Help! Split ends and breakage!

NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
After doing the BKT, my hair did have some uneven ends because it was stick-straight, and when I first started washing it, I can comb through my hair with no problem with minimal breakage. But for about 2 weeks or so, I've noticed that my hair is more tangly than usual and I've been losing A LOT of hair in the shower, and I've also been noticing some hair falling on my shoulders and back. Plus, I have some frizz in humid weather (I air-dry my hair with leave-in). My mom thinks the stylist didn't do the treatment correctly, but I doubt it because she has had 30 years experience with it, both here and in Brazil, so only two questions come to mind. I know it's normal to lose up to 100-150 hairs a day, and the only time I wet my hair is every third day in the shower, so is it just the dead hair extracting? Or is it actually split ends and breakage? I'm confused because isn't it supposed to heal your dry ends? I thought it was the La Brasiliana shampoo because it has ammonium lauryl and laureth sulfates, which are drying, so I just switched yesterday to L'Oreal EverPure and I'll see how it goes. Sooo, is it split ends/breakage, dead hairs, or the products? TIA!8-)
:toothy4::toothy4:
"Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
DT: GF Triple Nutrition

Comments

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NoraCurl,

I have had a similar problem. I had the Coppola Keratin Treatment on 8/7/09, and for the first month my hair was wonderful - really soft, no frizz, and straight. (I am usually a 2b, and became about a 2a with Coppola). After 5 weeks, my hair started getting frizzy and more dry again. I feel like I spent $300 for nothing. I thought that the treatment was supposed to last about 3 months. The only thing for me is that I wash my hair everyday (I know that is probably not good). I also used the Everpure shampoo and conditioner for a while, and then I switched to the products in my signature. (I also get split ends, but I always have).

I'm not really sure what it is, but it's probably a combination of things - the products and that the treatment is wearing off.

I really loved the Coppola treatment, but I'm not sure if I will do it again. It was too expensive to last only 5 weeks.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    Thanks so much, anniemae! I used the L'Oreal EverPure products, and now my hair is back to its soft, manageable self...and just in time for picture day:hello1:I think it was probably the shampoo itself, because my hair always has reacted negatively to harsh sulfates.
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

• AphroDivaAphroDiva Posts: 183Registered Users
    You know? I have been skipping shampoos, even those all natural non sulfates or sodium... I notice a big difference on my hair if I only do Conditioning wash.
    And I think that helps my keratin treatment to always look so fresh and shiny.
    I can tell a huge difference when I use a shampoo VS Conditioner only..Shampoo dries the hair a lot and the dry ends come out a lot.
  • jadebabi06jadebabi06 Posts: 11Registered Users
    anniemae wrote: »
    NoraCurl,

I have had a similar problem. I had the Coppola Keratin Treatment on 8/7/09, and for the first month my hair was wonderful - really soft, no frizz, and straight. (I am usually a 2b, and became about a 2a with Coppola). After 5 weeks, my hair started getting frizzy and more dry again. I feel like I spent $300 for nothing. I thought that the treatment was supposed to last about 3 months. The only thing for me is that I wash my hair everyday (I know that is probably not good). I also used the Everpure shampoo and conditioner for a while, and then I switched to the products in my signature. (I also get split ends, but I always have).

I'm not really sure what it is, but it's probably a combination of things - the products and that the treatment is wearing off.

I really loved the Coppola treatment, but I'm not sure if I will do it again. It was too expensive to last only 5 weeks.

where do u get coppola
  • Melroseco2000Melroseco2000 Posts: 13Registered Users
    I just got a BKT and I am in love with my hair. I was told by my stylist to only use shampoo and conditioner that was sulfate and sodium free. The sulfate and sodium will strip the keratin treatment from your hair. She also said salt water (ocean) would strip the Brazilian treatment from my hair. I purchased products from the salon that she recommended to help the BKT to last longest.
  • ViennaCoffeeViennaCoffee Posts: 6Registered Users
    To me, it sounds like you need more moisture in your hair , so that it won't break :cyclops:
    dollhouse_logo.gif

heels-logo-ongreen.jpg
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just got a BKT and I am in love with my hair. I was told by my stylist to only use shampoo and conditioner that was sulfate and sodium free. The sulfate and sodium will strip the keratin treatment from your hair. She also said salt water (ocean) would strip the Brazilian treatment from my hair. I purchased products from the salon that she recommended to help the BKT to last longest.

I agree with you. Definitely don't use sulfates or anything containing sodium chloride. Also, I am trying not to wash my hair everyday. I was told that when you wash it too much, it washes away the treatment (at least this is true for the Coppola Keratin Treatment.)
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file