Middle Eastern cooking

KateRobertsKateRoberts Registered Users Posts: 286
Does anyone know of any recipe website or cookbook for arabic/middle eastern recipes?

thanks in advance!

kate.

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    try http://www.recipesource.com/. They list recipes by region/country.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • kurlykittykurlykitty Registered Users Posts: 162
    I've a good one at home, I'll look up the title for you tonight. It's like an encyclopedia of middle eastern cooking, with pictures of the common ingredients - very helpful, as it was written in Britain and some of the names for foods are different (aubergines instead of eggplants). I believe it covers North Africa (Morocco to Egypt), southern Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Israel, and the Arabian penisula.

Very good foods. icon_smile.gif
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb
  • KateRobertsKateRoberts Registered Users Posts: 286
    i love ethnic foods. after perfecting my middle eastern cooking, i plan to conquer indian/asian specialities.

yum!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KateRoberts:
    i love ethnic foods. after perfecting my middle eastern cooking, i plan to conquer indian/asian specialities.

yum!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ethnic foods are awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

There is a really good Asian cookbook called "The Practical Encyclopedia of Asian Cooking". They explain the regional similarities & differences, but organize recipes by type like most cookbooks. I believe it covers Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and a few other regions. I want to get a copy of it, but I've just been lusting after it in the bookstore. icon_smile.gif

Edited to correct title and add link.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: KurlyKitty ]
    Kate, the book I've got is "Mediterranean Cookery" by Claudia Roden (1990). This book is out of print but sells on Amazon through their used book marketplace.

There is also "The New Book of Middle Eastern Food" (2000) an updated edition of an earlier title (1972). I do not know if the text was Americanized for this edition or not. You may still have to deal aubergines and tinned meat. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH.

Edited because I had the wrong title for the book I've got at home. The 2000 title is still what I'd recommend, unless you are able to find one of the two out of print books at a used booksellers.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: KurlyKitty ]
  • KateRobertsKateRoberts Registered Users Posts: 286
    thanks a bunch! i'll go check it out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file