how much Robert Craig color needed for entire head

curly01curly01 Registered Users Posts: 284 Curl Neophyte
Ok, so after doing a couple strand tests, I finally know what color I want to use with RC color. However, now I'm not sure if I have enough to do it w/o ordering another box!

Will 2 1/2 oz be enough for shoulder length hair, or should I get another box to be safe?I'll be doing the roots, and then adding it to the rest of my hair for the final 10-15 mins, but I'm afraid I'll run out!
I'm going with #8 (even though my hair is dk brown). I have a box of #7 that I could add to it, but I haven't tried that combo and I'm not sure how that would turn out.
The original combo that Karin suggested was 8 and 5, but that's too dark, even when mixed together. I tried it 1/2 and 1/2, but prefer the 8 on its own.

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Those are the 2 colors I use! I use the #8 for roots (darker) and #7 to refresh, or sometimes roots. You could do your roots with the #8, then use the #7 for the length. It is actually a lighter shade so it would come out a little lighter (more natural anyway, ends are always lighter than roots). The only difference is that it has a gold base, not neutral, so it may look a tiny warmer (perfect for fall!).

You could always do a little strand test on the length to see, but I don't think you'd be disappointed. :)

Otherwise, it might not be enough. I guess you can do the roots, being sure to give them a nice thick coating, and if you have at least 1/2 left you could try just that. But I usually use 2 boxes when I'm doing roots and full length. LMK what you do. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curly01curly01 Registered Users Posts: 284 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the help!!
    What about mixing 7 and 8 for everything - roots and ends, would that work? (I have about 3/4 of the 8 left and a full 7).
    I could get at least 5 oz of the mixed mousse with that I think.
    You could do that, but you'll have to split 1/2 of each bottle to mix into a new applicator bottle. You can't put 2 bottles' worth in one bottle (not enough room for mousse expansion). You can do a rough estimate and split it, then use one bottle to do roots, wait to mix the second bottle until you are ready for the ends. :)

LMK how it comes out! And pics would be nice. ;)

This reminds me, I need to order more Color! :eek:
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    I'd get 2 boxes just in case.
    Last time, I used 2 boxes (lots of hair, above bra strap) and had some left over. Other times, I've used 1 box and it was enough.
  • curly01curly01 Registered Users Posts: 284 Curl Neophyte
    I went ahead and did 8 on the roots and 7 on the rest.
    I was concerned that it would look like 2 different colors, but it doesn't at all. The 7 was just fine to freshen up the already colored hair. My hair absorbs color very quickly - except the grays!
    I ordered another box of 8 to re-do the hairline grays since they didn't all get covered. It may have been because I was trying to use the 8 too sparingly so I didn't run out.
    I'll do a touch-up with a slightly more concentrated mix and leave it on for 60 mins. (I did 60 min last time too, but it didn't stay wet the entire time, so I think it stopped processing at some point) I haven't found anything yet that covers my grays though! The home semi-perm colors and the salon demi-perm colors haven't been able to!
    My hair does not look 2-tone with that combo either. :)
    Did you put a plastic cap over your hair? It helps keep it from drying out. I get the same problem, if I don't cover my hair, it dries out and doesn't cover the gray well. I keep an extra box and mix enough for the strand test for covering the hairline when it's visible in a couple of weeks (grows too fast!) :p

I'm glad the colors came out well. :) Pics??? :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file