Darcy's Botanicals review

AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
I searched for a thread on DB products but could only find one on the 4A board and not in the RPR section so thought I'd post one.

I have: Peach Kernal Hydrating Milk, Natural Coils Curling Jelly, Organic Coconut and Aloe MP, Juicy Peach Leave In and Vanilla Detangling Milk. I have only sample sizes so I'll indicate which I'll repurchase below.

Peach Kernal Hydrating Milk---I actually liked this the least of all the products. I tried it as a rinse out and as a leave in sort of styler. It just didn't seem moisturizing enough to me. My hair is not really dry either--it is definitely normal (and leans to oily). It did not work in my daughters very dry 3A/4A mix at all. I expected it to be close to KBB but it's not in the same ball park as far as I am concerned. Probably not a repurchase but it is possible that I'll give it another go and maybe combine it with something else or use in a different dew point. We are very dry here right now...might work good in higher dews for me.

Natural Coils Curling Jelly--WOWO WOWOW OWO WOW. This stuff is amazing. It works far better for me than any other jelly I've used to get very curly hair that has root curl and is just generally good and an even curl. It doesn't produce the major ringlet's that something like Curls Gel-Les C produces for me but it did produce a very nice curl that was very even and held all day. Huge thumbs up and will definitely purchase the largest size possible!

Leave In--quite nice. Much more moisturizing than the milk to me. It took a very small amount even in these low dews for me to notice it. Bonus is it comes in many scents. Will purchase full size.

Vanilla Delight Detangling - LOVE the smell. Like the consistency. I used it more as a leave in since I don't get tangles..but find that sometimes detangler's work good for me as they aren't too heavy. I have not had a chance to try with my daughter as her hair is having some major issues now and we are trying to just stablize it from being so dry. I'm leaning towards a repurchase.

Organic Coconut and Aloe Moisture Pudding--I really liked this in spite of the fact I see very few positive reviews of it. I used a bit after I scrunched out the crunch and it worked quite excellently to kind of corral some stray curls..since I am a curly/wavy type my hair can look quite messy and unkempt but this smoothed some of the frizz (minimal but I notice it!) and helped to kind of reposition some naughty curls. I used it on my daughter's hair as we did her hair in 2 braid's today to smooth it out and it worked well. I do not think I would purchase this unless there was a sale and/or I was ordering other products. Scent was icky--too much like straight aloe vera gel which doesn't smell good to me. If it came scented it would be a purchase for me for sure. I don't need too much so the overall price isn't worrisome. However I liked the Leave In and the Detangling as well and probably don't need all of them. Down PJ down!

Here's a pic of the my hair today (1st pic). I cowashed with GTTT, conditioned/rinsed with Giovanni Root 66 Volume condish then used about 2 tsp (1 tsp one each side) of DB NCCJ and a little bit (1 pea sized) of BRHG on top. Ice Queen method and after I used an old tshirt to scrunch a bit I added about another tsp of the curling jelly. Then diffused til bout 40% and air dried the rest of the way and then scrunched. Did take a bit longer to dry at my temples for some reason but not too bad.

I am attaching a 2nd pic that is my hair when it is more ringlet's with Curly Q and Curls products (Curly Q condish, Curls Gel-Les C and Goddess Glaze). It is at the end of a day so it is flatter and some of the curl has gone (this is about 9-10pm and I do my hair at 5am) but it still shows the more ringlet look I get with that.

The two are very different looks to me. I am really loving both!
FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/

Comments

• mamacita1603mamacita1603 Posts: 316Registered Users
    I didn't like the natural coils curling jelly, it made my curls dry to the touch:mad:....so i swapped it. I don't think i will try any of the other items in the near future:walk:.
    Type: 3b-healthy hair*medium texture* normal porosity?
    Shampoo: SC Optimum, Luster's Pink,Curliscious Cleansing Cream
    Conditioner: Coconut Sublime, Giovanni 50:50, CJ CASD
    Leave-In: CJ Beauticurls
    DT: Silicon Mix
    Styling: Eco Styler, KCCC/KCKT, BRHG, AOMM

Holy Grail: Flour Sacking*modified method* AOMM, ECO Styler-Krystal
    Expiermenting with: Whatever i can get my hands on:twisted:
    Hair Hates: Vegetable glycerin/waxes:sad11:
    *Always going to be a Pj until i find all my HG's:love5:
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I initially put in a bad review of these products. I'm glad I gave them another chance before kicking them to the curb, because I'm getting some of my best hair days with this line now !! It bothered me to have spoken badly about it, so I went looking for this post and have edited it accordingly!!

Here's my two cents on the products I've tried, but with the results I'm not getting ...

Coco-Aloe Pudding.
    This pudding is different than any of the other puddings I've tried. I don't use it as a curl enhancer. I use it after I've diffused a few minutes and the curls are starting to form. I scrunch in a very small amount and continue diffusing. It helps prevent any crunch from forming, encourages a tighter curl - all without creating any frizz or taking away any volume. It is very concentrated. Even for a heavy-handed product user like myself, I only use a small amount. Don't let the 4oz jar fool you, this product will last quite awhile if you don't overuse it.
    When I first used this, I tried to use it the way I normally use puddings - after a LI conditioner, fingercombed through. It did not work well this way. My hair was flat and lifeless looking. Using it the way I have above works really well.

Natural Coils Curling Jelly
    It is a surprising product. It is quite thin, but works really well. It really encourages the curl. I use it after a LI and before gel. I've gotten great curls, lots of volume, but still have the definition ... and best of all - NO FRIZZ! I finger comb it through and then scrunch it before plopping with Curlease towel or scrunching with Curls Like Us towel. I don't find it has any hold, so I definitely need a gel afterwards. I always need a gel though !

Madascar Vanilla Styling Creme:
    This product is a bit too much for my hair. I like to use it before bed when I know I'll be wetting my hair in the morning. It smells wonderful and adds lots of moisture. I probably won't reorder though. Because it is too much for my hair, I can't get away with during the day at all. It makes my hair flat and greasy looking.

Peach Kernel Hydrating Milk
    This is a great 2nd day hair product for me. I scrunch some in when my hair is still up in a pineapple. I go about my morning routine and then take it out of the pineapple. It eliminates whatever frizz was there and allows me to scrunch in some other products. It also smells amazing.

Botanicals Curl Detangling Milk
    This came in a spray bottle and the milk is too thick to spray. To use it, I changed the top to a lock top - similar to that shampoo and conditioner bottles have. It is a good leave-in, and smells wonderful. I got the citrus scent. I don't know that I would order it again. While it worked half decent as a LI, it wasn't one of my favourite Darcy products.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    your hair looks great :toothy4:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • divecurldivecurl Posts: 45Registered Users
    I've only tried a couple of items in this line, but I'm very happy with both.

Peach Kernel Hydrating Milk
    I use this as a leave-in. It makes my hair really soft and provides great definition to my curls all on its own - no curl enhancers needed. I only use TheraNeem gel over the top for a little hold. I originally tried using a curl cream over the top ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]), but that was a disaster. I think the milk is just to heavy for that.

Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Oil
    I added a little bit of this to my BB Curl Styling Lotion for some extra conditioning. This really made my curls pop. And it didn't weigh my hair down at all. In fact, I got a bit more shrinkage than normal. Of course, my hair LOVES coconut oil. I think this is going to replace my BB Hair Oil.
    Hair type: 3a/3b, medium texture (canopy is coarse), high porosity.
    Hair hates protein; tolerates only low amounts of glycerine.
    Products:
    Color: Redken Shades EQ
    Rinse-out: Curls Coconut Sublime, Nirvana Cherry Bark/Almond, JC Aloeba
    Leave-in: BB Curl Styling Lotion, Darcy's Peach Kernel Milk, Darcy's Avocado & Wild Plum, TheraNeem Leaf & Oil Cream,
    Styling/Hold: KCCC, Fairy Tales Curly Q Natural Curl Maker, TheraNeem Neem Leaf & Aloe Gel
    DTs: Refined Coconut Oil, Ojon, Homemade Avocado
  • redecouverteredecouverte Posts: 70Registered Users
    I looove her line!
    I think I've used most of her products and my top three are the madagascar vanilla, cupuacu pomade and transitioning creme:blob4:
    Last re.l.a.x.er: July 2006
    First big chop: September 29th 2006
    Several locking attemps
    Second big chop: June 30th 2010
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Redecouverte you and Empressri's youtube reviews are what convinced me to try it! Thanks for doing great reviews! I've watched all of yours and Empressri's--I swear it is like my nighttime entertainment instead of TV! haha :rofl:
    FIA 2c/3aFi

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had been putting off putting in a review on the Darcy Botanical products, because I had really wanted to love them. Everytime I tried them this past summer, I ended up with amazingly soft hair - but it was flat, limp and had very little curl.

It finally stopped raining here, so I thought I'd give it another try. My hair looked wonderful today and is nice and soft. Here's how I used it:
    1. KBB Nectar
    2. Darcy's Curling Jelly
    3. Plopped with Curlease Towel
    4. Curly Q Princess Glaze
    5. clipped & diffused
    6. SOTC with Darcy's Coconut Aloe Pudding
    My hair is awesome. The Pudding worked great as a scrunch out. I still don't know that I would repurchase the pudding. It is a 4oz container that isn't full .... I felt ripped off when I opened it. The Jelly worked like a charm though - it is an 8oz container - full to the rim !!

So .... I wouldn't recommend this product for high dewpoints ... but if the weather is decent, it is excellent !!

Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • AikaAika Posts: 35Registered Users
    Alexjoujou wrote: »
    Natural Coils Curling Jelly--WOWO WOWOW OWO WOW. This stuff is amazing. It works far better for me than any other jelly I've used to get very curly hair that has root curl and is just generally good and an even curl. It doesn't produce the major ringlet's that something like Curls Gel-Les C produces for me but it did produce a very nice curl that was very even and held all day. Huge thumbs up and will definitely purchase the largest size possible!
    Are you still using the Jelly?
    I’m thinking of ordering it, even though I’m a bit worried about the castor oil. Has it got any hold, or are you using gel on top of it? Thanks.
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    Aika wrote: »
    Alexjoujou wrote: »
    Are you still using the Jelly?
    I’m thinking of ordering it, even though I’m a bit worried about the castor oil. Has it got any hold, or are you using gel on top of it? Thanks.

Yep. Still love it. Used it 2 days ago matter of fact. I don't have problems with castor oil. I know others do so if you do you might want to not go for this jelly. I don't have any problem getting it out of my hair because I use low poo's at least 2x weekly.

I always use a gel on top of everything. Usually BRHG or Abba. The DB products play nicely with Abba. No flaking or other problems. I also love the coconut and aloe pudding--it's getting so I don't mind the scent at all anymore--it works great for me mixed with Vatika Frosting (Hairveda) to SOTC.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

• AikaAika Posts: 35Registered Users
    Thanks very much. :)
    I can see in your signature that you also have fine hair, so I think I’ll try the Jelly and see how it goes with the castor oil. I low-poo once a week as well, so I’m not worried about a build-up.
    I’ve only tried the spritz from the DB line, but I must say it’s the only spray that has ever worked for me.
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    Today I tried the DB leave-in-it was ok, not bad but I prefer Jasmine's. I also used the nccj. I applied it on all of my hair, parted it in half and used some AOMM/BRHG on one side and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] on the other (I'm a bit impatient when trying new products..lol). The side with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] turnned out shinier and better overall. The side with the AOMM/BRHG turned out good, but not as good. I got great curl formation on both sides, no frizz. I'll have to say the side with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] had better clumping, but the side with the BRHG combo dried faster. I've never noticed my hair taking real long to dry with any [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] combo, but it did take considerably longer to dry with the NCCJ. I will try the NCCJ with other combos and see what I come up with.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file