CurlTalk

Bad reaction to ACV rinse?

Does this happen to anyone else? Whenever I do an ACV rinse my hair gets poofy and frizzy. No matter how much vinegar I use, it will happen. What I usually do is: low-poo, DT, ACV rinse. However, even when I didn't poo and just co-washed, DT, and ACV the results were still the same.
3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
<3 Honey rinses

Comments

  • GillsGills Posts: 77Registered Users
    Oh gosh, yes. I only tried it once, with a really low concentration of ACV, and my hair's reaction was so bad that I've not tried it since. Just like you, my hair got poofy and frizzy. Very disappointing.
    Hair type: 3a, medium porosity (??), medium texture
    Final sulfate wash: April 14, 2009
    Co-wash: Suave Pomegranate
    Conditioner: GVPCB, AOHR, Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Products: Experimenting with KCKT and KCCC

    My hair loves:
    Olive oil
    LVPNG
    ...still trying to figure out what else!

    My hair hates:
    ACV
    Biotera Curl Creme (?)
    A-cone
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    loto wrote: »
    Does this happen to anyone else? Whenever I do an ACV rinse my hair gets poofy and frizzy. No matter how much vinegar I use, it will happen. What I usually do is: low-poo, DT, ACV rinse. However, even when I didn't poo and just co-washed, DT, and ACV the results were still the same.
    How much vinegar did you use? 1-2 TBLs (max) in 2 cups of water should be fine. Any more and I can't guarantee it wouldn't dry out your hair.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG


    Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    The more vinegar the more drying. The trick is to balence it! but also...

    There is a blog called The Natural Haven and she posted about ACV rinses and how they dont really work. You should check it out!
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

    ~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

    ~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    mpgirl wrote: »
    loto wrote: »
    Does this happen to anyone else? Whenever I do an ACV rinse my hair gets poofy and frizzy. No matter how much vinegar I use, it will happen. What I usually do is: low-poo, DT, ACV rinse. However, even when I didn't poo and just co-washed, DT, and ACV the results were still the same.
    How much vinegar did you use? 1-2 TBLs (max) in 2 cups of water should be fine. Any more and I can't guarantee it wouldn't dry out your hair.

    Yes, that's exactly the measure I've used (I've alternated between 1 and 2). However, the honeygar rinse I did using 4tbls vinegar 2tbls honey to two cups of water after reading someone here uses this mix.

    No matter what, I always get the same results. My hair is veeeeery soft and looks hydrated, but so poofy :/
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    I just did my first ACV rinse today. I really liked it. However, I did mine in a different order. After I did the ACV rinse, I then conditioned my hair. I followed the directions from Sweetpeacurli's Silly Little Site:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.awardspace.com%2Facv.html" class="Popup
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    anniemae wrote: »
    I just did my first ACV rinse today. I really liked it. However, I did mine in a different order. After I did the ACV rinse, I then conditioned my hair. I followed the directions from Sweetpeacurli's Silly Little Site:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthycurls.awardspace.com%2Facv.html" class="Popup

    I've tried it before conditioning as well:(
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    How often to you do the rinse? If you do it too often it may be drying out your hair. And 1 - 2 tb max is probably the right amount of vinegar for each cup of water.

    I do an ACV rinse when I get buildup and because I have porous hair. It usually makes my hair less frizzy. I also co-wash, ACV, mini DT/rinse out. This usually works well.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • lotoloto Posts: 133Registered Users
    I don't do it within specific period of time, really. However, I make sure at least two weeks have passed since my last one to do another one. The weird thing is, in between ACV rinses when I wash my hair it's... normal, as opposed to the weirdness that takes place when I rinse.
    3A: med/coarse texture; high porosity
    <3 Honey rinses