Protective Styling Challenge

Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Is anyone interested in doing a protective styling challenge for this fall/ winter?

Rules:
DT at least once per week
braids/ twist/ bantu knots/ buns or any other protective style for at least 5 days per week
check in at least once per week

start: Oct 1st 2009
end: March 30th 2010
confused curls
addicted to henna

Fotki

Comments

• HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm very interested b/c my hair is in the fragile, transitioning stage. I also live in the Midwest where the winters are brutal, so I think protective styling is important. My go-to protective style is the braided bun...(though I may switch it up a bit :))

eventpng
  • eyesthatlieeyesthatlie Posts: 261Registered Users
    I definitely want to do this. Here's what I'm basically going to do:

Monday thru Friday - Bun
    Friday night - DT, twists
    Saturday-Monday - twistout

Pretty simple.
  • kalisundertow87kalisundertow87 Posts: 7Registered Users
    Ok, soooo I would love to do this because I live in MAINE(nuff said lol), but I have a question:

1)What is DT???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:icescream:***If Aishwarya can do it, so can I!***:icescream:

Hair type 3a-3b
    Currently using:
    Dr. Miracle's Hot Gro Hair & Scalp Treatment Conditioner
    Got 2 B Styletini 24 hr. Hair Strengthener
    Garnier Fructis Long and Strong Conditioner
    Mayo on sundays!

Going for small of back and beyond!! :angel9:

http://members.fotki.com/kalisundertow87/

http://journals.fotki.com/kalisundertow87/i-have-a-rapunzel-complex/
    Deep treatment. Moisture, protein, etc..
  • ~LooseCurls~~LooseCurls~ Posts: 13Registered Users
    Count me in, I've been wearing my hair in a french bun for the past month and got a whole inch of hair growth and no splits! =O It's making my hair growth challenge a breeze. Not to mention that I live in a desert so protective styles is a must!
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm looking forward to this challenge. I think this challenge will help me stay on point with the other things I am challenging myself to do.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    :hello1:Me me me!!! I'm definitely in. I will be in box braids (with extensions). I'm putting in a new set this weekend so I'll start a little early. This is exciting :D

Here's what I'll be doing
    Wash and condition braids and scalp once a week with shampoo bar/diluted shampoo and diluted conditioner
    DT with my steamer once a week
    Spray everyday with my leave-in/water/JBCO mix!
    Eat healthy and take my multi and hair supplement :)

Hoping to grow and retain at least 3 inches!!!!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I would love to join but all I can do is a side braid and pig tail braids...buns look horrible on me. I suck at styling hair..:?

Buns look horrible on me because I have like chubby cheeks and ALSO pig tails make me look like baby..again becuase of my cheeks.

I've tried Google-ing updos with curly hair but I always get terrible search results.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    I've already started my own castor oil/protective styling challenge!

I'm hoping to do extensions until June. This will be great for support, because I was doubting myself.

I will:
    Wash and condition biweekly ( I can't do 1x a week, sorry :( )
    Apply castor oil to scalp and hair 2x a week
    Keep each set in for at LEAST 6 weeks (I'm on my sixth week right now and SEARCHING for a braider!)
    I will check in on Sundays

My goal is to retain my usual 1/4 inch per month (although I think that it may be getting closer to 1/2 inch per month :) )
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • miranda.jaleiisamiranda.jaleiisa Posts: 6Registered Users
    yess iwould love to joinnn :)
  • giegie Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Novice
    This is the first challenge that I have entered.

I'm anticipating the time saved, the product saved, and most importantly the ends of my hair saved from the arid, Rocky Mountain, winter air.

From October 1st 2009 to March 30th 2010 I will:
    • Henna once per week
    • Apply castor oil or hemp seed butter twice per week
    • Bun for at least five days per week
    • Check in at least once per week
    Thank you for coordinating this.
    3c or OS, fine, spongy,SL
    Granier Fructis Shampoo (mo. post henna)
    Vo5 Vanilla Tea Rinsing Conditioner,
    Jessicurl Too Shea, and Confident Coils (post WDT)
    KCCC styler only on wet hair
    Banding with silk scrunchies (nightly)
    JBCO Sealer

My goodness, I just realized I am a PJ

• Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i"m excited ladies our challenge starts on Thursday.
    My Weekly Routine:
    pre-poo with essential oils
    co-wash weekly
    dt weekly
    acv rinse
    henna weekly (I just bought a kilo for $38)
    apply leave-in
    milk
    style in twist (leave in for 2+ weeks)

Daily:
    Spritz with glycerin, rose water herb mix
    Coat with EVOO, Jojoba, Castor oils mix
    Finish with shea or KBB honey oatmeal hair butter
    And baggy treatment.

I hope I can keep this up until at least dec.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    I think I'm going to officially start this on Friday. I have a reallyyyy busy day tomorrow and there were things I wanted to do before getting started..

1. Use my denman for the last time. I'm totally addicted to it and I think it's doing more harm than good.
    2. Give myself a much needed trim. I seriously need it.
    3. Take a starting pic.
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in. My hair is a protective style 99% of the time but I rarely do dt's anymore because Im lazy. I plan on getting twist extensions this month, similar to these.

My game plan:

-DT once a week w/ AO conditioners
    -Moisturize daily w/ S-Curl activator or Quemet and seal w/ castor oil.
    -Oil my scalp w/ Moe Grow Hair mix: Castor Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, and Horsetail Herbs.
    -Scalp cleansers w/ Bhringraj powder
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • alidanalidan Posts: 111Registered Users
    I am in the 7th month of my transition and I bought 2 half wigs to protect my hair this winter and I am also planning to braid my hair. I am all for protecting my baby!!:toothy4:
    Rock your own style, dance to your own beat
    BC'ed on 12/19/09, transitioned 9 month 12 days and loving every Minute.
    Products LOVES:
    SheaMoisture CES, Ecostyle OO, Long Aid gel, castor, Olive & jojoba oil, Shea butter, V05 Strawberry, Cream Of Nature Argan Oil treatment, Crece Pelo, Silicon Mix, NuNATT, Karite masque.

Products lines I would love to try: Miss Jessie's, KBB , Qhemets and Hairveda.

http://public.fotki.com/Antiguancurlygirl
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    The box braids aren’t working for me, because they take way too long to do and I just don’t have the time to constantly redo them. So, I'm going to go back to twisting my own hair. I am just a little worried that I will once again get tired of twisting weekly. We will see what happens, but I am DETERMINED to do protective styling until my hair grows out some more.

I will be twisting my own hair and following these rules:
    Oil scalp with Castor oil 2x weekly
    DC weekly (moisture)
    Re-twist weekly
    Protein Treatment every 6 weeks or as needed
    Shampoo as needed
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • Mamacurl3Mamacurl3 Posts: 1,559Registered Users
    can we get some photos of protective styles please?
    I usually wear my hair up in a pony tail :gasp: I'll try bunning it, but would like other options. thanks :)
    Type: 3a/3b, fine-medium
    Cleanse: hg:whispering windz farm jar soaps,
    Moisture/Co rinse: GVP conditioning balm
    DT: Jessicurl's dt
    Leave in: KCKT
    Definition: kccc
    Hold: rotating: gvp liquid scuplting gel
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    http://s722.photobucket.com/albums/ww223/mamacurl7/
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."
    Traveling? http://katiebutton.rovia.com/
    @mamacurl3: I really like the Southern Tease bun, Im sure it would be really cute on curly hair.

ETA

I just went through your album and you and your babies are gorgeous. I love the picture of the little girls whose eyes match her hair. I also really love the mom tat on your side, its adorable.
    I hope these can be of help to some of you.

14064.jpg

Here is a french braid bun. Seems simple enough..

100_4867.JPG

Braids into a bun..

IMG_0421.JPG

I like messy, hippyish styles like this..

braids6.jpg

back-view-braided-bun_fs.jpg

This is great since it hides the ends.

IMG_0264.JPG

Chopsticks..
    3913775826_a6dca376e1.jpg

I've tried this one before, but I needed a crap load of bobby pins!

DSCF4060.jpg

Twists.
    twistdone1.jpg

I reallyyyy wish this was a protective style because I'm lazy and I've basically been throwing my hair into a beanie all week. Can anyone tell me how damaging this it? I don't want to stop. :(

LLNBEPES89_Erin_Wasson_x_RVCA_Backstage_Spring_2010_MBFW_bEteFvmd5hxl.jpg

I reallyyyy wish this was a protective style because I'm lazy and I've basically been throwing my hair into a beanie all week. Can anyone tell me how damaging this it? I don't want to stop. :(

Some women throw a satin bonnet on and then put the beanie on top that way the cotton/wool fabric doesn't rub against their hair. Just be careful about wearing your hat along your hairline.
  • MissConstruedMissConstrued Posts: 323Registered Users
    I've been off the map for a while but I'd love to join. For the past 4 months I've been using mostly just Herbal Essence on my hair. I'm going to buy some essential oils today and some satin hair ties so I can bun my hair often. Routine plan below:

M-F: CO concoction, EO ends, Bun
    Sat: 2 French braids, EO ends
    Sun: Wash, DT

I will make a new album in my Fotki to show progress soon!!!!
    "The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."

Hair type: 3C
    I am a serial cutter :help:
    thanks Stephanie :love4:. I'm pretty smitten with my babies (just added some more curly cutie pix, they're getting so big so fast!), I really like the southern tease bun, I'll have to work on that. My hair doesn't really look that good pulled back for some reason, so I tend to go for a looser messier look. I'll have to try some of the others. Is a protective style basically to just have it up and ends covered/protected?
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
    "My father says almost the whole world's asleep...He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Some women throw a satin bonnet on and then put the beanie on top that way the cotton/wool fabric doesn't rub against their hair. Just be careful about wearing your hat along your hairline.

Thanks Stephanie! I think this weekend I'm going to try and sew satin fabric along the inside of my hat.
    Mamacurl3 wrote: »
    thanks Stephanie :love4:. I'm pretty smitten with my babies (just added some more curly cutie pix, they're getting so big so fast!), I really like the southern tease bun, I'll have to work on that. My hair doesn't really look that good pulled back for some reason, so I tend to go for a looser messier look. I'll have to try some of the others. Is a protective style basically to just have it up and ends covered/protected?

Yeah, that's basically all it is, anything that keeps the ends of your hair from rubbing against your clothes. Some people consider protective styles to also be anything that doesn't require constant manipulation which is why buns, twists, and braids are so popular.
    I've always loved this hairsyle, maybe its the attitude of the model but I really want to try this style. It would look better on looser curls like yours though: autumn-sidebraid_full.jpg
    Mamacurl3 wrote: »

Yeah, that's basically all it is, anything that keeps the ends of your from rubbing against your clothes. Some people consider protective styles to also be anything that doesn't require constant manipulation which is why buns, twists, and braids are so popular.
    I've always loved this hairsyle, maybe its the attitude of the model but I really want to try this style. It would look better on looser curls like yours though: autumn-sidebraid_full.jpg

this style and the southern tease bun will look cute on curls regardless.

On another note I'm excited since cutting my hair it has grown long enough to french braid.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    I've been trying the southern tease, not sure my curls underneath are too tight (more 3b or some c's) for it or now, doesn't seem to work. I'll just have to keep practicing. I like the twists in the last pic you posted too.
    ACV rinse bi-weekly
  • mandatoryfunmandatoryfun Posts: 878Registered Users
    Hmm, I might like to get in on this (if you don't mind somebody joining a little bit late). I've been trying to grow my hair out for a while, but it's very fine and I get split ends so easily. >:( I don't like wearing my hair up, but I'm prepared to do it if it means I might see growth more quickly...

Can someone recommend a cheap moisturizing DT? Right now I'm thinking of EVOO, but it can make my hair kind of greasy. My hair is kind of protein sensitive.
    CG since 07/26/09
    Hmm, I might like to get in on this (if you don't mind somebody joining a little bit late). I've been trying to grow my hair out for a while, but it's very fine and I get split ends so easily. >:( I don't like wearing my hair up, but I'm prepared to do it if it means I might see growth more quickly...

Can someone recommend a cheap moisturizing DT? Right now I'm thinking of EVOO, but it can make my hair kind of greasy. My hair is kind of protein sensitive.

I really liked Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle conditioner for my hair. I have course 4b hair that is prone to breakage and tangles and this conditioner provided a lot of moisture and slip. You can find Aussie at almost any drugstore and/or supermarket for around 4 bucks. Yes to Carrots also makes a really good hair mask, you say your hair is shoulder length and a little of this condiitioner goes a long way so you should get quite a few uses out of the 8oz jar if you're going to use it strictly for dt's and not co-washes.
    Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose is another good moisturizing dt. An 11oz bottle costs around 8 bucks at the vitamin shoppe but the conditioner is really thick and you can cut it w/ water if you want to thin it out and have it last longer.
  • HomeGrownHairGirlHomeGrownHairGirl Posts: 296Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi,

This week I mainly wore an afro puff, drawstring ponytail (my real hair was in a bun underneath). A couple of days I wore the braided bun style that's in my fotki.

On Wed., I washed and deep conditioned w/Queen Helene Super Cholesterol. I plan on washing tomorrow and DT-ing with the Super Cholesterol again...

HGHG

eventpng
    I just removed my week old twist, and used that opportunity to play with some protective styles (updated in my fotki). I then did a pre-poo with jojoba, grape seed, castor oils and then detangled with the oils and paddle brush (dry). OMG what a difference my hair was so soft and detangled so easily, most of my shed hair was out. I will get the rest out when I do my final condition with hehh. Currently poo'ing with AOHSR & Garlic conditioner. And then I will twist accordingly.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file