Mac & cheese

PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
I'm looking for a good recipe for baked mac & cheese. The only requirement is that it must have American cheese or Velveeta. I detest cheddar cheese.

Thanks!
God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

Comments

• gooppygooppy Registered Users Posts: 39
    Hi PhD,

My MIL makes great mac & cheese. No exact science or exact measurements, just whatever makes it taste good to you. Here's what she does:

4 cups macaroni, uncooked
    Cook until al-dente. Drain. In a big bowl, mix macaroni with grated cheeses, like mozzarella and monterey jack (use some velvetta if you like, PhD). Mix in a little celery seeds and garlic powder. Taste for seasoning...add more cheese or whatever you need.
    Spread into baking dish (she uses a 9 x 13 glass cake pan) that has been sprayed with Pam.
    Pour milk over until it just starts to peak up through the top of the macaroni.
    Spread bread crumbs over and dot with butter.
    Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until lightly browned on top and milk has been absorbed.

Mine turns out different every time, but it's always good.
    I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
  • merynmeryn Registered Users Posts: 1,807 Curl Novice
    wow, gooppy that looks so good!

My honey made a basic mac-n-cheese a couple of weeks ago and threw in blue cheese crumbles and some canadian bacon. Wowza! but definately not for the carb-conscious!
  • Nacho_MommaNacho_Momma Registered Users Posts: 28
    I love my mom's baked mac! It's velveeta based and hubby loves it too.

Here it is:

Moms Mac

small bag of macaroni ( don't know actual weight - just dont use the big ones)
    1/4 cup butter melted

2 tlbs. flour
    4 tlbs. butter
    2 1/2 cup milk
    2/3 to 3/4 large loaf of velveeta cut up

Okay - these measurements are "loosely" made up.

Here goes............cook mac in salted water - don't cook all the way.
    Rinse with hot water then add the melted 1/4 c. butter - stir and salt well.

Now for the sauce:

melt the 4 T butter and add 2 T flour and add 2 1/2 cup milk - cook for a few minutes and then add cubed velveeta.........cook till melted........this won't be real thick.

Now - pour over cooked macaroni and put in greased casserole dish. Top with crushed crackers if desired. Cook at least 30-40 minute.........up to 60 minutes till bubbly......350 º

enjoy!
  • RochelleRochelle Registered Users Posts: 2
    gooppy & avocadomom:
    Hi. Just wanted to say thanks for posting these recipes! I just decided to make baked mac & chz for dinner tonight. I checked my cookbooks & didn't find what I was looking for. Then I thought about checking here & these recipes are exactly what I was looking for! icon_biggrin.gif I normally just read/post on the hair board. Once again, nc.com & it's posters come thru! icon_cool.gif
    3a/b, medium, long, Brunette
  • Raggedyann928Raggedyann928 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Mac and cheese is the only thing I know how to make! My mother taught me how--so I guess it's a secret family recipe. I'm pretty sure it came from the Betty Crocker cookbook, though. icon_wink.gif

Cook a 16 oz box of mac according to the directions on the box.

Meanwhile...

Melt 2 Tbs butter. Add 2 Tbs flour and stir. This gets lumpy but will go away during cooking. Stir in 2 cups milk and boil till thick, about 10 minutes. Add 8 oz cheese (whatever kind you want, cubed or shredded) and stir till cheese is melted. Season to taste, but use white pepper or you'll have little black specks in your mac.

Layer mac and cheese sauce in a glass casserole dish (I use a round one), then stir to get it all nice and mixed. Bake at 350 for 30 min. Voila!
    "Hurrah! Purple breasts! Just what I've been looking for!" --the always-witty LisaAnn
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    Yummy! I'm printing out all the recipes and will definitely make mac & cheese this weekend. Warm and yummy for the chilly fall weather!
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file