Baby carrier/wrap/sling recs?

nynaeve77nynaeve77 Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroplexRegistered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
I didn't do any sort of baby carrier with Danae, but I'm thinking I might want to with this baby, especially since I have an active preschooler who is not a fan of strollers. I'm looking for something that's not too heavy since I'm pretty top-heavy already, so I don't want to put too much strain on my back. Any suggestions?
"Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
Password: orphanannie

Comments

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    My favorite when Lydia was a newborn was a wrap. I liked how it kept her snug against my chest and spread the weight over two shoulders. I never bought one although there are really nice ones you can buy! Here is where I found directions for making one (really easy!)

Also, I know a lot of people who like ring slings for newborns because you can easily nurse the baby in the sling
  • DelmaDelma connecticutRegistered Users Posts: 1,121
    Ergo!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Syracuse, NYRegistered Users Posts: 5,656
    For the early days, a stretchy wrap is best IMO. You can make your own as BEG suggested or you can buy a Moby or Sleepy Wrap for around $40.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    I really liked the Ergo when Lydia was bigger and on my back a lot, but I didn't like it when she was small.
    I just wanted to add that whatever carrier you get, I would look for something where you can hold newborns in an upright tummy-to-tummy hold, since a lot of newborns don't like the cradle position. You can do that with wraps, ring slings, some pouches (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch is good for this and would be great in the winter), mei tais, or an Ergo with the new Heart2Heart infant insert.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroplexRegistered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Thanks for the recommendations. :) I really do think that a wrap or something will be so much easier for me than trying to wrangle a stroller + Danae, at least while the baby is smaller. Plus, maybe I can actually get some work done...LOL
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations. :) I really do think that a wrap or something will be so much easier for me than trying to wrangle a stroller + Danae, at least while the baby is smaller. Plus, maybe I can actually get some work done...LOL

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but I'm really thinking I'll wear new baby in a wrap all.the.time and just go about my usual business with Sol. You can even nurse in most carriers (though it may take some practice).
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    You know I hated my moby, I guess if I had used it more maybe I would have got the hang of it. It just wasn't user friendly for me, but if you want the versatility of a wrap but more user friendly for the NB stage you might want to try this:

http://www.babyktan.com/

I tried one at a show and found it to be way easier than the moby , not good for me though cause I have a chunka baby..LOL
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    I am probably going to go with a Moby for when he is still small (i found a vid on youtube and it really doesn't seem that hard...I hope) and an ergo for a bit later..

no matter what you select have Pixie attach her video with Sol with the carrier... I get the biggest kick out of it!!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
    it's not really that its hard it just not as easy to pop 'em in and out.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    PixieCurl wrote: »

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but I'm really thinking I'll wear new baby in a wrap all.the.time and just go about my usual business with Sol. You can even nurse in most carriers (though it may take some practice).

I don't think it's wishful thinking. I was able to do that with Nadia for a few months.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    geeky wrote: »

I don't think it's wishful thinking. I was able to do that with Nadia for a few months.

I find it cumbersome. I can't bend over and I certainly can't carry Lilly when I'm wearing Madeline. I feel like there's this ultra fragile bump in between me and whatever I need to do. If I'm hanging out doing nothing, it's OK. But when I'm actively doing something, I just prefer for her to be on my back. Any suggestions for a carrier that will allow me to carry a 2/3 month old on my back?
    medussa - a woven wrap would work for back carries. I also think you could also do a high back carry with a mei tai at that age (just tying the "waist" straps up high, over your breasts).
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    medussa wrote: »
    geeky wrote: »

I find it cumbersome. I can't bend over and I certainly can't carry Lilly when I'm wearing Madeline. I feel like there's this ultra fragile bump in between me and whatever I need to do. If I'm hanging out doing nothing, it's OK. But when I'm actively doing something, I just prefer for her to be on my back. Any suggestions for a carrier that will allow me to carry a 2/3 month old on my back?

Ditto this...I believe if Steven was older or Callie was not such a wiggly baby, it would be great...but as she is getting bigger I am finding it harder and harder to wear her when I am trying to do things such as cleaning or playing with Steven.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    I think you both would really like back carries. There are some YouTube videos with newborn back carries in a wrap, and while it's usually recommended to use a woven for back carries, if you make sure to get it nice and snug I think a stretchy would be okay for a tiny baby.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    I do have to get a woven wrap...Callie is..well...a chunk and is getting too heavy to put into the stretch anymore.

So...any tutes on how to make my own woven wrap, I would love to buy one, but that is NOT in the budget right now.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    Deezee, the link I posted above also tells how to choose fabric for a woven wrap. If you buy a fabric that is narrow enough, you may not have to even hem the sides.
  • mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    i have loved my mei tai (babyhawk) for lydia from newborn to now (toddler). even though i've tried slings, rebozos, stretchy and woven wraps, it's been the one i've consistently loved.

i do use the rebozo s.o.'s mom sent from guatemala for hip carries a lot now, i did not like slings when she was tiny.

hth!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

I totally knew that! That is where I figured out how to make my stretchy one...

Chasing after 2 is making my memory crap!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    deezee02 wrote: »

Chasing after 2 is making my memory crap!

Just wait until you have another. Total brain mush.
  • KaiaKaia Home of the FL GatorsRegistered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur

Not wishful thinking at all. Ethan pretty much lives on my back. I wouldn't do something where I;m bent over the whole time, but I do just about anything else. And the best part is that he loves it! He always gets a big grin on his face as I;m swinging him up and tying. He gets the best view and if he gets tired, he just snuggles his face into myt neck/back and falls asleep.

As far as the OP, my suggestion would be a woven wrap. TBH I never found a need for a stretchy with a newborn, and a good woven will last through toddlerhood.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Registered Users Posts: 1,559
    mei tai, still put my 2yr old in it from time to time in a high back rucksack carry. started putting her in it when she was about 2mos.
    thank goodness for baby carriers, they are such a huge lifesaver!! with 2 busy kids (preschooler and toddler and colicky newborn baby who insisted on being held and moving all of the time for every waking minute of the first 4mos of her life), being able to put her in and wear her around was a godsend. I think that it really depends on the baby, some prefer being held upright, some cradled, some more snug others not. having the perfect carrier is very relative and dependent on Mom and baby.
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroplexRegistered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Kaia, completely OT (but since this is my thread, I'll do it anyway!), but your username is actually one of the names we're considering if we have a girl. Hubs part Scandinavian, so he likes that it comes from that background...I just think it's pretty and goes well w/ big sis's name.

• sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I love(d) my mei tai. When O was a newborn, I wore him on the front, and we eventually went to back carries when he could hold his head up. It was a lifesaver when I went to the grocery store, family get-togethers, etc. When he became mobile, he stopped tolerating being worn very much, but it was great for the earlier months.
    ehLB.jpg
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I am loving my mei tai (kozy) too. I prefered the stretchy wraps when she was small, but once she got big enough to comfortably have her legs hanging out of the mei tai that is the one I reach for consistently. I have a woven wrap too, but I don't use it as much, probably because I can't put that on as easily when out and about.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    My babe will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and he loves being in any carrier. That being said my hubby has been using the Beco Butterfly and the two of them both seem to love it. It is probably the easiest to learn and it's nice that you can take the carrier off with babe inside and switch who is carrying them (though we haven't done this yet). I just started using the Moby wrap yesterday and was able to walk the dog, mop the house, and make dinner while wearing him. He's very snug and comfortable in there once it's on, but it's a ton of fabric (especially for me since I'm pretty petite) so it can get warm (since it's still in the 80s-90s here), and it's a little annoying throwing fabric everywhere to get it on. But I love that I can distribute the weight just by adjusting how I have it strapped over my shoulders (wider v. narrower). Lastly we have the hotslings, which right now is the one I've used the most, but I don't love getting him in and out. Also when he's in I'm constantly concerned about his airway.
    That being said I really want a mei tai, I've been eyeing the Babyhawk forever -- and will probably break down and buy one soon, it just seems so convenient and easy to use.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file