CurlTalk

Wearing boots when you're short...

JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users
I am 5 feet tall with relatively short legs. I really need to get some boots this year, and I love the taller boots that go over jeans, but I'm afraid that they will make my legs look even shorter than they already do. Do you think there is a specific height I should be looking for (ie: mid-calf as opposed to just below the knee)? How do my fellow shorties wear boots?

Comments

• LL~2009LL~2009 Posts: 146Registered Users
    I just bought a pair of knee height boots. I'm 5'1" and i kinda wondered this myself, but i just think the shorter boot stops the "line" more abruptly either mid-calf or ankle. Dont know really, Maybe it's all the model pictures that create that image in the head of the long leg with the tall boot ... But i'm not too keen on the shorter boots anyway. Anyway Thats my take
    fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
    Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
    Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
    Stylers: KKCC,
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    Im 5'3" and I wear them! I had one friend told me I should and another said its BS and to wear what I like- that they look great.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I'm about 5ft 1". I like to team my knee high boots with thick matching stockings and short skirts. If you want to wear jeans underneath the boots I would make sure they match. Wear black boots with black or very dark denim jeans, otherwise it will cut your legs off (not literally!) and make you look shorter. HTH
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I say just go for it!
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    wear whatever you want. I tend to stick w/ ankle boots and boots that stop mid-calf.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    hey, this is what im wearing today and i dont think it makes me look short

IMG_07081-vi.jpg

i bought them a few weeks ago, but this is the first time im wearing them. seems comfy so far. the heel seems to be about 2 1/2 inches.

i have another pair of Aldo boots that come up all the way to knee and i think those give me the illusion of looking longer and slender.

for whatever reason, when i've worn ankle boot, it makes me feel stubby. personally, i dont like them on me.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I have heard from Stacey on "What Not to Wear" that its tricky to wear tall boots when you're short. As she says "It makes you look like you're standing in a bucket". She suggests wearing a shorter length boot to hit mid calf instead of to the knee. I think a heel helps too. I feel your plight too....I'm 5'0!

Burgundy: I like those boots, they look cute!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    Just wear them. ;)
    I have some rain boots and I like them whether they shorten me or not.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
    Thanks curlysue :). if anyone is interested: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cathyjeanshoes.com%2F9217.html" class="Popup

i bought a size 5. Cathy Jean shoes run extremely big IMO. im a 5 1/2 but usually buy size 6 since i cant find 5 1/2. i suggest buying a smaller size if interested.

mine arent these high but- PanettiereGOFF1012_468x981.jpg

heather is pretty short, and i think these look good on her and don't make her look short. but i guess it depends on what the boot actually looks like, and the top.

CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • KraytKrayt Posts: 765Registered Users
    That's Hayden Panettiere, not a Heather.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I hate over-the-knee boots. However, note that she lengthens her "line" by the lifted hair on her crown.

Anyway, you look cute in your boots. Are they purple? Love purple boots!
    That's Hayden Panettiere, not a Heather.

LOL, oops...
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I hate over-the-knee boots. However, note that she lengthens her "line" by the lifted hair on her crown.

Anyway, you look cute in your boots. Are they purple? Love purple boots!

very true. i always do the hump because it brings me to the 5"1 range! LOL.

they are black. but they would be cool if they were purple.

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'm 5'1" and I wear boots a lot in the winter. I don't really care if they make my legs look shorter or anything. I like the way they fit and look and that's all that really matters to me.
    I hate over-the-knee boots. !

+1

eeek they look a little 'professional' for my liking.:hello2:
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users
    Thanks for all the input! I guess I should just get over it and try some on. Maybe it won't make me look as short as I'm envisioning.

While we've got all the short curlies here, I want to address this "issue" of appearing short. It seems to me it's just another one of those cookie-cutterish ideas that bothers me. I mean, if you're short you're short right? Is there anything really so wrong with that?

• PT_CudaPT_Cuda Posts: 329Registered Users
    Also part of when you wear a high boot like that keep your outfit simple.. Too much is too much.. I do like the shorter skirt and dark hose to go with it..

And just rock it out, you own it half the people won't notice... :)
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    mdrb wrote: »
    I hate over-the-knee boots. !

+1

eeek they look a little 'professional' for my liking.:hello2:

I have a pair of suede over-the-knee boots. I love them!

It's important to wear them with the right things so I don't look like a "working girl." I wear mine with jeans tucked in and a sweater coat [bum coverage is a must here]. Or if worn with a skirt, the skirt can't be too short and tights are a must.

It helps a lot that the heel on my pair is very low, about 2," and it's a wedge. They're overall more casual looking.

It's just like other clothing items, like a low-cut blouse or something that really shows off your legs. The rule is, one über-sexy component to any outfit is enough. Any more and it takes it to a place I really don't want to go.

I agree that these boots paired with the wrong clothing, especially when they have stiletto heels, look really trashy.
    LL~2009 wrote: »
    While we've got all the short curlies here, I want to address this "issue" of appearing short. It seems to me it's just another one of those cookie-cutterish ideas that bothers me. I mean, if you're short you're short right? Is there anything really so wrong with that?

i'm short, and i wish i wasnt. i guess its just that simple. its the same thing as the girls who are curly but wish they had straight hair and vice versa, or girls with small boobs who wished they had big boobs and vice versa, etc etc etc. i wish i was at least 3 inches taller.

i could never be a stewardess, a radio city rockette, a model, etc. i will never be able to just stick my hand out the window to pay the car toll booth cause i cant reach- have to always throw the money. can't reach the top shelf in my closet without jumping or getting a chair. i couldnt even see Jupiter in my Astronomy class because the telescope was positioned to point directly to view Jupiter and i couldnt reach to see thru the eye part. clothes rarely fit right...

i mean, for taller girls, these are things that u dont think about. it's not that there is anything 'really wrong with that'. but things would be a tad easier with just a couple inches more.

wash with Low Poo or Poo
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV

i'm short, and i wish i wasnt. i guess its just that simple. its the same thing as the girls who are curly but wish they had straight hair and vice versa, or girls with small boobs who wished they had big boobs and vice versa, etc etc etc. i wish i was at least 3 inches taller.

i could never be a stewardess, a radio city rockette, a model, etc. i will never be able to just stick my hand out the window to pay the car toll booth cause i cant reach- have to always throw the money. can't reach the top shelf in my closet without jumping or getting a chair. i couldnt even see Jupiter in my Astronomy class because the telescope was positioned to point directly to view Jupiter and i couldnt reach to see thru the eye part. clothes rarely fit right...

i mean, for taller girls, these are things that u dont think about. it's not that there is anything 'really wrong with that'. but things would be a tad easier with just a couple inches more.

Oh yeah, totally get all the functional aspects of being short-- i guess i've gotten quite used to it though - What i meant was Does it really matter as far as the image goes? When we are concerned that something makes us look 'shorter' or just as short as we actually are, how much does that really matter?

I like that a lot of people already said things such as: "If you like it thats what matters"-- so i guess maybe I'm looking for more thoughts on this.

Things us short girls have going for us which WE take for granted:

1. Looking feminine

2. Being able to wear heels without towering over people, finding flat formal shoes is tricky

3. You can take pants up us much as you want, but can only let them down a centimeter or two.

4. Dating, its very easy to find a man taller than you if you are only 5ft. A lot men don't want to date women who are taller.

These are the things my tall friends complain about. Just saying, the grass is always greener.
    Fine, very porous 3a

Oh yeah, totally get all the functional aspects of being short-- i guess i've gotten quite used to it though - What i meant was Does it really matter as far as the image goes? When we are concerned that something makes us look 'shorter' or just as short as we actually are, how much does that really matter?

I like that a lot of people already said things such as: "If you like it thats what matters"-- so i guess maybe I'm looking for more thoughts on this.

I agree with you, I personally am not self conscious about my height. It's not something I'm constantly thinking about and embarrassed of, it's just a huge inconvenience. What I really meant about the boots making me look shorter was my legs. My legs are proportionately short and I don't like the look of super short legs, so I do try to avoid things that accentuate that. I guess that is something I'm semi-self conscious about, but that's more about my body type, not my height.

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I think the reason for wanting to look taller is that it usually makes you look thinner. The appearance of your weight most likely won't change, but a person who looks 5'4" and 120lb will appear thinner than a person who looks/is 5'0" and 120lb.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

1. Looking feminine

2. Being able to wear heels without towering over people, finding flat formal shoes is tricky

3. You can take pants up us much as you want, but can only let them down a centimeter or two.

4. Dating, its very easy to find a man taller than you if you are only 5ft. A lot men don't want to date women who are taller.

These are the things my tall friends complain about. Just saying, the grass is always greener.

Yep, it really doesn't matter your height (hair color, body type, etc) you always want something different.

1. Looking feminine

Yep, it really doesn't matter your height (hair color, body type, etc) you always want something different.

Thanks for getting positive, MDRB:happy3:
    I have another good reason to be short--- (as a mom or aunt or what-have-you) you can get up in there with the kids on the park play equipment!!

Oh! and how about sometimes finding shoes in the kids section (if they're decent of course!)

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i don't mind being short, i just wish i could find tall boots to fit OVER my calves!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    i don't mind being short, i just wish i could find tall boots to fit OVER my calves!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.duoboots.com%2F" class="Popup

Seriously worth the money- their shipping is excellent- as is their customer service and the boots- are. gorgeous.

I could never wear boots before I found these guys- you get ones to your exact measurements because they make them in lots of sizes- going up a couple of cm at a time!

:)
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I'm 5'3" and I wear all sorts of boots. I have ankle boots, cowboy boots and knee-high boots. I think one should just wear what they like.

I don't wear pants tucked into boots, so my boots can be close-fitting which is helpful in keeping the look sleek. If they are too sloppy around the ankle they tend to make me look like a potted plant. :?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Oh! and how about sometimes finding shoes in the kids section (if they're decent of course!)

I get ALL of my non-heels (flats, sneakers, etc.) from the kids' department. Usually at Target.
    empressri wrote: »

I have the opposite problem. Apparently I have scrawny calves so my legs end up looking like toothpicks in buckets when I try to wear high boots.... so I've given up on wearing boots with skirts/dresses altogether.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    I wear boots. Love them. I'm 5'1. This year I had a ehll of a time finding kneww length with a slight heel that wasn't huge on the calf. I think this was the first year I had this problem.