Best Solution for that single BIG pimple

curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I usually stay pretty acne free except for the lone pimple that likes to pop up on my chin every once in a while. It gets huge and stays for a week or more...plus, it hurts like the dickens!

I've heard things about toothpaste and honey, I think...

Any advice on how to dry this thing out would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Tea tree oil works wonders — it has antibacterial properties and will also dry that sucker right up. I also recommend very light exfoliation once a day.

Sage Skin Care makes products that will keep cystic acne away and also make skin look and feel wonderful.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i admit it - i'm a toothpaste girl!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rouquinne wrote:
    i admit it - i'm a toothpaste girl!

:D

what kind??
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I second the Tea Tree oil, works like a charm...doesn't smell too good though (although I must admit after using it for years, I am used to the smell and actually sort of like it now). I dab some on at the first sign of a zit, and by the next day it's totally gone before it's even had a chance to develop.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    When you all say tea tree oil, are you talking about the essential oil, or is it tea tree essential oil diluted in a carrier oil? Can you put the essential oil directly on the zit, undiluted?

I got a stupid "blemish stick" that has tea tree oil in it, but it's mostly grain alcohol! (missed it in the fine print). It doesn't work at all.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I just put the oil directly on the zit, I don't dilute it.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    old fashioned Crest or Colgate.

i understand that it's the camphor oil that is in toothpaste that works to dry up zits. gel formulas tend not to contain it.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Thanks!
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Castella wrote:
    When you all say tea tree oil, are you talking about the essential oil, or is it tea tree essential oil diluted in a carrier oil? Can you put the essential oil directly on the zit, undiluted?

I got a stupid "blemish stick" that has tea tree oil in it, but it's mostly grain alcohol! (missed it in the fine print). It doesn't work at all.

Just went and got my bottle of Tea Tree oil -- happens to be the Desert Essence brand -- and it says on the front "100% Pure Australian Tea Tree Oil". On the back label it says:

"Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil is an essential oil grown in Australia, which has inherent antiseptic qualities.

Directions: Add one or two drops to a moist cotton pad for application to appropriate skin areas. Do not use full strength on face." Then there are some warnings about not getting it in your eyes, etc.

Interesting...I've always used it full-strength and haven't had any problems with it.
    Thanx for all of the advice guys!! I went to Sally's this weekend and purchased a small bottle of 100% Tea Tree Oil. I had a pimple coming up on my cheek, so I exfoliated with an apricrot scrub and applied the TTO... the smell is atrocious, but it feels tingly, so I hope its working. Thanks again :D
  • hairgal22hairgal22 Posts: 27Registered Users
    I have the same problem, about once a month or so, I will get one of those nasty mother of all mother zits. I tried the Tea Tree Oil, and it didn't help at all. What else can I use to just spot treat those single big zits?
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You'd need to make sure your toothpaste has menthol, since this is the ingredient that would dry out the zit. I know that my toothpaste doesn't contain menthol, so you'd probably have to check. I think tea tree oil is supposed to be diluted, btw. A lot of stores in my area sell quality organic/natural products, and all the tea tree-based acne treatments are diluted to about 5%. And I think I've read that it needs to be diluted, as well. The tingly sensation you had came from skin irritation. Doesn't mean it's bad, but it doesn't mean it's working, either. I believe that tea tree oil is mainly used as a vegan alternative to benzoyl peroxide, because of its antibacterial properties. Unlike BP, though, it won't combat existing zits, so it's not a good spot treatment.

Salycilic acid, sulfur, eucalyptus, and menthol will dry the sucker out, but could also cause flaking and irritation that draw more attention to it. Benzoyl peroxide exfoliates and kills bacteria. I would use BP and one of the other substances mentioned at night, but just use a little BP and some moisturizer during the day (to make it look less conspicuous).
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always use Tea Tree Oil full strength with no problems. *shrugs* But I didn't use a lot, just a little drop right on the zit.
  • niknik Posts: 109Registered Users
    I went for a facial some time ago and when the estethcian (sp?) was examining my skin she asked if I ate a lot of sugar and if I had recently experienced a yeast infection. She said that the few pimples on my chin were a clear indication to the amount of unnecessary sugar I am consuming. I don't eat a lot of sugar that I know of but it could be hidden in the junk I am trying to eliminate from my diet. Don't know how true her statement was but its something to consider.
    There will never be another you
  • chatterbox01chatterbox01 Posts: 77Registered Users
    ive heard the toothpaste thing or eye drops to take away the redness
    please dont break my argyle heart.x.taryn obsessed with argyle--ispendallmytimethinkingabouti:lets get these teen hearts beating faster faster;we all have our dirty little secrets that no one knows..
    So tea tree oil is not working out for me. The hugest, baddest, mega zit has been developing on my face for the past 3 days. There's not even a head yet and it hurts like the dickens.

I've been putting tea tree oil on it since I first detected it and last night I did a sequence of exfoliating, washing with a medicated clean and clear acne wash (active ingredient: Salycilic acid) and leaving on a mix of toothpaste, tea tree and clean & clear.

I woke up this morning and I think it's bigger :shock:

Is there anything I can do. this sucker hurts :?
  • curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    Ouchie!! :(

Try Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask. Although it's a facial mask, I learned from makeupalley.com that you can also dab it on as a spot treatment and leave it on overnight - works great! It's not quite miraculous for me, but you really truly can see a difference; it's really good at drying up and shrinking the zit.

I also have had success with a dab of honey on a band-aid overnight.

Maybe you're just doing too much to it. Don't overload it on products - that might be making it worse. Try one of two things, not everything all together. And most importantly, NO TOUCHIE! Leave it alone, don't feel it during the day, and don't pick!

I'm so sorry! I hope it will go away soon! :(
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
    I've got one of those bad boys right now, on my chin. Just when I thought there was hope of having at least one week with clear skin.

So...tea tree oil didn't work, then I tried Neutr Rapid Clear and honestly couldn't see a difference. It did dry up my skin, but the zits got just as big and ornery and hung around just as long.

Now I'm trying Clean & Clear persagel with 10% bp which seems like a lot.

All these monsters, including the cannonball zits, are along the jawline, chin, and up the sides of my face. Also along the eyebrows.

My diet hasn't really changed much...sure, I eat a lot of sugar, but I always have. I've got a lot of stress going on right now, but I'm drinking lots of water which is...not...helping!

That leaves toothpaste and honey to try. Anything else I'm forgetting?
    formerly Castella
    Now I'm trying Clean & Clear persagel with 10% bp which seems like a lot.

I had a monster for almost 2 weeks and tried everything, including the persagel...it dried my skin out something fierce but did absolutely nothing for my pimple. I guess when 'the big one' comes up once every month or 2, there's just no hope. Maybe it doesn't respond because it's somehow different from acne? I don't get pimples, but I get a single huge one every now and then during my 'special time'... maybe they'll never respond to anything that seems to work for everyone else :(
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 274Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When nothing else works for me, vitamin C does, or aspirin. GNC used to make a vitamin C cream, but I haven't been there in a while. It would shrink any big zits within a couple of days. Currently I make a witch-hazel based toner that I add an aspirin to. (one or two pills per 8 ounce bottle) Some curlies like an aspirin mask. There's a thread somewhere.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
    Yeah, I've heard about the aspirin mask. I actually ordered a bunch of pricey product skin samples, so I do have vit c gels and lotions to try out. And the Rapid Clear has SA in it, which is aspirin. I've used Tend Skin, which is basically aspirin in alcohol (or so I was told) in the past, whoa was that drying.

I think I'm too impatient. The persagel does seem to be keeping things in check. I'm doing a proactive, pre-emptive application of it along my jawline every day.
    formerly Castella

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file