It happened again - stylist gone rogue

zingarinazingarina Registered Users Posts: 11
I posted a few months ago about my anger towards stylists when you ask for a trim and they proceed to cut off several inches. I've been quite careful this past year when I visit salons to do the "I want half inch trim! JUST half inch!!! Half inch, you got that?" in a slightly threatening voice. I don't like treating stylists like that; I'm a very sweet person by nature, but I got burned too many times.

So I've been going for regular trims every two months, have been following the naturally curly method for almost 6 months, my hair is in great condition. I was in a rush (busy summer) and couldn't make it to the salon I usually go to (Civello in Toronto) and opted for one closer to home (En Vogue). I asked for a half trim, politely, but only repeated myself twice and in a normal tone of voice. The stylist (Milka) took a personal call on her cell half way through the cut, and I looked down to see a 2-3 inch lock on my lap, and noticed that although wet, my hair looked too short. I told her not to cut it too short at that point but it was too late. I had to go out that night and needed styling so I continued to be polite, and paid for the haircut. Later, when I washed my hair out, I noticed that it was A LOT shorter and noticably shorter on one side.

All my work in caring for my hair and growing it long was wasted by that idiot stylist.

My question is... once the damage is done, how do you deal with the anger constructively? I called the salon to speak with her. She totally denied that she had overcut my hair (lie, I saw the 2-3 inch lock on my lap, I see the difference in pictures) and used the excuse that I was only complaining a week later. The fact of the matter is, I waited to complain because I didn't know what to say. Once too much hair is cut; there is nothing you can do. They can correct colour somewhat, but they can't grow you extra hair.

Milka responded in the way that typical a*holes respond when called out on their wrongs; she denied, was contemptuous, and unwilling to listen. I realized I was not going to get anywhere by talking to her. So I ended the phone call by screaming "When someone asks for half an inch, you CUT HALF AN INCH!!!" and hung up the phone; at least trying to prevent some other client from going through what I went through. I also posted a couple reviews online.

I've talked to friends who've been through similar experiences; and we're always very polite when it happens, and pay up. I think this politeness is creating bad service. If no one calls out stylists on their ****ty work, they just keep doing it.

So my 2nd question is, how to effectively communicate with a salon/stylist when they've ****ed up your hair?

Comments

• OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Registered Users Posts: 1,767
    zingarina wrote: »
    I posted a few months ago about my anger towards stylists when you ask for a trim and they proceed to cut off several inches. I've been quite careful this past year when I visit salons to do the "I want half inch trim! JUST half inch!!! Half inch, you got that?" in a slightly threatening voice. I don't like treating stylists like that; I'm a very sweet person by nature, but I got burned too many times.

So I've been going for regular trims every two months, have been following the naturally curly method for almost 6 months, my hair is in great condition. I was in a rush (busy summer) and couldn't make it to the salon I usually go to (Civello in Toronto) and opted for one closer to home (En Vogue). I asked for a half trim, politely, but only repeated myself twice and in a normal tone of voice. The stylist (Milka) took a personal call on her cell half way through the cut, and I looked down to see a 2-3 inch lock on my lap, and noticed that although wet, my hair looked too short. I told her not to cut it too short at that point but it was too late. I had to go out that night and needed styling so I continued to be polite, and paid for the haircut. Later, when I washed my hair out, I noticed that it was A LOT shorter and noticably shorter on one side.

All my work in caring for my hair and growing it long was wasted by that idiot stylist.

My question is... once the damage is done, how do you deal with the anger constructively? I called the salon to speak with her. She totally denied that she had overcut my hair (lie, I saw the 2-3 inch lock on my lap, I see the difference in pictures) and used the excuse that I was only complaining a week later. The fact of the matter is, I waited to complain because I didn't know what to say. Once too much hair is cut; there is nothing you can do. They can correct colour somewhat, but they can't grow you extra hair.

Milka responded in the way that typical a*holes respond when called out on their wrongs; she denied, was contemptuous, and unwilling to listen. I realized I was not going to get anywhere by talking to her. So I ended the phone call by screaming "When someone asks for half an inch, you CUT HALF AN INCH!!!" and hung up the phone; at least trying to prevent some other client from going through what I went through. I also posted a couple reviews online.

I've talked to friends who've been through similar experiences; and we're always very polite when it happens, and pay up. I think this politeness is creating bad service. If no one calls out stylists on their ****ty work, they just keep doing it.

So my 2nd question is, how to effectively communicate with a salon/stylist when they've ****ed up your hair?

I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me this past June. I went in for a trim and the lady gave me a buzz cut in the back. And I felt the same way as you - once it's cut, it's not like you can glue it back on - so, I didn't say anything right then and there.

I did call her the next day (it was too late to call her that night), and told her how angry I was about the cut. I explained to her again, that I only wanted a trim and that I was upset that she chose to "scalp" me. She acknowledged that I did tell her I only wanted a trim, but that it was her "professional opinion" that I needed the cut her gave me, and said that it was particularly important that she cut my hair with way if I was trying to grow my hair out:confused4:. She then told me, I'd be thanking her in three months, and offered to give me $10 off my next visit:tongue10:.

Yeah, I know - it sounds like a fiction novel, right? But no, true story.

Time helps with the irritation. I still get really ticked off when I think about it, but I try to remind myself that there's not much I can do about it now, and that staying angry only hurts me, not her.

As to your second question, it sounds like you did the best you could to try to explain to her that what she did was wrong. She just didn't want to acknowledge the fact that she f'd up.

Try not to let it get to you too much - if it's really, really bothering you, see if she has a manager you can talk to and file a complaint with.

If your hair needs fixing, go to someone you know you can trust. Explain in detail how this other stylist messed up your hair and how you want it fixed, but only minimally cut. If you trust this person, I'm sure they will understand and perhaps sympathize with what you went through.

So sorry this happened - but thankfully hair does grow back:flower:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I'm still hot. I even tipped. Just like you I didn't know what to say.

I've decided to take the Nappy Curly Crown approach and just be insistent on what I want. If they don't want to listen then I leave...even if they are in the middle of it. It's just ridiculous you have to be that way though. They're saupposed to be professional. Some stuff is subjective but stating you want just a half inch cut is pretty black and white. I don't get it.

I may end up learning how to self-trim.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • cakj99cakj99 Registered Users Posts: 575
  • HoneysmokeHoneysmoke Registered Users Posts: 60
    So sorry. Here's what has worked for me.

I ask for quarter-inch trim, thinking it will be more like a half-inch trim. I also say I don't want to lose any length and point out that while I have layers in my hair, I'm not interested in evening them up. (If I get any pushback at this point, I'm outta there. I'm not going to argue with anyone about my hair, and I'm not going to reward bad behavior.) When they take a break to go get a products or to spray, I always check the floor. It's more work for me and I'm sure it's no picnic for the stylist, but I've gotten the trim I wanted.
  • janieboojanieboo Registered Users Posts: 141
    That really, REALLY sucks. I'm sory. Next time, I would go straight to the manager or owner rather than the sylist. And I certainly would never, ever go back there.

I think you could still contact the manager if you really wanted to ... but I would do it in written form, via snail mail. Get everything out, and hopefully they will call you back with an apology.
  • zingarinazingarina Registered Users Posts: 11
    Thanks for everyone's comments! Its nice to know people understand/commiserate. I had a horrendous mullet chop in 2008 (when I asked for a trim) that I've been trying to grow out forever, and it left me with a lot of residual frustration. This latest botched job wasn't as extreme, but still sets me back a few months.

I'm going to start asking for 1/4 inch trims from now on and stick to the salon I trust.
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Registered Users Posts: 546 Curl Neophyte
    Your post brings back visions of past horrible cuts for me. Seems like they LOVE to chop off whatever they want. I feel for you!!

I made a decision to grow my hair long with a few long layers so I would not have to keep getting it cut to keep a "style"

Long healthy hair does not need to be cut very often.
    Once or twice a year I fear a haircut now.
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • dolaresdolares Registered Users Posts: 69
    I am sorry to hear that, it is such a good thing when you can handle your own hair and don't have to go to any stylist. Man if I wasn't so lazy smt. This reminds me of a time in my life that my hair was dying for moisture but the hairdressers I went to were idiots every time I went to them they cut my hair and all my hair needed was moisture. Inches of hair growth gone thank goodness I found someone that saved my hair. I was so angry that I had to grow all of that back but it is growing. Do you use msm and other supplements? growth oil?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file