Leaving baby

deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
Umm...Bizarre question.

I am in a wedding Sunday. I was originally going to take the baby with us so I could feed her, BUT after talking DH and I have decided to leave her home as to not expose her to so many germs/people...so taking her is not an option.

I will be away from her for around 12 hours. How much BM should I take? I will be able to feed her in the morning before I leave and again at night right before she goes to bed. This would normally not be a problem, BUT the wedding is 3 hours away and she will be with my parents--away from my freezer stash, thus I have to pack and take what we need.

I am taking some formula as a back-up (one of the free sample things from the hospital), just in case I underestimate...

She typically eats every 2 hours in the morning...8am (both sides), 10am (1 side), 12pm (1 side), 2pm(1 side, sometimes both) then naps and eats 6pm (both), 8pm(one, sometimes both) and 10pm (both)

I will get the 8am and the 10pm...but I have 6 feedings in between...I was thinking 18 oz (3 oz per feed) should do it????
58eCm4.png
SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Syracuse, NYRegistered Users Posts: 5,656
    If it were me, I'd probably bring my entire freezer stash. Keep it in a cooler for the drive obviously and have them put some of it in the freezer (so it doesn't thaw and go to waste if they don't need it) but I'd be paranoid of running out.

And don't forget to bring your pump to the wedding! You'll want to pump at her normal nursing times to keep your supply up, relieve engorgement, and prevent leaking.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    Freezer stash is around 200 oz (due to such an over supply in the beginning and pumping every night before bed now that she has stopped waking through the night)...so I will not be taking all of it!

I will have my pump, I have been thinking about it and I am planning on feeding her at 7:45am and then at around 9:45 right before I have to leave, I am going to try to pump between 11:30 and 12:00, b/c the wedding is at 12:30...then after the wedding/pics (2ish) then before the reception (sometime between 4 and 6) and then again sometime during the reception.

Thankfully the bride is great about it all for this wedding!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Syracuse, NYRegistered Users Posts: 5,656
    Oh wow, 200 oz! Anyway, I would still bring way more than you think you'll need and have them keep it in the freezer. If they see they're running low they can take it out to thaw.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Honestly, it sounds like leaving her home and having to keep leaving the festivities to pump every 2 hours, worrying about her, getting engorged (if you're like me, only the baby really relieves that feeling), carrying the pump around at the reception, possibly involving formula etc. would be a LOT more hassle than just taking her and feeding her. And it will be a lot for your parents to have to give a bottle every 2 hours for 12 hours. What exactly are you worried about? Breast milk is the best protection there is against germs, and it sounds like hubby is available to stay with her/take her out if need be and the bride is pretty accomodating. Personally, I would take her no matter what - just my 2 cents. I can't comment on leaving her for 12 hours because to this day I haven't done that. I did find however that when I left J with someone, he never drank as much expressed milk as I thought he would - I guess he didn't like it as much in the bottle.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    A good rule of thumb is an ounce for every hour you are away. That is what Kellymom says about pumping. To be safe, you could double that (or triple, if you are worried), but 12 oz would be a good starting point.

I agree that I would rather just have the baby with me. It sounds like too much trouble. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    There are just to many people there to have me comfortable in having her with me. she has already gotten sick once and I am not going to risk having her get sick again, especially with the H1N1 cases that have been in the area. I also can go a little longer not pumping and if she is hungry while I am getting pics done or in the middle of the ceremony, it is not like I can just stop to feed her, so we would need to bring bottles anyway. He needs will be met much quicker and in a less stressful environment with my parents.

My mom and dad are perfectly capable of taking care of both kids for the day. My parents will have to feed her 4 times...12/2/6 and 8...maybe 10pm if I am not home yet (although I am hoping to be).

I pumped exclusively for 3 months with DS, so lugging the pump around with me for one day is nothing compared to that...pumping relieves engorgement for me, I believe that is due to EPing with DS.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    has the baby had the formula? if she hasn't had it, will she drink it, will she be allergic to it?

have fun and good luck!
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Yes she has had formula before without problems.

The wedding was yesterday, everything went great I took about 30 oz and she drank all but 3-4, and they did not have to use the formula I took for her.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    good to hear that all went well.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file