back when it was slightly dampened. I also used a lot of JAM and laid it flat with my silk scarf. My hair is SUPER THICK but doesn't curl tightly so I'm sure this had a lot to do with my pony. I would think that if your curls are tighter... it would take longer to pull into a puff pony.

Side note: The longer my hair got, the lower I put the pony; with my hair, it appeared fuller and longer the higher it sat.

I also cut my hair a few times because I was wearing it straight for most of the time, but on my lazy days/weeks my puff pony was my BFF.
  • KranberyKranbery Registered Users Posts: 177
    It took me a year to get my hair in a ponytail with some bits poking out.
    Grow hair grow. People think you look funny at this length. :sad8:

Products:
    Jason Tea Tree Shampoo
    Jason Tea Tree conditioner
    Cantu Shea Butter, Avocado/Rosemary oil
    Egg Protein Treatments
    Burt's Bees Shea and Grapefruit Conditioner
    Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins
    Oyin Greg Juice
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,632
    I've been natural since last August and I did the BC this January. As of now, I can get my hair into a messy ponytail, but it isn't pretty. The front part of my hair is too messy/short and there are fly-aways everywhere. So, I figured by December or January I will be able to have a complete ponytail. So, I'll say maybe a year and a couple of months?
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    I bc'd at 5 1/2 months and it has taken a good 18 months to get a low puff. I still can't get a pony due to a lot of loose front hairs.

Different heads of hair and different hair types grow at different rates and of course healthier hair practices and products will aide in faster growth.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    I bc'd at 5 1/2 months and it has taken a good 18 months to get a low puff. I still can't get a pony due to a lot of loose front hairs.

Different heads of hair and different hair types grow at different rates and of course healthier hair practices and products will aide in faster growth.

ITA

It really depends upon a lot of different factors. I BC'd in Aug '08 and I didn't even try to do a (real)puff until April '09 and it was fine! I had no idea and I could have been rocking that for a while! Now I am at the point to where I can tighten the Goody headband to go around 3X instead of just 2X for something like a "bunny puff" at the top of my head and I go around only 2X if I want my regular puff.

So what do you mean by pony puff? I sure as heck can't do a low puff. My hair is too thick for that and not nearly long enough. I want to be able to do two huge puffs on both sides. LOL :joker:
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • Runna4LifeRunna4Life Registered Users Posts: 112
    I want to know this too. My goal is to have a pony puff by April at least, but my hair in it's shrunken state is only 1" to 1.5" long, but stretched, it's 3.5". I'm 5 months post relaxer, and 1 month natural.
    If anyone has 4a hair, and had a TWA about my length, and can now achieve a puff, can you tell me how long it took you and how long your hair is shrunken and stretched in inches?
    Thank you!
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    What difference does it make? No one here knows your hair, how it grows, what you health and life is like or what may happen in the upcoming months. Just look after your hair and see how it goes. If you're that concerned about length, you shouldn't have big chopped, but it's too late now, so maybe you could wear some form of extensions (weave or braids or kinky twists or yarn or Senegalese). If someone tells you May and you get there in March, then what? What if you don't get there until June? Will you sue the person? :-?

Sorry if I sound rude, I understand having a hair goal, but I don't understand wanting to be told by others when you hair will reach a certain length.
    So here it is: hair grows from about 0.5 to 1 inch per month. I've seen people squeeze a puff out of hair that isn't quite there yet putting tension on their edges, and some people won't try that style until there is enough length and volume for a big ass puff. So when you get your puff is partly up to nature and partly up to you, not up to any of NaturallyCurly.com! :p
    Otherwise, you can read the thread. No need to bump it really as the answers won't have changed.

Edit - I think my post sounds ruder than I intend. I apologise in advance if my tone irritates you.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Registered Users Posts: 304
    Afrochika wrote: »
    I want to know this too. My goal is to have a pony puff by April at least, but my hair in it's shrunken state is only 1" to 1.5" long, but stretched, it's 3.5". I'm 5 months post relaxer, and 1 month natural.
    If anyone has 4a hair, and had a TWA about my length, and can now achieve a puff, can you tell me how long it took you and how long your hair is shrunken and stretched in inches?
    Thank you!

Honestly?? I had pretty much your same dimensions when I BC'd in 4/2008, and couldn't do a proper puff (which for me meant being able to do one in the middle of my head without all of the front coming out) until 2010, and my hair had to be soaking wet. This meant I did it in the shower. My shrinkage was around 80% at the time, now it's around 75% because of the weight of the hair.
  • honeybrowncandy78honeybrowncandy78 Registered Users Posts: 88
    This is 1 1/2 months after my big chop
    Attachment not found.
    This is in July of 2011
    uploadfromtaptalk1325542129984.jpg
    My current puff!
    Please excuse my finger in the first pic. This the only pic I took when it was short. I was not comfortable with it being short

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • RonnieajRonnieaj Registered Users Posts: 304
    Honeybrowncandy78,

Do you mean 1 1/2 years? Cause if that's 1 1/2 months, you need to tell me EXACTLY what you do!!
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Registered Users Posts: 891
    I think it helps people to know how long it took others to pass milestones because it allows them to make realistic goals and make sure that their progress is on point. When I first cut my hair I loved looking at other people's progress pictures for inspiration (especially the ones that were dated). Honestly I'm glad that I big chopped but I can't wait to have a ponytail!!!

Anyway, you might not get a ton of answers here, so I would suggest you go to Youtube or LHC or LHCF or Fotkis or something and look at the women who have been growing their hair. That way, you get a large and varied sample population AND you get visual representation of progress as a bonus.
    Ronnieaj wrote: »
    Honeybrowncandy78,

Do you mean 1 1/2 years? Cause if that's 1 1/2 months, you need to tell me EXACTLY what you do!!

Lol I did! My phone is acting stupid. If I did frequently get trims more than I need them I could have had a puff long ago
  • LeeMayhemLeeMayhem Registered Users Posts: 98
    About a year.
    3c Hair
    Wash:Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse
    Condition/Leave In:Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler:Kinky Curly Custard
    Moisture/Shine:Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
    Deep Treatment:Kinky Curly Midnight Miracle
    Ronnieaj wrote: »
    Honeybrowncandy78,

Lol I did! My phone is acting stupid. If I did frequently get trims more than I need them I could have had a puff long ago

Oh damn, I have only started growing out in Feb and I have only been natural a year as of Nov 17, 2011. I'm gon quit posting on here cause I'm all jacked up! Sorry

• dededededede Registered Users Posts: 78
    I have about 5 inches, and I can make two afro pigtails, with some pieces sticking out. It doesn't even have to be wet, but it has to be stretched out. I'm expecting a realy pony puff by my 1 year naturalversary :)
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b
    My go-to styles: Wash-N-Go Pony puffs
  • dededededede Registered Users Posts: 78
    APoemDream wrote: »
    I have about 5 inches, and I can make two afro pigtails, with some pieces sticking out. It doesn't even have to be wet, but it has to be stretched out. I'm expecting a realy pony puff by my 1 year naturalversary :)

Ok, I don't know how or when, but I can actually make one now :) I had to wrap one of those stretchy thin headbands around twice becuase it's so thick, but it looks like a ponytail, only with kinky hair! My life just got so much easier.
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b
    My go-to styles: Wash-N-Go Pony puffs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file