CurlTalk

I think I have lice

AG.AG. Posts: 1,519Registered Users
I have all the symptoms. How do I treat it?

Northern Colombia.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Go to a pharmacy and buy some lice shampoo. Wash all your bedding and vacuum and clean the house really well. That's the only way I've ever had success dealing with lice. Olive oil is a good after conditioner.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    You have 2 choices: use insecticide poison on your head, or you can use henna.

Well, 3 choices...you can shave your head also.
  • AG.AG. Posts: 1,519Registered Users
    use insecticide poison on your head

Really? Because I'm willing to do it right now.

Northern Colombia.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I think she was referring to the lice shampoo in her RCW-ish way. :)
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I've seen kits available in drugstores. Can you ask a pharmacist?
    AG. wrote: »

I meant lice shampoo that you buy in a pharmacy. It's got an insecticide ingredient, and it's poison.

The shampoo isn't too bad. It's the combing out afterwards, especially if you have long hair. Would your mom be helping you? You need to make sure any hats, coats, or items of clothing that have recently touched your body get washed or drycleaned to kill any lice or eggs that may be on them.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikihow.com%2FGet-Rid-of-Lice" class="Popup
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    shave your head ;) worked for me.
  • SilverLockesSilverLockes Posts: 74Registered Users
    I saw a thing on the Today show a few months ago about lice treatments...the new big thing is heat treatments. It is a device that looks like a hair dryer, but set for the specific temp that dries out and kills both lice and their eggs. No poison, no goop. One or two treatments, and you're done.

Here's a link:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpediatrics.aappublications.org%2Fcgi%2Fcontent%2Ffull%2F118%2F5%2F1962" class="Popup

and another:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmedgadget.com%2Farchives%2F2006%2F11%2Fthe_lousebuster.html" class="Popup

Good luck!
    3a on top and sides, 3b underneath in the back, and 2-something in front. What a mess....:dontknow:

No color for 7 years, and loving my silver locks :tongue:
    OBB wrote: »

noooooo, he's been growing out his hair for 1.5 years.
  • melloweermelloweer Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    I agree with RCW.....RID and the such is bad bad stuff. Lice today can be immune to it also. It will make your eyes and scalp sting something fierce.

Find a coconut oil shampoo/conditioner and use that. Coconut oil suffocates lice and their eggs.

You also need a tight comb, nothing like RID gives you. This is a great comb that we have used before....
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.headlice.org%2Flicemeister%2Findex.htm" class="Popup
    Speckla wrote: »

And it has cost me a lot of effort. :lol:

Northern Colombia.
    By the way, my scalp only itches when my hair is dry. I start itching around 4:00 pm. It never itches in the morning.

Northern Colombia.
  • SilverLockesSilverLockes Posts: 74Registered Users
    Have you actually been checked for lice? The itching could be something else, and all this worrying could be for nothing!
    3a on top and sides, 3b underneath in the back, and 2-something in front. What a mess....:dontknow:

No color for 7 years, and loving my silver locks :tongue:
    Also, I started wearing my hair in a ponytail about two weeks ago. Maybe my scalp is still getting used to it.

Have you actually been checked for lice?

No. But, I should.

Northern Colombia.
    Also, I started wearing my hair in a ponytail about two weeks ago. Maybe my scalp is still getting used to it.

Have you actually been checked for lice?

No. But, I should.

You have to actually look for live bugs, and the little silvery-white eggs they lay. The base of the scalp is the preferred spot. Do you have someone to check for you? It's usually easier for someone else to spot them.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Are you sure it's not just a dry, itchy scalp?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Maybe you just have a dry scalp!
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    By the way, my scalp only itches when my hair is dry. I start itching around 4:00 pm. It never itches in the morning.

maybe the lice get hungry around dinner time.

Speckla wrote: »

And it has cost me a lot of effort. :lol:

RCW and Suzen has me seriously considering growing out my hair for the wedding but its been more than 15 years...

RCW and Suzen has me seriously considering growing out my hair for the wedding but its been more than 15 years...

I don't care if you grow it. Just take the damn doo-rag thing off your head for the wedding.
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Have you tried mayonnaise? Apply it all over your hair and scalp, leave in overnight, comb out and shampoo in the morning w/ a harsh sulfate shampoo.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • discolemonadediscolemonade Posts: 214Registered Users
    A friend of mine has three stepdaughters who bring lice with every time they visit. She told me what her & husband do to deal with it.

1) Shampoo with dog/flea shampoo. Link
    2) Coat the hair with Mayonnaise to suffocate the bugs. You have to leave it on for several hours.
    3) Comb out all the bugs & eggs. One of those really fine toothed plastic flea combs would probably work.

I know you are dog lover, so maybe you have some of this stuff lying around the house.
    3a/b? hair, CG off & on since Oct. 08