Don't feel the need to big chop!

yvonne1181yvonne1181 Registered Users Posts: 18
Hello Ladies,
Nov 28 will be my one year anniversary of transitioning and I still do not feel the urge to big chop. I wore my hair only a couple of inches long when I was in high school, so I know the feeling very well. Now that I have reached BSL, I do not want to big chop. Am I missing something by being such a long term transitioner?

Comments

• EkaetteEkaette Registered Users Posts: 356
    Nope, you're not missing anything
    I plan on being a long term transitioner as well
    I want a certain amount of length before BCing so I'll be in it for a while
    event.png

4b natural
  • BattleWitchBattleWitch Registered Users Posts: 144
    I don't think you're missing anything as long as it's what you want to do. Those who get the BC seem real happy and those who don't seem happy.

Other than trimming any ends that get ratty, I haven't done the big chop and have no desire to at this point.

--BW
    DB's Daily Leave-In, DB's Natural Coils Curling Jelly, DB's Avocado & Wild Plum Twisting Cream, Curl Junkies Smoothing Condish, CJ's Smoothing Gellie, Qhem Burdock Root Butter Cream, Alma & Olive Heavy Cream, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
  • yvonne1181yvonne1181 Registered Users Posts: 18
    Good to know I'm in great company ladies. Thanks for the replies.:thumbleft: Now if I can just figure out how to transition long term into a healthy lifestyle. This yo-yo dieting has got to stop. Sigh!
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    I thought I was going to transition until December (the 1 yr mark for me) but now I don't think I'm going to cut my hair any time soon. I don't exactly want short hair and transitioning hasn't been too hard for me so I'm going to keep it up for the forseeable future.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• LatifahLatifah Registered Users Posts: 9
    I didn't to the big chop. I remember wearing the tiny fro and I didn't dig it so much.

My transitioning hair wasn't too much for me to care for, so I just trimmed it all away over time. It took 2 years but it's done. I'm chemical free and loving it.

It's all individual preference. I was to vain to do it lol. Plus I don't like going to the beauty shop and I found that as I twisted it, it was easy just to trim the relaxer away.
  • nada101nada101 Registered Users Posts: 125
    Same thing happened to me. At 1 year post I planned to do the BC but when it came to that point I didnt feel the urge to do it so then I set the date 18 months and now that I am at that point I still do not have the urge to do the BC so im thinking i will just transition until 2 years or when i feel that urge to BC. In the beginning i was saying i would never transition for 2 year ... that seemed way too long .. it still does seem long but if i dont have the urge then i might as well continue
    Hair Stats
    Started Transition: March 2008
    Ended Transition: March 2010
    Transitioned for: 2 years

event.png
  • msmchymsmchy Registered Users Posts: 40
    This is how I feel about it. I started my Healthy Hair Journey back in Jan. I stretched for 6 months and did my touch up in July. After getting my touch up, I missed my coily's and I had been on the fence about going natural anyway so instead of another 6 month stretch, I figured I'd just never relax again. Well, I had already set out my goal to have APL hair by December and I've reached that goal in July, ( albeit barely). My ultimate goal length is waist length and I just can't cut my hair until then. I don't know how, I don't know what...but I anit cuttingthis hair for nothing. Unless I absolutely have to. I'll weave it up if I ever should feel the urge I guess.
  • yvonne1181yvonne1181 Registered Users Posts: 18
    If your hair is anything like mine then it will grow like a weed from the lack of chemicals. Once I started doing relaxers only twice a year my hair started to surpass what I thought was my predetermined length. Now, that I have decided to go totally natural I am achieving hair growth (more likely retention) at a phenominal pace. I just recently got my hair flat ironed and my ends professionally dusted. I am actually past BSL now. Call me vain, but it just soldified my choice of not doing the big chop.
  • mixedchickfrom86mixedchickfrom86 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I don't feel too much of an urge to BC either. Sometimes I really want to just to be done with the whole thing, then I change my mind because my hair looks good as it is right now... so what's the point.

I don't really want short hair, so I can wait.
  • BrownsugababeBrownsugababe Registered Users Posts: 63
    I don't feel too much of an urge to BC either. Sometimes I really want to just to be done with the whole thing, then I change my mind because my hair looks good as it is right now... so what's the point.

I don't really want short hair, so I can wait.

I was supposed to be chopping in June... But I really don't want to anymore...I just don't think I am comfortable with the length. I'm going to stretch to 2 years :)

Thanks ladies :-o

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file