Bedrest

DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
Who has been on bedrest before? Help me entertain myself. I am in the hospital now but should be home later today. I don't have to stay in the bed but I can't actually do anything.

It's been a crazy few weeks. I was having severe anxiety problems as I got closer to 34 weeks because that's when Xan was born. I talked to my doctor and he agreed to do whatever it took to help calm me down but also told me that everything looked great. I was seeing him and the perinatologist and was released from the peri about a month ago.

Around 32 weeks, my anxiety lessened because I knew my chances of a healthy pregnancy were pretty strong. At 33, I started getting antsy again but knew that I just needed to get to 34 and 3 days (this coming Friday) and I would have met my goal. Problem is, I forgot to tell Baby Brother the plan. I have been feeling contractions off and on forever. Docs say they are BH but I didn't feel most of my contractions on pitocin so that is bs. I started monitoring them Sunday and they were coming every five minutes or so. I didn't worry much but called the doctor yesterday morning. He had me come in. I went on my lunch hour because I fully expected that he was just placating me because of my anxiety and that all was well. I was so wrong. He sent me to the hospital for terbutaline which didn't stop the contractions. Then another medicine which didn't stop them either. Finally, after a bunch of IV fluids and maybe the combination of the meds, they slowed down. I am still here though. Waiting on one more test and then I can go home. I don't understand what my babies have against cooking to at least 35 weeks.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Syracuse, NYRegistered Users Posts: 5,656
    No advice but lots of hugs! I'll be sending vibes that baby stays inside a while longer and is born perfectly healthy when the time is right.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • kimberly jkimberly j Registered Users Posts: 153
    Sent you an email! My thoughts, prayers & good vibes are with you. Hoping that little one bakes for several more weeks. Take care of yourself!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    Hugs and good vibes from me. My last pregnancy was contractions off and on from 22 weeks and 3 months of bed rest so I can totally relate. Bed rest is a lot tougher than I expected it to be. I was really bored and felt pretty useless. I read a lot of books, cross-stiched, played computer games, pretty much anything to keep my mind busy. And most of all try not to worry. You'll all be fine :)

How is Xan doing? Is he excited it's so close to his baby brother coming?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• curlygirlymecurlygirlyme OklahomaRegistered Users Posts: 1,340
    Hugs and good vibes from me. My last pregnancy was contractions off and on from 22 weeks and 3 months of bed rest so I can totally relate. Bed rest is a lot tougher than I expected it to be. I was really bored and felt pretty useless. I read a lot of books, cross-stiched, played computer games, pretty much anything to keep my mind busy. And most of all try not to worry. You'll all be fine :)

How is Xan doing? Is he excited it's so close to his baby brother coming?

This. I got so bored on bed rest. I read a ton of books.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Lots of hugs!
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778 Curl Neophyte
    I'm sorry you're having complications, DA. I hope baby stays in there a little longer.

I was trying to think of things that might help you feel productive, other than being a provider of live, that is. I've always fantasized about learning a foreign language, but never can never find the time to commit to it.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroplexRegistered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I'm sorry, DA. I'll send up a prayer that your little one stays put for a few more weeks.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    Terbutaline is the suck and hospital bedrest is an even suckier suck. I did not do bedrest very well. I had tons of books, but I just couldn't focus on reading them. Is there a tv show that you like on dvd that you haven't seen every episode of? I watched Gilmore Girls and Sex and the City a couple of times. I played on the net a lot.

I am sorry that you are having to go through this and I hope the baby stays in there just a wee bit longer!!
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    Lots and lots of hugs
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • KaiaKaia Home of the FL GatorsRegistered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry, DA! My friend who is 29 weeks pregnant with twins also just spent the weekend at the hospital and was just sent home with bedrest orders. It totally sucks, especially when you have a toddler to take care of as she also does. Just do your best to be a good couch potato and cook that baby a bit longer. Did they give you the steroid shots for the baby's lungs? Perhaps now is a good time to find a new show to watch. Dexter and Weeds are pretty addicting. ;) Do you knit or cross stitch? If not, now would be a great time to learn, and you could make something for the baby while cooking him. Lots of hugs to you, I can't even imagine how frustrated I would be not being able to do things around the house. Can you guys get a maid to come in every once in a while to clean up and help keep you sane? If friends and family offer to help, take them up on it, even if it's just someone coming over to chat and distract you a bit. (((HUGS)))
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for the words of support. I am home now on procardia (I think).

Xander is super excited about his brother coming. I don't think he has any idea of how much is life is going to change.

Luckily, the house is pretty clean right now. I went on a cleaning binge this weekend. I think my body was sending me hints that it was done. I will try to get the menfolk to keep it clean.

I do want to take up knitting. I need to have someone bring me supplies. I am working PT from home this week to finish up a project.

The baby won't get steroids. My doctor thinks the risks outweigh the benefits at 34 weeks (Today!!!) but would have recommended them last week. I am not too worried. Xan was born in week 34 and did okay.

Any book recommendations? I live down the street from the library so I can send the husband to stock me up.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    Any book recommendations? I live down the street from the library so I can send the husband to stock me up.

I just read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay for book club and it was fantastic. I cried several times while reading it, and it was a quick read because I couldn't put it down. Short chapters too, which I always prefer.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Dallas/Ft. Worth MetroplexRegistered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice

I like pretty much anything by Jacqueline Carey. Her Kushiel series is really good. The books are pretty big, so they'd keep you occupied! :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    Oh, and the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I never thought I'd be into vampire books or TV shows, but my husband insisted I give True Blood a try and I was hooked - after season 1 I got all of the books out of the library.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Oh, and the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I never thought I'd be into vampire books or TV shows, but my husband insisted I give True Blood a try and I was hooked - after season 1 I got all of the books out of the library.

I second this suggestion. They are fun, funny, and highly entertaining.

You're a lawyer, DA? How about a treatise you own but never find the time to read? Well, maybe if you need help falling asleep that would be a good suggestion.
    The Lovely Bones was a great read. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is proving entertaining. What do you like to read?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

I will read almost anything. I've read The Lovely Bones and the Sookie Stackhouse series. I have Firefly Lane as my next book and put all of the others you all recommended on reserve at the library.

Lolo, that's just a mean suggestion. Mean but a possible effective cure for my insomnia. I was in the middle of preparing to present 4 CLEs next week when all of this happened. I am still getting material together for other people to present. This stuff is boring!

Lolo, that's just a mean suggestion. Mean but a possible effective cure for my insomnia. I was in the middle of preparing to present 4 CLEs next week when all of this happened. I am still getting material together for other people to present. This stuff is boring!

I know. I just bought a book entitled Cross Examination: Science and Techniques. It sounds useful, but unless something unexpected occurs (like an extended bed rest), it is unlikely I will ever read it and certainly not cover to cover.

Well, it's now fall, so you maybe you could also break out Tolstoy? Nothing like Anna Karenina or War and Peace once the weather gets colder. I'm not being sarcastic either -- they are both books that took me awhile to read and required some concentration.

Are you feeling better? Any more contractions since you've been home? I hope you're able to relax some.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    DA, I had no idea you were on bedrest. I'm sorry. It sucks, but whatever it takes to keep the boy safe, right?

It's interesting how some women tend to go early and some women go later. I wondered if this has been studied before.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    lol @ Lolo
    DA...how about some Evanovich?
    I can send you the books if ya want... :blob2:
    War & Peace sounds appealing. It could keep me busy for a little bit.

WileE, I am working on an Evanovich now. I am not a huge fan but her books are mindless.

Medussa, it really is interesting to me how each of us seems to have our set point where I body finally declares "done!"

Small update: I am 35 weeks today or tomorrow. I've made it longer than with Xan so this is a huge deal to me. I may stop taking the Provera today. We have scheduled a c-section for the 14th of next month. That is the day I turn 37 weeks. I'm not as miserable or mopey now. I think having a plan makes me feel better.

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Mindless is good tho, right? :D
    I find myself lol to her stuff & then looking around to see if anyone is looking/watching me...lol
    Yay DA to making it this far!!!! I bet you feel tons better now. I'm sure that was a huge goal for you and it can only get better from here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file