Product rec. for 14 yr old boy

CurlyJamiCurlyJami Registered Users Posts: 8 Curl Connoisseur
I'm not a man, but this question is for my son. He is 14 years old, and hates his curly hair. I would love to find some products for him (conditioner, gel, etc.), but he doesn't like anything that smells "girly." Any recommendations for CG products with a masculine smell? He loves the Axe line of hair care, but it's not CG and his hair looks very dry. Please help!

Comments

• BeachCurlGurlBeachCurlGurl Registered Users Posts: 168
    I have a 14yr old son who is a medium to coarse 2c. He started to come and ask me to help him with his hair. Eventually he saw what I do seems to work better and is doing it himself now. He likes the axe stuff too but I have been getting him to use a little leave-in conditioner and some clear gel on top to control frizz. I'm a curly too but have completely different hair than he does. I just let him try out some of my stuff. Most of the gels have no scent and there are plenty of conditioners that do not smell 'girly' and most of the time the scent dissapates anyway. They seem to think they have to reek of that axe stuff!:banghead:
    3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Current Favs: KM Shampoo bars, Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, CJ Repair Me; CJCR, CJCCC; Marie Dean products; DM Miracurls Gelly; KCCC; CJCQ; LA Looks sport gel

:love4:Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

:sunny:http://public.fotki.com/BeachCurlGurl/
  • botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Registered Users Posts: 896
    You might want to try a leave-in conditioner and a basic gel :)

For leave-ins, I haven't personally tried Giovanni Direct Leave-in, but I've read many, many good reviews on it! It's packaging doesn't look "girly," no to me at least. I've also heard that it doesn't have much of a scent...and if it does, a very slight scent. I personally like Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol Leave-in conditioner (available at Sally's for $2.89...no more than $3). It has a scent, but more like a regular lotion scent.

Giovanni Direct Leave-in: .
    476.jpg
    ^You can probably get that at Target, if you have one nearby. That have Giovanni at mine for $5.50 or so. Oh, and make sure to look in the natural body and hair care section...not the section where they have Suave and Herbal Essences. In my Target, it's next to the Say Yes to Carrots, Cucumbers and Tomatoes products, Alba skincare, and Dr.Bronner's soap.

Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol Leave-in:

SBS-119122?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

^You can get that at Sally Beauty Supply. If you want to get it for him, you might want to go alone so he won't feel out of place ;)

For gels, try out a gel that doesn't sound or look girly. LA Looks Sport Gel, for example:

Product-Sport-26-Jpg.aspx

^You can get that at most drugstores...I get my LA Loks gel at Walmart...I don't use that one in particular, but I know Walmart has that. Target might also have it. Have him scrunch it in to encourage curl formation :)

Both of those are CG =] Good luck; I hope he likes them!
    Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
    Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
    Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
    Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file