Traditional relaxer vs Thermal recondioning

aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
What's the difference? Anyone have any experience with both or know? Looking through these boards, they seem so similar.
Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    They are not similar. At all.

Traditional relaxers left my hair with the same coarse texture that I'd when my hair was curly. Actually, relaxers never really got all the curl out. I still had to flat iron to look decent. They smell terrible and take about an hour, start to finish. Your hair looks the same or worse condition than before.

TRs gave me much smoother, straighter hair. It was very very expensive and 7 hours of work. It smelled horrible. My hair was somewhat shinier, and felt better than it had before. But my hair was also VERY flat and limp.

The results are very different, IMO.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • Aklyen124Aklyen124 Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thermal reconditioning sounds worse than a relaxer. All that heat used on your hair and then you lose your curls. That's kinda scary to me.

At least you get the option of under processing with a relaxer but you have to time that.
    Revenge is a dish best served with a splash of irony.:afro:
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Thanks for the response ladies, I appreciate it. It's just something I've always been curious about, I know the chemicals are different but people always told me it was just, "one's for white girls, one's for black girls" and never really said anything more than they chemically straighten the hair shaft permanently. Now I know! Thanks again :)

• MythaMytha Posts: 2Registered Users
    I did the traditional straightening for years, from about 12 to 24 years old, then went curly (pre-CG), then to the Thermal/Japanese/MagicStraight straightener. I'm heading back to curly now, doing the BC next Friday! But here are my feelings on the straighteners.

First, you need to ask a professional which will work for you, there are some types of hair that tend to break too easily with the Thermal type.

The traditional did improve over the years I did it, but even so, it tended to weigh my hair down. Even with it relaxed I absolutely had to style it, generally I would either set it or blow dry and hot roller or curl iron.

The Thermal was a miracle in my eyes. When the stylist rinsed it out after all the waiting and ironing, it dried soft shiny and perfectly straight. I cried. I was so thrilled, and loved it. I continued doing it every 6-8 months up until Oct 08. After a couple years of it the condition of my hair did deteriorate - do condition heavily if you get into that cycle.

Good luck with your decision, just remember, there's no easy road back to curly - well, unless you're happy with a buzz cut :)
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Mytha wrote: »
    I did the traditional straightening for years, from about 12 to 24 years old, then went curly (pre-CG), then to the Thermal/Japanese/MagicStraight straightener. I'm heading back to curly now, doing the BC next Friday! But here are my feelings on the straighteners.

First, you need to ask a professional which will work for you, there are some types of hair that tend to break too easily with the Thermal type.

The traditional did improve over the years I did it, but even so, it tended to weigh my hair down. Even with it relaxed I absolutely had to style it, generally I would either set it or blow dry and hot roller or curl iron.

The Thermal was a miracle in my eyes. When the stylist rinsed it out after all the waiting and ironing, it dried soft shiny and perfectly straight. I cried. I was so thrilled, and loved it. I continued doing it every 6-8 months up until Oct 08. After a couple years of it the condition of my hair did deteriorate - do condition heavily if you get into that cycle.

Good luck with your decision, just remember, there's no easy road back to curly - well, unless you're happy with a buzz cut :)

Thank you for sharing your experience, that really helps! :). It's something I've thought about doing for the past 4-5 years, and only recently has the technology become diversified enough that I feel comfortable doing it. I've found someone who's professional and experienced in TRing, had a strand test done, and it's been about a week since the test and the part that she did is still absolutely amazing. Luckily, my hair grows out fairly straight around the entire crown area, and it grows sloooooowly so I'm not too worried about frying it with having to do too many touch ups.

Luckily I've given myself enough time to think this through, and with my lifestyle/climate challenges and personal preferences, I think this will be amazing on me. I absolutely LOVE curls, LOVE waves, but on me they just don't fly especially with the short hair- I've tried so many ways lol. I wish you the best of luck on your natural journey though- that's pretty exciting :thumright:

Thanks everyone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file