I just discovered Polenta!

webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
it's such a yummy compliment to foods and can be used in many interesting ways. I purchase one of those pre-made poleta rolls, sliced into little rounds and pan sauteed it in olive oil. It was the perfect compliment to my grilled artichoke chicken and sauteed baby spinach.

if anyone is looking for an alternative to potatoes, rice or pasta try polenta.
hello.world.

Comments

• perfectlyfrizzycurlsperfectlyfrizzycurls Registered Users Posts: 39
    Also known as corn meal mush in the south icon_smile.gif
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    so poletna is bougeois for corn meal mush? say it aint so. there must be a difference.

hello.world.
    One is italian and one is country. icon_razz.gif

I am pretty sure they are made the same way.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    That made no sense. Going to bed.

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Sonrizas in CA ]
  • MadinatMadinat Registered Users Posts: 266
    do you eat it like mashed potatoes or rice? is there a special way to make this so it's not too mushy? and is it expensive? martha has a recipe on her website for this, but she doesn't cook cheap food so i never gave it a second look.
    4a/b
    my hat hair is fabulous and amazing!!
    Polenta, much like cornmeal mush can be formed into a roll and then cut and fried. You serve it like potatoe patties. They are very good icon_smile.gif
    I purchased pree-cooked polenta that comes in a roll that looks like a giant sausage. you just cut it into little rounds and you can pan-fry it or sautee it in whatever. From what I saw on most recipe sites, it takes way too long to cook and if I'm going to put that much labor in food I might as well make a risotto.
    hello.world.
  • MadinatMadinat Registered Users Posts: 266
    mmmm, i'll try that! icon_biggrin.gif
    4a/b
    my hat hair is fabulous and amazing!!
  • ceebeeteecurleeceebeeteecurlee Registered Users Posts: 5
    Been married to an Italin for 21 yrs, known him since I was 16 so that's 31 yrs...So~~ I feel like i can jump in with authority on this one folks!!!

The best, authentic tasting polenta is homemade, trust me, the rolled up sausage type is not what it really tastes like.
    Soft polenta with butter and cheese:
    melt 3 T butter in pan
    add 3 cups water
    1 teas salt
    bring to a boil

Separately Stir together: 1 cup water and 1 cup yellow cornmeal

Gradually stir into boiling water and reduce heat to low. cook stirring constantly with wooden spoon till cornmeal is very thick and leaves side of pan when stirred, about 25 mins.
    Pour onto large platter and top with homemade meat sauce.

Now my husband's family would scrub down the formica table in their 2nd kitchen in the basement (many Italians have a second kitchen in the basement because they can bring in the garden veggies and wash them and cook them down stairs and keep the regular kitchen clean.)
    Anyway, they would scrupulously clean the formica table, spread it with the hot polenta, top it with the hot tomato meat sauce and everyone would sit down with spoon in hand and dig in! What great memories my husband has of this family tradition.
    Oh yeah, don't forget the parmesan cheese to put on top!
    Ciao,
    Cee

icon_smile.gif
    3a curls, med/fineCurl enhancers- Looking for new product now that my hair has gone
    WAVY
    wouldn't it be easier to just have your hubby come and cook for me?
    hello.world.
    sorry Webjockey.~~~

He's kinda busy these days, you know, cooking the pasta sauce, throwing the pizza dough, making the zuppa di clams!

But when you make your polenta and sauce, make sure to put on some Puccini or Verdi in the background to make it an authentic italian experience.

Ciao,
    Cee
    3a curls, med/fineCurl enhancers- Looking for new product now that my hair has gone
    WAVY
    After reading your post I decided to skip lunch and have an early supper. Went to a local italian resturant for some homemade polenta. You're absolutely right - there is no comparison! I still wont make it icon_razz.gif
    hello.world.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I just love polenta and tomato sauce. Starbucks has an awesome Italian Opera album, FYI.
  • naturaltnaturalt Registered Users Posts: 175 Curl Neophyte
    ceebeeteecurlee- Not to guano the thread, but do you have any recipes for homemade pasta? I've been making my own pasta and I'm trying to find the best recipe icon_biggrin.gif.
    cloud9.gif
    None that I have tried, probably because whenever my husband's parents come in,(they are 89 and 85 yrs old, oops I mean young!) we make homemade gnocchi for the holidays. It's never been with a recipe, you know, they have been making homemade gnocchi, which are potato pasta, for their entire married life which it for 66 years! So they do it by handfuls of flour, water, cooked potato etc until it just "feels" right...

But you can go to www.recipesource.com and probably look up a great fresh pasta recipe.

HTH,
    I do have an awesome recipe for Mom's meatballs and sauce that she once entered in a contest and it was printed in the newspaper. It is a wonderful meatball recipe with Pignoli and raisins in the meatballs, absolutely awesome and tastes exactly like Moms...
    Cee
    If it weren't so late I would type it here, but yawn gotta go to sleep, ciao,.

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: ceebeeteecurlee ]
    WAVY
  • naturaltnaturalt Registered Users Posts: 175 Curl Neophyte
    Hahaha, you entice us with a delicious sounding meatball recipe and then go to bed icon_biggrin.gif.

I love gnocchi, but I haven't had it in ages because the store bought ones don't do it justice and I can't seem to get the hang of it at home. I just need to go back to Italy (I lived there for 7 years). I'll come back 10 pounds heavier, lol.
    cloud9.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file