im sad today.

sweetmusic31sweetmusic31 Registered Users Posts: 19
i have been transitioning for about 2 months now, and i have about 2 and a half inches of natural hair. Well, yesterday i got my hair put into kinky twist, and the person who did my hair combed through my thick 4a new growth (ROUGHLY) with a 1cm toothed rat tail comb! i was about to scream! I told her to use a wider toothed comb, and she told me that combing my hair with that tiny comb was "the only way to get all those NAPS out." now my head is super sore, and i need some moral support . lol

Comments

• ShellyBeeShellyBee Registered Users Posts: 67
    Hahahaha, your moral support is here. I went to a braid shop, about three months ago, and the lady did the same exact thing. She didn't make a naps comment though. I swear, I was about to cry...but I toughed it out :cool: I guess the best thing is to just ride out the pain.
    **colored, shoulder length unstretched**
    last relaxer: January 26, 2009
    natural since: March 26, 2010
    transitioned for: 14 months
    4a/3c/3b; 16 & loving the natural me
    I Tweet:http://www.twitter.com/MissChelleBee
  • sweetmusic31sweetmusic31 Registered Users Posts: 19
    lol, im going to try my best!
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    I got braids in July and my experience, though not as bad as yours, made me never want to step foot in another braid shop ever again. The ladies doing my hair were rude & their methods were painful (thank god I had already blow out my new growth before going in. What I can say to you is that in about a week the pain and bad memories go away and you're left witha beautiful head of hair.

Hope this helps!
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• EkaetteEkaette Registered Users Posts: 356
    I know people say not to do this but I have to straighten my hair before going to the braid shop
    I'm not saying use a marcel and get it pin straight
    Just get it straight enough to where it won't hurt to make parts
    I've tried for months and months to get them to be more gentle but it always ends in pain for me and frustration for the braider so I just go through my hair with medium heat and low speed on the blowdryer
    event.png

4b natural
  • lit26lit26 Registered Users Posts: 131
    alot of people are so ignorant about natural hair. I would suggest you learning to do your own hair. I did and i amso happy about it. Check out my fotki/miamelove and look at my kionky twist that i did all by my self. Its so easy to learn. youtube will be you teacher. it was mine!!
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • lit26lit26 Registered Users Posts: 131
    I am thinking about become a hair stylist. i do prettty much everything and now that I am natural, I can understand what naturals go through that way i am nmore gentle. I think all hairstylist should exoperience being natural or at least try to understand it. pray for me because I am not sure if i really want to be a hair stylist full time or not.
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • msmchymsmchy Registered Users Posts: 40
    This is why I have tried to learn how to do my own everything. One day I'll go back to a salon to be pampered, but most just don't appreciate the nap! Aji, why don't you offer to do hair for your co-workers and friends first and that way you can see if you can tolerate constantly being in other people's heads. And you can start building up a clientele!
  • MissCartersCoilsMissCartersCoils Registered Users Posts: 57
    Exactly! This is y I Braid my own hair every time i c natural sisters run to braid shops especially the African ones assuming that they no more about your hair than you do everyone's hair is different that y i don't stress 2 much about hair typing. Furthermore, usually ur edges break off when they do it that way! Its damaging to the hair and our hair is very delicate so it should be treated as such there is no way to " get the naps out" cause that's the way it grows out of the scalp, but feel better!

Deuces:hello2:
    Last Relaxer- 10/2008:confused5:

Decided to go Natural 05/2009 after wearing braids due to damage:angry1:

BC- 06/2009:headbang:

Products For Now:sign9:

Co Wash: V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit

Leave In: TIGI Moisture Maniac

Deep Cond: Elasta QP DPR11(not so much n e more)

Styling: Eco Styler w/ Olive Oil, Smooth n Shine Curl Activator Gel w/Aloe,KCCC, MiraCurl Curling Gelly

-I am turning into a PJ @ least until I find my staples
    http://twitter.com/MsCartersCoils
  • retromariretromari Registered Users Posts: 79
    This happened to me as well when I was transitioning. It actually happened three times! Yep, I was brave (and crazy) enough to return to the same salon to get my hair braided. When I did BC, I noticed that I had split ends, which I ended up having to cut...so be carefully!

Now that I'm completely natural, I'm terrified to step foot in any salon. I feel like once you sit in the salon chair... you're trapped! I remember sitting in the chair in pain while getting my hair braided. I wanted to run like hell out of the salon, but I thought I had to take the pain to achieve the style. :sad5:

I would love to get another set of braids on kinky twists in the future, but NOT until I find a stylist or salon that actually specializes in healthy hair care. It is unnecessary for anyone to be in pain just to achieve a hair style...and it definitely isn't customer focused! *End of rant*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural since May 2009
    Goal: Thick Hair. Healthy Hair. BIG Hair!

The reason I begged my mom for a relaxer back in the 90's:
    PCJ No Lye Relaxer commericals !
  • sweetmusic31sweetmusic31 Registered Users Posts: 19
    *sigh*
    i big chopped last night. so no braids for me for a long time. :-(
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Registered Users Posts: 679
    *sigh*
    i big chopped last night. so no braids for me for a long time. :-(

Congrats!!!!:wav:
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010