Have you seen this?

SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
I got this from the Non-hair board but I thought this board would also be a good place to put this.

http://naturallycurly.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=82969

check out the video. thoughts?

edited: here's the link to the video
http://www.uthtv.com/umedia/show/2052/

Kiri Davis, 16, Urban Academy I wanted to make a film that explored the standards of beauty imposed on today's black girls. How do these standards affect her self-esteem or self-image. Through making this film I learned a lot about where some of these standards might stem from. Running time: 7:00. Mentor: Shola Lynch.

Lotsa 3c curls
Curly Journey Album
Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have

Comments

• LadyJAHLadyJAH Registered Users Posts: 81
    Thanks for posting that film link. I actually copied and e-mailed it to my sisters and girlfriends. I am 1 of 5 sisters. And we are like the Cosby kids, remember how they were all different skin hues and hair types.

The film provokes a lot of internal dialog. I would not allow my daughters to own a Barbie Doll :wink: Anyway THANK YOU!!!!
  • curlee4lifecurlee4life Registered Users Posts: 219
    Thought-provoking: It was sad to see that things had not changed very much as to how soon small children "determine" what is deemed good versus bad.

I had hoped that it would not have been so skewed....

Thank you for sharing!

event.png

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
    BC: May 2006

• DominiCurlsDominiCurls Registered Users Posts: 2
    First off, I take my hat off to the young lady who made this film. It is really sad to see that the standard of beauty is so skewed and warped still. And I say that because I, too, grew up with the notion that straight hair was the "good hair". As I watched the film, I could not believe the response that those little kids had to the doll test. That is just crazy!
    ...On my way to natural curls! ;-)

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file