What to add to henna hair dye mix ?

carberrycarberry Registered Users Posts: 74
i would like the end result to be more red-orange and not too drying please !~ thank youuu
2a/f/miii/normal porosity
wavy, hip length, very thick
hair length journey:
december '08 12 inches long, shoulder
june '12 31 inches long, hip
summer 2012 goal: in between hip and tailbone
Ultimate goal: tailbone or or maybe classic length
my hair loves henna !

:love5:

event.png

Comments

• curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Henna and haircolor do not mix. Your hair will smoke off your head with the combo. There are some hennas you can use and color but not together. Look up the henna thread for more info.
    Cynthia
  • Nyla-CoilsNyla-Coils Registered Users Posts: 83
    I went into my local gas station- owned by an Indian family- She told me that she mixes her henna with yogurt. Her hair was the prettiest reddish- auburn color!

To the prev poster- I have used henna in my hair after coloring- my hair didnt fall out- However, no 2 heads are the same.
    I love my curls!
  • curlprocurlpro Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Nyla-Coils wrote: »
    I went into my local gas station- owned by an Indian family- She told me that she mixes her henna with yogurt. Her hair was the prettiest reddish- auburn color!

To the prev poster- I have used henna in my hair after coloring- my hair didnt fall out- However, no 2 heads are the same.

After with non-metalic henna is fine. I thought she was talking about mixing them in the same bottle together.
    Cynthia
  • carberrycarberry Registered Users Posts: 74
    i'm not going to colour my hair with chemical hair dye i said i was going to dye it with henna hair dye

and thanks nyla coils i will try it :-)
    hair length journey:
    my hair loves henna !

event.png

• QueenBeeQueenBee Registered Users Posts: 8
    Hello everyone, this is my first post to naturally curly.
    I'm a long suffering 2b, with hard water, hoping to defrizz.

I've done alot of henna experimentation, some... not so pretty! But now I've got a routine down.

The typical add-in to make henna results not so orange is indigo. If your hair is blonde and you want orange red, you may not need indigo. However, if your hair is white, you will probably want some indigo.

Your final color will depend on lots of things: what color your hair is now, how much henna and how much (if any) indigo you use, how strong it is, how long you leave it on, how many coats of henna you have on... In other words... Save some hair from your wide toothed comb or the sink or whatever, and experiment *a lot* before you use it on your head. Henna is permanent.

Some people hit their perfect red color only after the 2nd or 3rd application.

My hair used to be light brown with blond streaks. Now it is light brown with white streaks. To approximate my old color, I've settled down with a henna "gloss" routine, and have used it for many years. My henna gloss is a dilute solution containing 2 teaspoons of body quality henna and 2 teaspoons of indigo. I use rice flour and water as a binder, but a person could use conditioner or yogurt or clear henna for a gloss binder. I do it monthly.

I only apply the color to my roots, so that my ends do not become darker and darker (because henna is permanent).

I'm starting to think that I need to whip up a double batch every now and then and color the whole length -- to renew my color. This will be my next experiment.

I get henna, indigo and information at:
    www.hennaforhair.com

There are lots of pictures there, and you can decide upon a mix that would be right for you.

Queenbee
    uhhhh i want an orange colour . i don't want a dark purplish colour
    hair length journey:
    my hair loves henna !

event.png

• xtremelyperfectxtremelyperfect Registered Users Posts: 177
    I have yet to henna but plan on doing it soon. I've found Henna For Hair through Curly Nikki's website and it seems to be useful so you might want to check it out. At the top there are basic henna recipes and if you scroll down people have submitted their personal recipes with color results! Good luck!
    life has no limitations, except the ones you make.
    Message me for my Tumblr.
    Follow me on Twitter: @xtremelyperfect
    My Fotki Page is here!

event.png

comic-s.jpg

bdocks11.gif
    i've made some questions ! :)

1. i have auburn/medium brown hair with red highlights (natural) how will the colour turn out ? i have been seeing a lot of dark purplish as a result of henna and i don't want dark colour .

2. does henna really loosen curl pattern ? i don't really have curls, more like loose waves so i am wondering .

3. does it dry out your hair ? if so , what can i add to my mix to condition my hair ?

4. i dyed my hair dark brown with a chemical dye near the end of december of 08 . is henna safe to use now ??

5. how many grams of henna will i need for thick , mid-back length hair ?
    hair length journey:
    my hair loves henna !

event.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    i've made some questions ! :)

1. i have auburn/medium brown hair with red highlights (natural) how will the colour turn out ? i have been seeing a lot of dark purplish as a result of henna and i don't want dark colour .

That's about my natural color. And the answer is no. Not if you just use regular henna and no indigo mixed with it. I've heard tell of some people added paprika or cinnamon to get a deeper red. I'm not sure if it's true and the spices are gritty and harder to get out.

2. does henna really loosen curl pattern ? i don't really have curls, more like loose waves so i am wondering .

My curls are the same.

3. does it dry out your hair ? if so , what can i add to my mix to condition my hair ?

No. It does not dry it out. I added lemon juice to mine (you need something acidity so it'll start to release) and it wasn't dry.

4. i dyed my hair dark brown with a chemical dye near the end of december of 08 . is henna safe to use now ??

It is not if you used a metallic dye. That will ruin your hair. Test a strand first to make sure it won't do anything.

5. how many grams of henna will i need for thick , mid-back length hair ?

My hair is APL dry and BSL when wet/stretched and medium thickness. 100 grams was plenty for me. You'd probably need about 300 grams. You can always freeze any that you don't use.
  • lshinylshiny Registered Users Posts: 9
    Carberry:
    Go to www.hennaforhair.com.

This is a great website, and looking through the site will answer most, if not all, of your questions. They have a forum, which is monitored ALOT. I've seen questions answered within minutes.

Sounds like straight henna on your hair would be best for what you want, but the site has a chart that compares, in general, what color you are now, and what affect henna and other natural dyes will turn your color to. Also has how much to buy for different hair lengths.

Pure body art henna will not be harmful on chemically treated hair. But get the pure body art henna, not commercial henna products in a store or beauty supply place. Those can be disastrous with chemically treated hair. That site sells the good stuff, and also explains what can happen with the other stuff and why.

Have fun going chemical free!
    3b
    still experimenting
    co-wash: leftover Brocato Vibracolor conditioner
    conditioner: Suave Naturals Strawberry
    finishing: FOTE gel
    Henna rocks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file