seeking input on black girls & bronzer

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
do any of the black women here wear a bronzer? is it pointless for black skin? i don't know a lot abotu bronzer.

i'm curious about buying one and how it impacts your look. i have OILY skin and have mainly been concerned with keeping it clear and oil-free....

now that it's pretty clear i was wondering how a bronzer would look for special occasions. i do not wear frosty eye shadows cause they make me look more oily but i'm thinking a bronzer might be nice. by the way, i wear MAC Select Tint SPF 15 (NC 50) and i'd probably want a mac bronzer so any specific comments about their bronzer would be great

i don't want to look like a disco ball...any thoughts on this anybody??
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    First of all, definitely buy a matte bronzer! Shimmer is a no-no if your skin is oily or acne prone: It'll just add to shine, and the shimmer will emphasize any roughness or blemishes on your skin. A matte one may even take down the shine a bit!
    Second, how dark are you? Are you like Tyra Banks or Iman or Kristal Craig?? That makes a difference on whether a shade would work on you.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i'm probably around oprah's shade....not as light as tyra but not deep dark either....really a middle of the road brown. maybe i don't even need a bronzer if i'm going to stay w/ a matte look....that's kind of what i was wondering...it just seems matte is all the rage.
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't wear foundations...or make-up of any kind (mainly because i have very sensitive skin). But I did experiment with bronzers for a year or so. I thought it would give me a sun-kissed look...a heavenly glow if you will :lol: which it did, but maybe I got the wrong shade or something, because, at least for me, it was like, "Hey look everyone, I'm wearing a bronzer!!" My SO agreed that my skin looked more radiant without it.

I tried one from the Body Shop and one from Mary Kay (beads) and I liked both of them. I guess it just wasn't for me. Maybe if you try out a few you'll find one to give you a natural glow.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks curlinikki...i like your avatar pic. i think i might be leaning towards just working on having nice clear skin minus the bronzer based on your feedback and my previous skin issues!
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I use to get random break-outs when I was wearing the bronzer, even using a light exfoliant and acne wash didn't seem to help. But now, besides the random lone pimple, I'm break-out free. Knock-on wood :wink:
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    I wear bronzer. I am a big fan of MAC! I wear MAC NC 42. I love their loose bronzer in Golden Bronze, for this, a little goes a long way for me. I also like Clinique Shimmering Tones bronzer in Peach Bronze.

I love the way Bronzer makes my skin glow. I use the StudioFix compact powder (1st) to help control oilies thru the day. Then I normally apply bronzer where I would wear my blush. Sometimes I'll wear blush over bronzer, sometimes I don't.

If you go to any MAC counter, you can ask them to recommend a bronzer for you and try it on while your there. They can show you how to apply it and all. I recommend doing this (preferably in the day time) before you purchase; so you can see how it looks on.

I haven't had any problems with my skin breaking out from it. I usually wash my face every morning and nite. I use Proactive.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    i'll probably use bronzer blush when im older
    3b-3c CG
  • FuzzbusterFuzzbuster Posts: 100Registered Users
    Okay, hears a silly question.....
    Where exactly does the bronzer go? Do you apply it to the face, neck, chest or where? I have tinted lotion that I apply to my arms & legs and it gives a slight shimmer; other than that I'm clueless.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Fuzzbuster wrote:
    Where exactly does the bronzer go? Do you apply it to the face, neck, chest or where? I have tinted lotion that I apply to my arms & legs and it gives a slight shimmer; other than that I'm clueless.

"Where the sun naturally hits," which means your cheeks, forehead, chest area (if it's shimmery it's good on the collarbone), shoulders. Then you'll look sunkissed, not like you painted yourself brown.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • SumtingSweetSumtingSweet Posts: 25Registered Users
    Annother good one is Cargo's in Dark. It's $25 but it comes in a huge pan. It'll last forever.
    ~~~~~~~~~Proudly Curly & Kinky Since 9/6/05~~~~~~~~~

Album coming soon....
  • FuzzbusterFuzzbuster Posts: 100Registered Users
    Fuzzbuster wrote:

"Where the sun naturally hits," which means your cheeks, forehead, chest area (if it's shimmery it's good on the collarbone), shoulders. Then you'll look sunkissed, not like you painted yourself brown.

That makes perfect sense....I told you it was a silly question :lol: Thanks a bunch!
  • niknik Posts: 109Registered Users
    I'm probably closest to Naomi Campbell's hue. I use bronzer as blush...a little will do though. I use MAC's matte "Refined Beyond Bronze" bronzer. I comes in a compact and I have a blush brush. Some of my lighter and white friends use their bronzer lightly on their foreheads, nose, cheeks and chin for a sun kissed look (where the sun would naturally hit) but on me it was too much. Plus I have oily skin so by the end of the day I was not only shining...I was glowing and not in a good way! A dab on the apples of my cheeks gives me a dewy, awake look. Be careful with the shimmer...there is a fine line between looking fresh and awake and looking like a fairy.
    There will never be another you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file