PLEASE Help! Coloring While Growing Out??

egyptiancurls89egyptiancurls89 Posts: 607Registered Users
i like to color my hair a little darker, but i was wondering if thats not a smart idea if im also trying to grow my hair longer...and healthy ;) any suggestions??
3B~Fine, porus, and really long
HG's~Plopping and Homemade FSG!! Thank you BB :toothy10:
:farao:Proud To Be Egyptian!
"Your head is like a crown on you.
It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
I am captured by your flowing curls."
Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Henna :love4: or indigo.
  • egyptiancurls89egyptiancurls89 Posts: 607Registered Users
    thanks, but i dont want red or black.....just a dark brown thats very close to black....
  • discolemonadediscolemonade Posts: 214Registered Users
    Have you looked at the mixes of henna & indigo on http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html? There is a range of shades. You might be able to get what you are looking for.
    3a/b? hair, CG off & on since Oct. 08
    Have you looked at the mixes of henna & indigo on http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html? There is a range of shades. You might be able to get what you are looking for.

thanks! ya i want such dark brown it looks black...but not black...if that makes any sense. im just nervous because my hair is already dyed...i dont want it to react badly!
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    Since you are darkening not lightening it will still do damage, but not as much.

Are you wanting to touch up roots or all over?

How many processes do you currently have in your hair?

When was the last time you processed it?

At either rate you have a couple of options.

I would suggest demi permanent color or glosses. If your current shade is lighter than your desired shade - then it should be easy.

Then there is always permanent color or the indigo as another poster suggested.

You will still have to watch your protein/moisture balance to keep your hair healthy no matter what you do - except with the henna/indigo as I think they are supposed to be conditioning.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

Since you are darkening not lightening it will still do damage, but not as much.

Are you wanting to touch up roots or all over?

How many processes do you currently have in your hair?

When was the last time you processed it?

At either rate you have a couple of options.

I would suggest demi permanent color or glosses. If your current shade is lighter than your desired shade - then it should be easy.

Then there is always permanent color or the indigo as another poster suggested.

You will still have to watch your protein/moisture balance to keep your hair healthy no matter what you do - except with the henna/indigo as I think they are supposed to be conditioning.

thanks!! its been a few months since i last dyed it...iv been doing this ever few months or so for a few years....im just making it a little darker. i heard robert craig might be good for me. what do you think? i dont want to do the henna/indigo because it loosens curls....and im not going to keep using color with peroxide because there are options out there like RC. but i was just wondering if im not going to be able to grow longer healthy hair if i continue...coz if i cant ill give it up. thanks so much!! gotta run to class lol
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I am not familiar with RC products. I have heard the name, but never used it. But you should be ok.

Just do a hard protein treatment several days (4-5) before you color - esp. on the part of you hair that already has color in it.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I've been trying to color my hair darker (dark brown, last shade I picked was called "blackest brown") and grow it out and have had no problems whatsoever. I do choose a no ammonia formula, which leaves my hair in MUCH better condition than other formulas. I do regular protein/DT and follow mod-CG routine. I've been dying my hair myself for the last 6 months or so and have gone to two salons, saw the owners, and I was told my hair was in great condition. They were surprised when I told them I colored it.

I'm trying Robert Craig next time though, supposedly it's the most gentle box color. I'm also not into getting Henna done either- just too much work for me :).

As for retaining/growing with coloring, I think it would depend on how damaged your hair already is, and how well it takes to color. Coloring of any sort will be damaging to a certain extent, though going darker not so much.

HTH, GL! :thumbleft:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• RainRain Posts: 217Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For what it's worth, I dyed my hair with garden variety L'Oreal from Sally's when I had very long hair and minimal damage. The trick is to just touch up your roots and not the whole length every time. If you must touch up the length, do it in the last five minutes only.

I've also used henna and indigo but I was going for black. I got tired of having to touch my roots up every two weeks because indigo fades out when it's new.

Robert Craig is great. I used it a few years ago and loved it. I'd go back to it now but money's tight and if I can avoid paying shipping, I will.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • TSpanglaTSpangla Banned Posts: 68Banned Users
    You can try a rinse out color like Fanciful. It rinses out by shampooing, though. It will get you a darker brown color. Going lighter is much harsher on hair than going darker, but dark color fades quickly. I've been reading about Coffee rinses and scrubs here and there on these boards, and want to do some more digging around on that topic. I'd think they'd darken hair, but again, only temporarily.

I'm in the same boat. I have highlights that I'm growing out but don't want to color over cause I don't want the damage of haircolor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is quite long and I have found that Nice N' Easy by Clairol works fine. I put it on my roots first and then later smooth it through the length. I use a medium brown color, not dark brown. I do think it has ammonia in it, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file