New Duchess of Curls Curl Enhancer

NicaCurlsNicaCurls Posts: 164Registered Users
First of all, you can get a free sample of this stuff and a 10% off coupon on your first order from their website, www.luvamourai.com when you enter your email address. AND their shipping is free with a $36 purchase (with which you can get a few things, because their pricing is reasonable).

Second of all, it's CG and protein-free. I don't have an ingredients list. The sample bottle is unlabeled and it isn't listed on the website yet, but I did email them for one. In a previous email, this is how the owner described it: "Our new curl enhancer is a lightweight aloe vera gel, which is non-sticky, has a light hold, and is not oily. It truly defines curls and waves and is 96% organic!"

Now for the review. I liked the consistency. It's like a gel, but with more slip. It was very easy to distribute. The scent it sort of minty, eucalyptus-y, but very light and fades quickly. I used a leave-in conditioner then scrunched/raked in about a nickel's worth from roots to halfway down my soaking wet hair. I then scrunched in another nickel's worth into the ends and any other spots I missed. I blotted with a flour sack towel, clipped the roots, and let my hair air-dry.

It dried with no crunch at all. I ended up with soft, shiny, clumpy ringlets. No frizz. It didn't add volume, but it didn't weigh my hair down either. The curls did not stay defined for very long, but as it was referred to as a "light-hold" gel, I didn't really expect them to. I just wanted to get an idea of what it would do on it's own. Tomorrow I'm going to layer a harder-holding gel, like HESMU, on top of it and see what happens. But so far, I have no complaints and look forward to playing around with it.
Pacific Northwest 3a/3b, medium all across the board, possibly porous.

Low-Poo: Trader Joe's Refresh
Co-wash: V05 Tea Therapy Chamomile, Giovanni TTTT
Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm, Yes to Tomatoes, EO Chamomile & Honey
Leave-in: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Sonoma Soap Company First Crush
Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT
Gels: BRHG, Biotera
Stylers/Mousses: Komaza Coconut Pudding, Curls Goddess Glaze

Comments

• NicaCurlsNicaCurls Posts: 164Registered Users
    Okay, so I tried this layered under a mix of HEBE/BRHG gels. The curls did stay shiny and defined for much longer, BUT at the end of the day I still got some spider-web frizz. This may just be my own hair's reaction to aloe, so it's hard to say.

I WILL say, with a drop of coconut oil, I got some good 2nd day hair out of it.

• bergasaurusbergasaurus Posts: 375Registered Users
    I signed up for a sample. How long did it take?
    No cones since 08/25/09. Occasional low poo.
    Fine, normal to low porosity (still not sure which), ii, 3a/3b curls
    Playing with products: HEBE Mousse, BRHG, AOMM, HESMU. Nothing blows my mind just yet. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't think it took more than a week.

I just got an email from the owner with the ingredients:
    Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose (plant derived), Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Lavendula officinalis (Lavender) Essential Oil, Citric Acid

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    NicaCurls wrote: »

Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose (plant derived), Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Lavendula officinalis (Lavender) Essential Oil, Citric Acid

Huh, with those ingredients, I wonder how it smelled minty/eucalyptusy? Looks like there can't be peppermint or eucalyptus oil in it, since not even fragrance is on the list, which is really good for me, since I'm allergic to that second one! Looks like getting the sample puts you on a mailing list. More temptation, lol!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    I received my sample and tried it. Since it was the weekend, I used it per Raiquel's instructions as a gel. Used CJ Rehab as my rinse- out, Eufora LI and then applied the Duchess of Curls into wet hair. Scrunched it in well, then scrunched gently with my Curls Like Us towel and applied a bit more. I have soft, well-defined curls with a bit of frizz. Lots of shine and absolutely no product feel. We'll see how it holds through the day. I will definitely keep experimenting with the product. I think it has potential.

Just some additional information - Raiquel has been very friendly and helpful. Thought it might help to pass along her email information on using it.

The product is safe for color treated hair. It’s best to detangle your hair first in the shower and then apply the product to wet hair. The product works better with the water/moisture already in your hair, so damp/wet hair is ideal. I would towel dry if your hair is good at retaining moisture, but it totally depends on the structure of your curl pattern.

For example, for 3b/3c curls, the product works better on very wet hair, without towel drying, because sometimes the towel can strip moisture. Then the hair cuticles will not be as smooth and will become dry (which could lead to frizz).

But for 3a hair, if you want to apply the product after towel drying, I’d recommend to lightly pat and towel dry your hair downwards to keep your cuticles smooth.
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm looking forward to receiving my sample soon. Thanks for posting your technique and results! :) I will post mine after I try it.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I signed up for a sample.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used it today, in much the way icequeen described. Used the shescentit Coco Creme LI, Duchess of Curls and Aquage Defining gel. No crunch at all. Got tons of shrinkage with nice tight curls and great volume! I did get frizz. Seven hours later, my hair is about the same. Next time, I'd use a harder hold gel to see if I got less frizz.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Used it again today. Less frizz, but curls weren't quite as tight. I used it with my SeaMollient LI and Princess Glaze. I was going to buy it and looked up the ingredients:

Duchess of Curls, Styling Gel made with Organic Ingredients

All it is is thickened Aloe Juice with Lavender EO and preservatives! I think I'll save my money.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love this line so far. I used three of the Amourai products today and am thrilled with the results

Silver Spoon Shampoo: It did have some lather. Hair felt clean without that dry stripped feeling

Knight In Shining Armour: I used this as a DT with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Hair-Therapy-Wrap-p-854.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Hair-Therapy-Wrap-Hair-Therapy-Wrap]Hair Therapy Wrap[/buylink] (heat). My hair was amazingly soft afterwards. I had my hair coloured recently and wanted to do a protein DT. My hair felt really soft.

After applying the Afro Detangler as my leave-in (I always use this when I'm trying new products. It works like a charm with everything I have and is still one of my favourite leave-ins), I used the Duchess of Curls Curl Enhancer.

Duchess of Curls Curl Enhancer: I really liked this. I used it the same way I would use a curl cream. I finger combed it through and then scrunched.

After scrunching one or twice with the Curls Like Us cloth, I plopped with a Curlease towel.

I scrunched in some Curly Q Princess Glaze gel and diffused.

Because it has been pouring rain her ALL DAY :angry5: I scrunched in a small amount of Curly Q Gel-les'c. I use that whenever it could be a frizzy day.

My hair has been amazing all day - despite the weather. I have lots of volume, absolutely no frizz and lots of really well defined curls. Defined curls and no frizz are a hard combination to achieve in this weather. This combination gave it to me.

I admit I am a total junkie and am not shy to apply products. But .... I do have to use a number of products all the time. The Goddess Curls is a really light product. I don't think it would be enough as a gel, but it worked great as a curl enhancer.

The other thing that is worth mentioning is the customer service. It has free shipping when you spend $36 and it made its way to Canada in a little over a week. Most places take 2 weeks.

:wav:

Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • lolutzlolutz Posts: 21Registered Users
    Hi, this is all great info and please add a REVIEW here
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlproducts/view/4666/amouri-organique-duchess-of-curls-curl-enhancer-gel

The new product was added to our database and we need your opinions so please post there too.
    lolutz wrote: »
    Hi, this is all great info and please add a REVIEW here
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlproducts/view/4666/amouri-organique-duchess-of-curls-curl-enhancer-gel

The new product was added to our database and we need your opinions so please post there too.

I posted my review where you asked. Please add the Silver Spoon Shampoo; I didn't it as an option.

Thx :)
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • AlexjoujouAlexjoujou Posts: 2,364Registered Users
    So I used the curl enhancer today (received it yesterday).

First my hair maintained its softness and fullness. That is a plus. I have lots of ringlets. Also a plus. However my more wavy hair is all over the place and looks quite messy and the curls are a bit, IDK, funky somehow and they've gotten quite flat.

So it worked very well on my more curly, ringlet'y, spirally hair---not so great on the more wavy parts.

It certainly is very light on the hair and not producty at all. It doesn't smell bad and it goes on really well. I used a good amount and didn't over do it. My hair is not dry, limp, or lifeless except for the flatter wavy hair.

Overall--it's a winner. I realize it is just aloe and lavendar but it does the trick--I think I would likely mix this with a little bit of something like Mop C (hoping they play nicely together) as I think together they might work well. Mop C alone works well but feels a bit producty and dry--I think this would help.

Of course I've not tried just straight up aloe gel and lavendar. I'll have to do so I guess.

I can't remember the price on this--might be a bit expensive if it is just aloe and lavendar as it looks. I have the deep mask to try as well--hoping that works good. I hope there are no cones in it!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Done experimenting! Loving Spiral Solutions products!

Blog: http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/
    I just received my sample today. So should I use this as I would say, maybe, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or Gel-les'c? Which would mean that I still need a harder hold gel over it...
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    I used it with Abba Gel over it. It is just aloe and lavender so I don't think it has any hold by itself..but others can chime in as well :lol:
    FIA 2c/3aFi

curls2grow wrote: »
    I just received my sample today. So should I use this as I would say, maybe, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or Gel-les'c? Which would mean that I still need a harder hold gel over it...

It's VERY similar to AOMM--no hold. If you've used that, use it the same way--as a "middle" product between leave in and gel.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Huh, with those ingredients, I wonder how it smelled minty/eucalyptusy? Looks like there can't be peppermint or eucalyptus oil in it, since not even fragrance is on the list, which is really good for me, since I'm allergic to that second one! Looks like getting the sample puts you on a mailing list. More temptation, lol!

Ha ha, you know, it probably doesn't smell minty/eucalyptusy. That's probably the lavender I was smelling. I have a terrible identifying smells and flavors. When I worked at a winery, it was well-known I had the worse "nose" of the group!

• icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    I've tried in three times now in various ways and as much as I want to like it, it just doesn't work that great on my hair. I've tried it both as a gel and curl enhancer with no luck. I love the feel of it going on my hair and it does give me good shine and softness. However, my curls are thinner and straggly with it and I don't get 2nd day hair. I'm glad I was able to try the sample and appreciate Raquiel giving prompt helpful suggestions.
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
    Thank you both! I will use it that way too. I appreciate your sharing your experience with it.
    Since it's similar to AOMM, has anyone tried it as a gel mixed with BRHG?

This is how I am going to try it first, mixed with BRHG. I may wait until the weekend to give my first whirl, in case it turns out to be a bad hair day.
    Since it's similar to AOMM, has anyone tried it as a gel mixed with BRHG?

I don't use BRHG, so haven't done it that way. I did use AOMM with the same products and got similar results. I took my LOD AVG and mixed in the same thickener, citric acid and a few drops of lavender EO--and got even better results--less frizz. I like it, but it's not unique.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Have y'all put reviews in over here?

We'd be so grateful if you would! :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    OK I have to do a bit of revision here.

Since I henna'd (and somehow threw my porosity completely out of whack :sad:) this is practically the only product that is working for me. Nearly everything else I'm using makes my hair too oily. I mean OILY, Oil Slick, looks like hair grease oily! UGH!

This product is my saviour--and right now pretty much almost the sole product I am using for any form of styling outside of gel. The only other one that currently works is CJ Smoothing Gellee.

I will be ordering this and probably also getting some products to make my own as well so I can vary it up a bit.
    FIA 2c/3aFi

Alexjoujou wrote: »

Since I henna'd (and somehow threw my porosity completely out of whack :sad:) this is practically the only product that is working for me. Nearly everything else I'm using makes my hair too oily. I mean OILY, Oil Slick, looks like hair grease oily! UGH!

This product is my saviour--and right now pretty much almost the sole product I am using for any form of styling outside of gel. The only other one that currently works is CJ Smoothing Gellee.

I will be ordering this and probably also getting some products to make my own as well so I can vary it up a bit.

I've found that the AOMM and the LOD AVG with additives work as well.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Alexjoujou wrote: »

I've found that the AOMM and the LOD AVG with additives work as well.

I'm gonna give it a try as well. I'll pick some more AVG up. I only had a small amount but I'm going to try AOMM tomorrow. Since I've had to re-do my hair at least 2x a day (today 3X!!!) since I henna'd on Sunday I need something that just solidly works. So far this Duchess of Curls is it. I'm going to whip up some more FSG as well and not add any oil to it so I can use that as well. I've been working late so haven't had time.

Is the lavender EO just for scent or does it help with curl enhancement?
    FIA 2c/3aFi

• CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I tried my sample today. First of all I am thankful for the generous sample size. I tried it today under [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and got really good results. It seemed to work as well as my DM CCB or L&T as far as a curl enhancer without being heavy. I'm going to try adding to my LOTD aloe vera gel and see how that goes. I have not tried AOMM so I can't compare. My hair likes AVG. I am going to compare prices and see if I will purchase the full size bottle. Right now I have enough (actually more than plenty) products and don't really need any more but this is something to consider for me.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    I used this again yesterday and still love it. The weather has been brutal - windy, raining and cold. My hair not only held up for a 18hour work day (bleck - don't ask), but it got me passable 2nd day hair.

I was actually stopped in the hallway and asked what products I had used and by a stranger on the street - she wanted to know how I got my hair to look like that. She was tired of straightening her's.

I still use it with the Afro Detangler leave-in and the Curly Q Princess Glaze; this combo works great for me. The New Duchess of Curls Curl Enhancer and DM's Miracurl are my two current favs.
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    I used this again yesterday and still love it. The weather has been brutal - windy, raining and cold. My hair not only held up for a 18hour work day (bleck - don't ask), but it got me passable 2nd day hair.

I was actually stopped in the hallway and asked what products I had used and by a stranger on the street - she wanted to know how I got my hair to look like that. She was tired of straightening her's.

I still use it with the Afro Detangler leave-in and the Curly Q Princess Glaze; this combo works great for me. The New Duchess of Curls Curl Enhancer and DM's Miracurl are my two current favs.

It has also become my go-to product. I also use the Curly Q Princess Glaze with it instead of my normal BRHG or ABBA...it just seemed to work better. I also tried AOMM yesterday and it was good as well but not as good as the Duchess CCE. I got my order last week and I'm not as fond of the other products. The Hair Mask and the Revitalizer. They are o.k. but did not WOW me. The mask has some wheat protein so that's a big no for my daughter's hair. The revitalizer works o.k. but the smell is kind of icky. Not enough to put me off the product but not great. Natural I guess though.

Anyway I had to post I agree that this DCCE works awesome for me. I had MANY comments last week on my hair--I think people noticed more because of the henna color change. The volume and the curl consistency and the feel of my hair are all HG to me when this is used!
    FIA 2c/3aFi

• wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been liking this better than AOMM. It's similar, yes.... but it seems a little less sticky and a little more moisturizing to me. I'm going to keep using the sample to see if the results are consistent, but I may bite the bullet and purchase this one.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file