Help me make oatmeal interesting

AmyWOMANAmyWOMAN Registered Users Posts: 6
If I play my cards right, I can get cheapo breakfasts using oatmeal out of the cylinder container (instead of prepackaged) and adding things like fruit. I just made some with a bit of vanilla soy powder, honey, and a banana, and it's SO boring and bland. Obviously I didn't do enough to make it tasty.

Any thoughts on cheap and quick things to add in the morning to give it zing? I was thinking of dried cranberries - are these cheap? - and cinnamon and nutmeg and more honey. I'm sure someone will suggest raisins and prunes, but I don't actually like those.

My friend suggested pouring some of my coffee in it, but I'm not so sure about that. icon_biggrin.gif
Eldrad must live.

Comments

• webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    chocolate chips

baileys?
    hello.world.
  • CurlyLaurenCurlyLauren Registered Users Posts: 18
    I'm not sure how fancy oatmeal can really get; I usually just douse it with cinnamon and honey or cinnamon and sugar. Also, I sometimes spike it with dried fruit like currants or apricots.

If I happen to be eating it in the summer and don't want a hot cereal feel to it, I pile it up with fresh fruit, like peaches, and pour cold milk over it.
  • L'n-zL'n-z Registered Users Posts: 208
    make w/milk, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg & peaches. yum.
    8)
  • kurlykittykurlykitty Registered Users Posts: 162
    Honestly, the only thing I know of to make oatmeal more interesting is to use it for something else.

Traditional oatmeal cookies OR grind it up to add to chocolate chip cookies in place of part of the white flour.

Granola

Scottish oatcakes (wait, you asked for non-boring...)

Oatmeal bread (YUM!)

Oatmeal cakes, very dense and moist.

Topping for peach/apple/whatever fruit crisps.

Seriously, though, check the Quaker oatmeal website. There's a catalog of recipes containing oatmeal, everything from breakfast cereals to desserts to breads to meatballs w/ oatmeal as the binder.

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: KurlyKitty ]
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb
  • mangomango Registered Users Posts: 60
    I chop up little pieces of apple and put those in there with some honey, cinammon, and raisins. Or you can use currants if you don't like raisins. I use soya milk instead of milk (not the powder). You can use different flavours of soya milk too like vanilla, chocolate or mocha. Sometimes I chop up almonds or cashews and put those in there too.

Ooh, I'm getting hungry.
    3b/c
  • kurlykittykurlykitty Registered Users Posts: 162
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonrizas in CA:
    I eat oatmeal naked.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You, or the oatmeal?
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I eat oatmeal naked.
  • marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    Amywoman, it also makes a difference if you cook the oatmeal with the
    add-ins vs. just putting them on top of plain lumpy oatmeal. I do mine with
    milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. All cooked together.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KurlyKitty:
    You, or the oatmeal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you stop by some time and find out?
  • AmyWOMANAmyWOMAN Registered Users Posts: 6
    I could eat oatmeal naked and with Baileys, but maybe I should close the shades in the kitchen and wait until weekends to do that. It would definitely make the entire oatmeal experience more interesting. For Mr. Amy at least, and possibly the neighbors if I forget to close the shades.

Does milk really improve the taste? I think I'll try some cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey, and then whatever fruit and nuts icon_biggrin.gif I have around. Will maybe also occasionally try those recipes on the Quaker Oats site when I have time. Thanks, everyone!
    Eldrad must live.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    when I was a kid my dad would put condensed milk in the oatmeal. yum!

I just assumed you put milk in it. I thought that's how you make it.
    hello.world.
  • StinaBearStinaBear Registered Users Posts: 7
    I put milk in my oatmeal too! It never did anything for taste I always thought of it as a way to keep the oatmeal from sticking to my insides cuz the milk thins it out a bit...I always put brown sugar or maple syrup in mine...I don't like chunks in my oatmeal though so no fruit
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I have a recipe that you cook it with a little milk and a little water. Then add strawberries, a tablespoon of sour cream and some brown sugar.
    I haven't tried this yet, but the sour cream part sounded interesting to me.
    :rambo:
  • Frizzy Lizzy 2Frizzy Lizzy 2 Registered Users Posts: 2
    This might sound really strange so keep in mind that I'm a person who likes cold burritos and cold pizza for breakfast - when I can get it. But for a change of pace back before I went low-carb I would stir in a handful of shredded cheddar cheese and some salsa. If you can eat an omelet with all that stuff & call it breakfast why not oatmeal, right? icon_wink.gif
    Mostly fine, thin 3A
  • PoochiePoochie Registered Users Posts: 315 Curl Connoisseur
    Blueberries! just dump in some frozen ones as you're cooking it. Turns it a lovely color, too. icon_biggrin.gif
  • ceebeeteecurleeceebeeteecurlee Registered Users Posts: 5
    Here goes~~
    I add 1 tablespoon chopped dates while it is cooking,then before I eat it I add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon peanut butter, and either brown sugar or REAL maple syrup (not the fake kind folks...)

Cee
    3a curls, med/fineCurl enhancers- Looking for new product now that my hair has gone
    WAVY

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file