CurlTalk

ACV rinse - BEFORE or AFTER rinse-out conditioner?

I've seen some people recommend doing an ACV rinse before your rinse out conditioner and some do it after. Which is right? If the ACV rinse is supposed to shut down the cuticle, it makes sense to me that it would go *after* the rinse out conditioner, to seal the moisture in.

Anyone want to chime in? Thanks!

2a/3a, fine, highlights and lowlights, shoulder length. Chicago suburbs. 8-)
Lo-poo: Terax Miele or Collagene, Unite Eurotherapy, CJ Daily Fix
Co-wash: Suave Tangerine or Strawberry
Rinse-out: Terax Crema, TIGI MM or Oatmeal/Honey, Biolage Cond Balm, CJRehab
Leave-In: Beauticurls LI, LOOC, GDLI
Stylers: Terax Silk Foam, KCCC, Komaza CHP, Aquage Megagel, ABBA Pure Finish
SOTC: Tweek,CJ Beyoooticurls Leave-In!
DT: JCWDT, Ouidad, Curl Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FShortstack66%2F" class="Popup

Comments

• shannon35shannon35 Posts: 114Registered Users
    I personally do it after my rinse out cond. After I do the ACV and rinse that out I put my leave in cond.
    comic-p.jpg
    3b curls fine/medium & porous (I think)
    CO-WASH: Suave Naturals coconut
    COND: Matrix Biolage cond. balm or
    AOHR
    ACV rince 1x wk
    LEAVE-IN: Giovanni DLI, Matrix Biolage balm or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    GEL: HE set me up
    SKIN: Purpose gentle cleansing bar
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    I think it makes sense to do it after the last condish rinse, for the same reason you said Short:)
  • jamaicacurljamaicacurl Posts: 130Registered Users
    I've done the ACV rinse twice now. While it does make perfect sense to do it after the rinse out conditioner, that did not work well for me. That's how I did it the first time and my hair was a frizzy mess even though I put in leave in, etc. right after. Maybe there was another factor but it was frizzy like that for a couple of days.

The second time I did it was last week and I did it before my rinse out. I had much better results.
    CG since 8/8/09
    Tried & True products:
    *Suave Tropical Coconut
    *Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
    *GVP Conditioning Balm
    *Taliah Waajid Crinkles & Curls
    *Elasta QP Feels Like Silk gel
    *Coconut Oil
    *EVOO
    [/color]
    Check out my online store of handmade accessories: www.jcurlsthisnthat.etsy.com
    :flower:
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    Yesterday I did my first ACV rinse, and I really liked it. I did the ACV rinse, and then I conditioned my hair. I followed the directions from Sweetpeacurli's Silly Little Site:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.awardspace.com%2Facv.html" class="Popup

My hair didn't frizz afterwards.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • shannon35shannon35 Posts: 114Registered Users
    I'll have to try it this way too and see how it works out. I did notice a bit of frizz doing it the other way.
    comic-p.jpg
    3b curls fine/medium & porous (I think)
    CO-WASH: Suave Naturals coconut
    COND: Matrix Biolage cond. balm or
    AOHR
    ACV rince 1x wk
    LEAVE-IN: Giovanni DLI, Matrix Biolage balm or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    GEL: HE set me up
    SKIN: Purpose gentle cleansing bar
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I'm one of those that will get frizz if I don't condition after the ACV. Some professionals recommend to ACV and then do the condition because ACV can be drying. Others get much better results with it being the last step. I can't do it last heh.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 158Registered Users
    Thanks for your input, everyone!

2a/3a, fine, highlights and lowlights, shoulder length. Chicago suburbs. 8-)
    Lo-poo: Terax Miele or Collagene, Unite Eurotherapy, CJ Daily Fix
    Co-wash: Suave Tangerine or Strawberry
    Rinse-out: Terax Crema, TIGI MM or Oatmeal/Honey, Biolage Cond Balm, CJRehab
    Leave-In: Beauticurls LI, LOOC, GDLI
    Stylers: Terax Silk Foam, KCCC, Komaza CHP, Aquage Megagel, ABBA Pure Finish
    SOTC: Tweek,CJ Beyoooticurls Leave-In!
    DT: JCWDT, Ouidad, Curl Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FShortstack66%2F" class="Popup
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    anniemae wrote: »
    I followed the directions from Sweetpeacurli's Silly Little Site:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.awardspace.com%2Facv.html" class="Popup

My hair didn't frizz afterwards.

Thanks. I never quite knew the proportions. Now I know the proportions and the sequence. :)
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 884Registered Users
    I just realized yesterday that I did a baking soda cleanse and then ACV, then my leave in. . . BUT I just realized that I forgot to rinse out that ACV rinse!!! I'm so embarassed. could this be why my hair is super frizz and nasty??? Here I am going over this in my head because i Had product buildup and thinking why didn't this work on my hair, :pain10: it looks just as frizzy as before. could this be why?? Now just to keep things straight, herbal rinses, like a sage rinse, you wouldn't rinse that out, right? Or am I wrong?? Don't want to mess that one up too. :evil:
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I've always heard you should do the acv rinse last, but I've had much better results from doing it before the condish!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users
    I just realized yesterday that I did a baking soda cleanse and then ACV, then my leave in. . . BUT I just realized that I forgot to rinse out that ACV rinse!!! I'm so embarassed. could this be why my hair is super frizz and nasty??? Here I am going over this in my head because i Had product buildup and thinking why didn't this work on my hair, :pain10: it looks just as frizzy as before. could this be why?? Now just to keep things straight, herbal rinses, like a sage rinse, you wouldn't rinse that out, right? Or am I wrong?? Don't want to mess that one up too. :evil:
    I don't rinse after my ACV and I've not had a problem. I cleanse with baking soda and condish, rinse, put in my RO condish, rinse, then pour the ACV solution over my head. I do not rinse after that. I go straight for my LI condish and stylers.
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users
    I do exactly like Rustina ^. I do baking soda first and rinse that out, condish, rinse that out then pour ACV with warm water over head and step out of shower. I don't rinse the ACV out. I then add my LI and stylers. Leaves my hair shiny and bouncy. I have to deal with build up, hard water and high dews on a regular though.
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • CurlyCoilyMeCurlyCoilyMe Posts: 130Registered Users
    I do it once a month after i have used deep conditioner and rinsed it out, and i dont rinse the avc out. I mix 1tbsp avc for every 2 cups of water. :-)
    It my be worth mentioning that I typically don't separate the two - I do a baking soda/cowash, then I mix my ACV with my conditioner and use it that way.

The not rinsing ACV make sense - a lot of people (including me) have used some ACV in refresher sprays and such!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 884Registered Users
    So I started a new fad!! Just kidding. Good to know my mistake was a good one!!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone use ACV daily?
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    ive just started using ACV in a herb rinse, and i do that as a final rinse, after my leave in. i think the reason y same people do it before there wash out condish, is for the smell, but when ya only put a bit in then the smell goes away alone :)

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • love2bcurlylove2bcurly Posts: 27Registered Users
    the idea that it corrects the pH balance of the hair and also closes the cuticle makes me think it wouldnt do the job if more product was applied and rinsed out after. Im only going by what Ive read..but it seems to make sense
    :wave:
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    I use it! I just did it yesterday.

I do acv as the final rinse since it does close my cuticle.

Oh sheesh, y'all. 'Tis my phone!
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• TammyHTammyH Posts: 90Registered Users
    Ok. So I did my second ACV rinse today and I noticed that after I rinsed my hair felt very soft but when I put in my LI my hair kinda felt like straw. Does this mean I need to change my LI?

My routine was:
    BaSo wash
    Cowash
    Apply RO condish
    RO with coolish water
    ACV rinse
    LI

The LI I use is L'Oreal ever sleek.

sent from my HTC Inspire
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    I have similar hair texture to yours (from what I can tell) and I didn't like the L'Oreal Eversleek. It was too thin and didn't moisturize enough for me. It was like water. :(
    I don't know if the straw-like feeling to your hair was due to the ACV or to the LI, but I never liked how my hair felt after that particular LI. My hair never has issues with an ACV, it always feels soft, springy, extra bouncy and light. I love doing an ACV.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • TammyHTammyH Posts: 90Registered Users
    I know what you mean. It's so thin. I was using the Garnier LI but it has a -cone in it. I want to use drugstore products, but I can't find many -cone free LI's. Unless there is one that I don't know about. Lol

I thought about watering down my co-wash cond and see how that works.

sent from my HTC Inspire
  • germanbellagermanbella Posts: 62Registered Users
    I did mine after my rinse out (Deva one conditoner) then I applied the ACV and after I rinsed that out I put in a leave in (Tresmme Naturals) and some oil to seal and I was fine. Here is the picture to prove it ^^ it may work differently for you try both ways
    3b hair
    normal porosity
    medium density
    fine/med. strands

Co wash: Suave,As I am Co-wash, alba drink me up coconut milk Tresmme Nat., Foxy curls cond.
    DT: Organics Cholesterol, Tea-tree oil, Hot 6 oil, Carols Daughters Khoret Amen, Tui Oil
    LI: ? Vo5 Coconut
    Style: Ecostyler (HG?)
    Oils: Vitamin E, Olive Oil, Tui Oil
    www.iherb.com GDF395 is worth up to $10.00 off any order by a first-time customer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3/20/2013
  • TartNTangyTartNTangy Posts: 53Registered Users
    Does it matter what kind of vinegar you use? I have ACV (cheapo kind from Lucky's) and white vinegar.
    -2b waist-length hair (ringlets in the front and canopy, straighter under-layer)
    -Dense head of med-coarse strands
    -Low
    porosity
    I think ACV is best, but white works, too. Just dilute it even more than ACV.

Btw, I put in my RO, leave it for a few minutes, then add a little more RO with ACV in it, comb through and rinse.

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • Wavy_Girl1116Wavy_Girl1116 Posts: 209Registered Users
    I do my AVC rinse after my RO and before my leave in. Works great!!
    Type- 2a
    Texture- Fine
    Porosity- Normal
    Elastisity- Normal
    Density- Medium

CO- Vo5 kiwi lime squeeze, various sauve conditioners, loreal evercurl cleansing co.
    Style- beautiful curls wave enhancing leave-in, pure and clean gel, Shea moisture smoothie
    Techniques- plopping
    CG since- Jan. 15th 2013
    Myrna wrote: »
    Does anyone use ACV daily?
    I do, I haven't had any ill affect from it.
    Type- 2a
    Texture- Fine
    Porosity- Normal
    Elastisity- Normal
    Density- Medium

CO- Vo5 kiwi lime squeeze, various sauve conditioners, loreal evercurl cleansing co.
    Style- beautiful curls wave enhancing leave-in, pure and clean gel, Shea moisture smoothie
    Techniques- plopping
    CG since- Jan. 15th 2013
  • TartNTangyTartNTangy Posts: 53Registered Users
    Thanks, Jas!
    -2b waist-length hair (ringlets in the front and canopy, straighter under-layer)
    -Dense head of med-coarse strands
    -Low
    porosity
    TammyH wrote: »
    I know what you mean. It's so thin. I was using the Garnier LI but it has a -cone in it. I want to use drugstore products, but I can't find many -cone free LI's. Unless there is one that I don't know about. Lol

I thought about watering down my co-wash cond and see how that works.

sent from my HTC Inspire
    I use my sauve naturals co wash as my LI and it works great! No need to water down, and I have fine hair.
    Type- 2a
    Texture- Fine
    Porosity- Normal
    Elastisity- Normal
    Density- Medium

Techniques- plopping
    CG since- Jan. 15th 2013
  • ShelbyreginaaaShelbyreginaaa Posts: 21Registered Users
    I do my ACV rinse before Doing anything.. In case the ACV rinse smell decides it wants to linger on my hair